• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Around the Horn: Corner infield

I don't think it is such a mystery. Pujols will likely have a similar performance, +/- a few OPS points, and Freese will likely stay the same or maybe improve a bit based upon his late season performance.

What the article fails to mention is that Pujols' decline over the last four years has been historic and nearly unprecedented in the history of baseball as far as all-time greats are concerned. If you look at players with similar production through their age 30 seasons, almost none of them have declined as rapidly as Pujols. Either he's the first of his kind or he's several years older than advertised.

Anyhow, I think it is time to sit Pujols more. Last year he seemed to go through phases where he was just dead with the bat. Was he tired? Sore? Regardless, I think he might put up better numbers playing 140 games a year than 159.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I don't think it is such a mystery. Pujols will likely have a similar performance, +/- a few OPS points, and Freese will likely stay the same or maybe improve a bit based upon his late season performance.

What the article fails to mention is that Pujols' decline over the last four years has been historic and nearly unprecedented in the history of baseball as far as all-time greats are concerned. If you look at players with similar production through their age 30 seasons, almost none of them have declined as rapidly as Pujols. Either he's the first of his kind or he's several years older than advertised.

Anyhow, I think it is time to sit Pujols more. Last year he seemed to go through phases where he was just dead with the bat. Was he tired? Sore? Regardless, I think he might put up better numbers playing 140 games a year than 159.

Very good post AJ.

I think a huge part of Pujols' problem is his stubborn refusal to become more selective. He has a good eye, but he'd rather flail at a bad 3-1 offering than take the walk. he does that time and again. There is no reason why he shouldn't have at least a .360 OBP if he just became a little less selfish up there.

Well it isn't as if Pujols was lauded for his intelligence before. He walked so much because he was so dangerous they couldn't pitch to him. But he used to crush pitches that weren't his favorite still.

He's not the same. Pitches that aren't "his" he can't do anything with anymore and yet still swings. It's a stubborn refusal to adapt.

Great thoughts. I think more time at DH would help. Something like 90 games at 1b and 60 games at DH. My suspicion is Pujols is resistant to be DH. It's not based on anything but a hunch. He strikes me as a guy who is in complete denial of his decline and the adjustments needed. I'd bet he gets offended at the suggestion  of it. 

Great thoughts. I think more time at DH would help. Something like 90 games at 1b and 60 games at DH. My suspicion is Pujols is resistant to be DH. It's not based on anything but a hunch. He strikes me as a guy who is in complete denial of his decline and the adjustments needed. I'd bet he gets offended at the suggestion of it.

Pujols' OPS as a first baseman in 2014: .731

Pujols' OPS as a DH in 2014: .943 (albeit in only 180 plate appearances).

If only Cron could play 1B effective enough to split the starts equally with Pujols.

More than likely though, a repeat of a year ago is in order (70% of Pujols' starts at 1B, the other 30% as the DH).

Pujols can still clearly defend solidly.   But does it take away from his hitting?  

Edited by Angel Oracle