• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The new MLB commissioner is awesome

It's not hard to see the arguments about the Posey's and the Mauer's of the world having shortened careers and less time on the field because they are catching. 

Craig Biggio is probably in the Hall of Fame because he quit catching at a relatively early age.

I once saw Ted Simmons at Cashman Field scouting the then-Las Vegas Stars when they were San Diego's AAA farm club and Simmons worked for the Padres. When he left the stadium it was painful to watch him walk. His gait was like a man in is 80s or 90s.

Before MLB comes up with new gimmick rules to increase scoring or speed up the game they should require umpires to enforce the rules that are already part of the Official Rule Book

Balls and strikes are called according to rule 2.00: "The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." 

Calling balls and strikes according to the rules will no longer force batters to swing at balls six inches off the ground or a foot outside.

Enforce rule 8.04: "When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”

The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball."

No reason to have a debate about a new rule because the "pitch clock" is already there! If a timer on the scoreboard is too upsetting to the purists, then have the umpire count to twelve once the pitcher receives the ball in the same fashion a basketball referee counts the ten seconds as the ball is advanced up the court. Since the rule only applies when the bases are empty, this should be no problem for the home plate umpire. 

Before MLB comes up with new gimmick rules to increase scoring or speed up the game they should require umpires to enforce the rules that are already part of the Official Rule Book

Balls and strikes are called according to rule 2.00: "The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." 

Calling balls and strikes according to the rules will no longer force batters to swing at balls six inches off the ground or a foot outside.

Enforce rule 8.04: "When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”

The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball."

No reason to have a debate about a new rule because the "pitch clock" is already there! If a timer on the scoreboard is too upsetting to the purists, then have the umpire count to twelve once the pitcher receives the ball in the same fashion a basketball referee counts the ten seconds as the ball is advanced up the court. Since the rule only applies when the bases are empty, this should be no problem for the home plate umpire. 

As a high school ump this sounds terrible to me. Behind the plate I have waaaaaaay too much to be thinking and concentrating about. Now I have to count to 12? ......With the exact same pace each time?.........And listen to one side complain that I was too fast or too slow?..........Nope. 

Does it have to be exactly 12 seconds, can't an ump get his point accross by taking a walk out the mound just once early in the game. Or something as simple as before the first batter of the game, walking up to the pitcher and reminding him that the pace has to be swift when no one is on base? In every facet of life when you declare the expectations ahead of time, you will get better results than if you don't. I don't really have too much of a problem if the game slows down a bit with runners on base, although I would like to see less catcher/pitcher mound visits.

As a high school ump this sounds terrible to me. Behind the plate I have waaaaaaay too much to be thinking and concentrating about. Now I have to count to 12? ......With the exact same pace each time?.........And listen to one side complain that I was too fast or too slow?..........Nope.

I am asking this sincerly, when no one is on base, what else do you have to be thinking about. There are no balks, it is just you, the catcher, the pitcher and the batter. You have to keep track of the strikes, balls and outs. I know I am oversimplifying it, but I think you might be overcomplicating it. I haven't umped since I was in high school umping the little leagues, so I am know I am not an authority on this, but I am curious with no one on base, what more is there to think about.

Then have the second base umpire count or a put clock on the scoreboard. Doesn't matter to me. My point is according to the rules, as they are currently written, MLB pitchers are required to deliver a pitch within 12 seconds after they receive the baseball. MLB needs to find a way to enforce a rule that is already in the book instead of adding something ridiculous like banning shifts. 

The reason why I love baseball is it's a thinking man's game and if you strip away the "you have a bat and hit a ball" simpleness aspect of it, it's one of the most complicated sports on Earth. Like the defenders of the shift have said, it's a key strategy and important to the game. I agree there are a lot of time wasting aspects of the game (see: Beckett pitching) but there is literally no reason to get rid of the shift. It's as much part of baseball as the hit and run.

I don't really have an issue with the pace of play. It seems like the regional sports networks, who are almost solely responsible for filling MLB's coffers, should want a long broadcasts with lots of commercial breaks. It's not like they have anything better to air.

The real issue is that networks can't squeeze commercials in between pitches, so the time wasted there provides no income.

But they are. The green screen behind the plate, the little pop out window on the score box that shows a Carl's Jr. ad. On the radio, Terry is going on about Pechanga...

Then have the second base umpire count or a put clock on the scoreboard. Doesn't matter to me. My point is according to the rules, as they are currently written, MLB pitchers are required to deliver a pitch within 12 seconds after they receive the baseball. MLB needs to find a way to enforce a rule that is already in the book instead of adding something ridiculous like banning shifts.

On the bases I'm looking for balks, pick offs, and preparing for where I shift to for every possibility of where the ball is hit and where the runners go. I'm not counting to 12. 

i don't understand how you enforce the "no extreme shift" rule. Are there going to be marks on the field that the defenders can't move past? 

We're gona grid it up! People love dashes painted on the field every yard and lines for every five!!

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

I am asking this sincerly, when no one is on base, what else do you have to be thinking about. There are no balks, it is just you, the catcher, the pitcher and the batter. You have to keep track of the strikes, balls and outs. I know I am oversimplifying it, but I think you might be overcomplicating it. I haven't umped since I was in high school umping the little leagues, so I am know I am not an authority on this, but I am curious with no one on base, what more is there to think about.

To be mentally prepared for each pitch it takes me a lot of concentration. Unlike the catcher I don't get half innings off. It is mentally draining to try to correctly interpret a few hundred pitches.

What I'm also thinking about is the various strike zone for each batter's stance. How are they standing? How high do I go? I'm looking at their feet to make sure they are in the box. I'm keeping track of the count. For lower division High School I am by myself so I am also ready to pounce out when the ball is in play.  

No way I'm going to count to 12 with a metronome perfect beat.

Only way this would work is having a umpire whose sole responsibility is to stare at a clock. 

Keeping batters to maintain one foot in the box is plenty IMO. That would shave off 20 minutes per game. We can call it the Nomar rule. 

i don't understand how you enforce the "no extreme shift" rule. Are there going to be marks on the field that the defenders can't move past? 

In all seriousness it would have to work like 'off-sides' in soccer. It will really suck.

The shortstop is gona get a running start timed perfectly with the pitchers release of the ball, so that he can gain optimal positioning. The batter will then hit the ball to the shortstop, and fans will be able to look towards the second base umpire to see if his flag is up. If the shortstop is offsides, then the ball is dead and everyone walks back. I'm sure we'll be able to go to replay on it as well. I can see it now, the freeze frame, with the line split right through the mound to second base, and up the outfield, the ball in the pitchers hand, highlighted, the shortstop, arguably on the wrong side of the line, highlighted. We'll wait 5 minutes for the guy in New York to figure it out... the result of the game hangs in the balance...

To be mentally prepared for each pitch it takes me a lot of concentration. Unlike the catcher I don't get half innings off. It is mentally draining to try to correctly interpret a few hundred pitches.

What I'm also thinking about is the various strike zone for each batter's stance. How are they standing? How high do I go? I'm looking at their feet to make sure they are in the box. I'm keeping track of the count. For lower division High School I am by myself so I am also ready to pounce out when the ball is in play.  

Only way this would work is having a umpire whose sole responsibility is to stare at a clock. 

Keeping batters to maintain one foot in the box is plenty IMO. That would shave off 20 minutes per game. We can call it the Nomar rule. 

I'm all for focusing more on the batter staying in the batter's box.    Batters rarely needed to step out in the older days, except to look for a quick sign from the 3B coach.    Why should today be any different? 

Surely, surely a second base umpire could count to 12 while still juggling whatever else they have to worry about. Not really that different to NBA refs counting to three, five or eight is it?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I also think that it doesn't have to be on the home plate ump in a big league game, have the 2nd base ump, who has the easiest job of all of them, keep the count.

you can't mess with the shift. players should be positioned where they're most needed. messing with that is a smoke screen.

the best defense against the shift is batters learning to hit into the empty spaces and go the other way. every time i see david ortiz hit against us i always wonder "why doesn't he just lay one down the third base line?"