• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Movies

Michifan

I liked that little big league movie as a kid because it had real guys in it.

For me major league is number 1 by a pretty big margin (although good job mentioning league of their own, thats a good one too). A lot of the classics everyone loves arent a big deal to me. Sandlot, the natural etc (appologies).

Love 61 too. Agree with troll daddy on benchwarmers, its stupid as hell, and i love it. Honorary mention to the baseball scenes in naked gun.

Soul of rhe game was good. Would never have really known too much about satxhel page and josh gibson unless i saw it.

Wonder what gibson could have been. Obviously his numbers are debateable because who knows how good the negro leagues were....but then you see how gibson came to mlb and dominated, jackie robinson etc, and you have to wonder

Always thought it was cool of ted williams to mention them in his hall speech, in the middle of the civil rights era. Probably wasnt going to be too popular when he said it, but williams was his own boss.

Baseball movies I've seen in rough order of preference, with comments:

Favorites

Bull Durham - Arguably the best baseball movie but more fun than magical like The Natural.

The Natural - a classic fairy tale. If you don't like this movie I don't know what to say. You must hate Santa and Baby Jesus.

Very Good Baseball Films

Sugar - Best baseball movie I've seen in recent years. Kind of depressing but gives a realistic depiction of how hard it is to make it.

For Love of the Game - I should probably re-watch this as it might not be as good as I remember. 

Field of Dreams - overrated in my opinion, kinda shmaltzy but still good.

Major League - also overrated but still very fun.

Trouble with the Curve - More of an estranged father-daughter drama than a true baseball movie, but somewhat underrated imo.

Pretty Good Films

A League of their Own - Probably deserves a re-watch and better than I remember.

Moneyball - A good film but without anything special about it.

42 - a good film but maybe a bit overrated. I found it a tad dull.

The Rookie - Good flick although I remember thinking it ended too soon.

Talent for the Game - a totally unknown and understated film. Good fun, and its about the Angels! Sort of.

Soul of the Game - It was good, I think. I can't remember much except feeling bad for Josh Gibson.

Eight Men Out - Very good, but it has been awhile since I saw it.

Cobb - Can't really remember much.

If Nothing Else is On...

Fever PItch - Jimmy Fallon is annoying.

Mr 3000 - Mediocre.

Major League 2 - Ugh.

Bad News Bears - Can't remember. Fun?

Hardball - Starring Keanu How-Did-I-Manage-This-Career Reeves.

Mr Baseball - Magnum PI goes to Japan, moustache and all.

The Scout - I think I saw this?

The Babe - Ditto.

Haven't seen: Sandlot, Bang the Drum Slowly, Pride of the Yankees, Million Dollar Arm, Off the Black, Game 6.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Baseball movies I've seen in rough order of preference, with comments:

Favorites

Bull Durham - Arguably the best baseball movie but more fun than magical like The Natural.

The Natural - a classic fairy tale. If you don't like this movie I don't know what to say. You must hate Santa and Baby Jesus.

Very Good Baseball Films

Sugar - Best baseball movie I've seen in recent years. Kind of depressing but gives a realistic depiction of how hard it is to make it.

For Love of the Game - I should probably re-watch this as it might not be as good as I remember. 

Field of Dreams - overrated in my opinion, kinda shmaltzy but still good.

Major League - also overrated but still very fun.

Trouble with the Curve - More of an estranged father-daughter drama than a true baseball movie, but somewhat underrated imo.

Pretty Good Films

A League of their Own - Probably deserves a re-watch and better than I remember.

Moneyball - A good film but without anything special about it.

42 - a good film but maybe a bit overrated. I found it a tad dull.

The Rookie - Good flick although I remember thinking it ended too soon.

Talent for the Game - a totally unknown and understated film. Good fun, and its about the Angels! Sort of.

Soul of the Game - It was good, I think. I can't remember much except feeling bad for Josh Gibson.

Eight Men Out - Very good, but it has been awhile since I saw it.

Cobb - Can't really remember much.

If Nothing Else is On...

Fever PItch - Jimmy Fallon is annoying.

Mr 3000 - Mediocre.

Major League 2 - Ugh.

Bad News Bears - Can't remember. Fun?

Hardball - Starring Keanu How-Did-I-Manage-This-Career Reeves.

Mr Baseball - Magnum PI goes to Japan, moustache and all.

The Scout - I think I saw this?

The Babe - Ditto.

Haven't seen: Sandlot, Bang the Drum Slowly, Pride of the Yankees, Million Dollar Arm, Off the Black, Game 6.

Great lists, but you need to watch Sandlot and Pride of the Yankees. Best part of everyone's contributions to this thread is that I now have a great list of movies I want to see. 

Edited by Michifan

I thought Curveballs along the way, was a cool time passer

Its about the story of Joe Torre, and since it was so low budget, they had to use clips of real MLB action to supplement the movie

Even if you are a Yankee hater, it passes the time well and gave me some cool facts about the former MVP

Hard to believe that Moneyball is not on more people's list.  I think the movie is amazing.

to be honest, I didn't think it was t hat good of a movie.  The movie only spoke of the OB% and walks in regards to the real moneyball.  It didn't focus on the fact that they had Miguel Tejada an MVP that year and the best pitching staff in baseball.