• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pick a Second Baseman

Revad

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a poll, maybe an administrator can fix it.  Fielding stats are for multiple positions and one option is listed as an outfielder on Angels.com roster.

1)  Build for the future, rule five dive

2)  871 at bats:  308/403/711 with -19.5 URZ in 1113 innings

3)  Where's Howie

4)  239 at bats:  293/347/640 with -2.2 URZ in 126 innings

Edited by Revad

If I can ever figure out what youre talking about in that post, ill give an appropriate response.

It's not really that hard to figure out...  1 - Featherston, 2 - Josh Rutledge, 4 - Grant Green.

He's asking what everyone's pick is.

I'd really like to see what Featherston can bring to the table...  If he's got a glove, he's worth giving a chance.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm going to go with Featherston. He seems capable with the glove and at least mediocre with the bat. His lack of offensive production would be offset by the addition of Joyce.

Green is the best option offensively, but his glove just doesn't seem to cut it. I think after a couple years he could become average at the position but right now he's not at that point. I like Green but I think the team has enough offense that they should go the defensive route at 2nd.

Rutledge I just don't understand. He has nothing to offer other than the most experience. He's a weak defender and a weak hitter. Unfortunately he's probably the most likely option to win the starting job out of ST.

ukyah is correct and Inside Pitch translated admirably. Someone on the recent lineup thread mentioned reading up on Rutledge so I took a look at the numbers and was surprised by the URZ and the OBP. The board has been very slow the last few days so thought I'd throw something out there. Also, I miss HaloThunder.

Edited by Revad

I'd like to see how Green develops defensively. I feel like with consistent AB's, he could duplicate Howie's production. I can't say that about any of the other options this year.

As for defense, none of them are as good as Howie. Featherston will get the job as a utility player because he's solid on both the left and right side of the field, can run and has quite a bit of pop.

But, Scioscia likes vets , therefore Rutledge will be handed the job.

Rutledge I just don't understand. He has nothing to offer other than the most experience. He's a weak defender and a weak hitter. Unfortunately he's probably the most likely option to win the starting job out of ST.

Rutledge played a good portion of last season at SS for the Rockies so I wouldn't think he's a bad defender.....and he has consistently hit in the minors, along with some decent stretches of hitting with the Rockies....I like Green but I'd bet on Rutledge....

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a poll, maybe an administrator can fix it.  Fielding stats are for multiple positions and one option is listed as an outfielder on Angels.com roster.

1)  Build for the future, rule five dive

2)  871 at bats:  308/403/711 with -19.5 URZ in 1113 innings

3)  Where's Howie

4)  239 at bats:  293/347/640 with -2.2 URZ in 126 innings

Just to be clear, #1 (Rutledge) stats are: .259/.308/.711.  I got all excited seeing a +.300 avg. hitter with a +.400 obp. and thought he was awesome.

Edited by Angel Dog and Beer

the funny thing about those ST "competitions" though is that it rarely ever seems like an actual competition. Usually seems like there is a favorite among management that is given every chance to win the job (i.e. the bulk of starts/ABs in spring) and the other guys are just there to push the favorite or as a 'just in case'. I think it's Green's job to lose and that Rutledge will be a utility guy.

Sorry but Giavotella and Yarbrough aren't even mentioned in this conversation and both should be. The former has a real shot at the position and the latter is no slouch although his prospect status very likely puts him in AA/AAA.

the funny thing about those ST "competitions" though is that it rarely ever seems like an actual competition. Usually seems like there is a favorite among management that is given every chance to win the job (i.e. the bulk of starts/ABs in spring) and the other guys are just there to push the favorite or as a 'just in case'. I think it's Green's job to lose and that Rutledge will be a utility guy.

true, but i doubt in this case that if someone outplays them in ST that it would be ignored. i think any of them have a shot, though yours theory is likely where it is going into ST i agree.