• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Putting your dog to sleep

NJHalo

I never realized how much guilt I carried around watching a pet suffer.  It really affected everything I did or said over the course of days and weeks.

Putting the animal down was sad no doubt about it.  After a couple days though, I started feeling a huge load lifted off my back.  Adopting another animal right away helped to get through the sadness...

Man... Sorry dude. This blows.

Several years ago we had made the decision to put a dog down. She was old and severely overweight. Another dog we had was put down because of cancer. When we put him down, our other dog let herself go. She was depressed and didn't do much but eat. When it was her time she could hardly move around. We made the appointment with the vet. A few days before D-Day she was crying in the back yard. She had broken her leg or hip. Just touching her made her cry in pain. My dad wasn't sure what to do. We had some vicodins laying around. He put a bunch of them in peanut butter and she ate them down. Passed out and died in our backyard. That was super rough. My brother and I buried her in the backyard. 

Sorry to hear that you're going through this NJ. I wouldn't wish the death of a family animal on my worst enemy.

This is a pretty cool thing that Buzzfeed did a while back about a family that was putting down their family dog. I teared up just re-reading it right now. Warning though, it gets you emotional.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/this-story-of-a-dogs-last-day-on-earth-is-beautiful-and-hear#.wh7Q6EKyY

Did not make it too far. Got to the 8th pic and had to stop

I thought it was kind of cool. I didn't think I'd make it, but it was about as positive as you can do in the situation.

But man, my little dude is cuddled up next to me and it hit me he's going to die at some point and I don't know if I'm prepared for it emotionally.

I'm really bummed out for you, NJ, and the others here that lost their dog. I've never lost a pet like that...just some fish and I think rodents as a kid.

I am really sorry to hear about your dog, NJHalo. I had to do it with a dog that was my best friend for 14 years. She walked down the aisle with me at my wedding. When the time came, I knew it was best for her. It really is one of the hardest things a dog lover can do. I still think about her often, but I remember the good times, not those last few weeks.

What was equally as hard was not having a dog in the house. We got Opie (profile pic) pretty soon after. 

Thank you everyone for the kind words of advice. I really appreciate it.

The common theme here is to do what is best for the dog, and that should be our priority.

My wife and I are going to talk about "when" tonight after the kids go to bed. My oldest daughter will do OK, but the little one is going to be devastated.

Edited by NJHalo

F+ck that buzzfeed article has me currently in tears. I'm fortunate I haven't had to put down any of my dogs yet.

My uncle had to finally put down his dog of 10+ years last year ( Rocky ). He was a wreck. On the drive to the vet he had my aunt turn around and take him home because he wasn't able to muster up seeing him pass in person. Our entire family sat and cried together for hours.... It'll be rough when I have to say goodbye to all my little buddies.

Sorry to hear about your pup Halo. Do what's best and give it one last day or week of fun and love. The dog would appreciate it more than anything in the world.

Gonna piggyback on something adam said.

When i was younger we had 2 dogs (a 3rd one died when i was too young to get that beat up over it, if that makes any sense). Anyway, our first dog had gotten bad and it was time so we had to put her to sleep. The second dog, who was my christmas gift one year and grew up with, after that got very depressed. Esrlier, we had taken the first dog to rhe vet over night a few times, and my dog stayed up all night crying. When we had to put the other one down, my dog never cried....just got real sad and seemed to age like crazy over the next few months....

Later in life, when my grandma passed away i took over her dog. He was cool as hell. He got old, and it came time...it was super sad, but he was in bad shape, and probably 15 years or so old, so it was time. It was hard but was the right thing to do.

So our first dog was sad to lose, but she was ready. My grandmas dog was sad to lose, but he was ready.

My dog just continued to go on depressed. Never really wagged his tail anymore, didnt get excited, never wanted to go for a walk etc. I still played with him every day just like since i was a kid. So even if he wasnt feeling it, id just hang out with him outside, petting him and reading a book or whatever after school/work.

One day i come home and hes dead in the backyard, with ants doing their thing. And i can tell you that sucked far more than the other two. Obviously he was the dog i was closest to, but just the point of seeing him like that killed me. Ive only cried twice as an adult, and that was one of the times.

So the point im trying to make isnt to bum you out, but just from my experience, its better to send them away peacefully, going to sleep, than risk them collapsing and going slowly when youre at work or somewhere else.

Dont envy you, you have my sympathy

My dog just continued to go on depressed. Never really wagged his tail anymore, didnt get excited, never wanted to go for a walk etc. I still played with him every day just like since i was a kid. So even if he wasnt feeling it, id just hang out with him outside, petting him and reading a book or whatever after school/work.

Since we're talking about animals, I was surprised to learn that birds get depressed too.  These friends of ours have a cockatoo who was never the same after their canary died.  The two birds used to squawk at each other quite a bit.

Ever since, the cockatoo chews its chest feathers off whenever they leave on vacation. 

4089136185_a76d9eb17f.jpg

Thoughts are with you NJ. We had to put down our 8 year old French Bulldog last July. He had seizure problems and despite being on valium, they couldn't stabilize him to do any neural testing. Tough for my wife, it was her first "child" and add to the emotions we had a 3 week old at home. Sweet dog

Shortly before I moved to Las Vegas I had to put down my 15-year-old miniature schnauzer. Smartest dog I have ever owned, the little guy got me through some of the darkest times of my life. When we went to the breeder's house and were looking at the puppies, he grabbed my pants leg with his teeth and wouldn't let go. That is how he was selected. He began having a series of strokes, each one leaving him less able than the one before. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Damn, reading all these stories is really getting me sad, but happy remembering all the good times with my dogs. I had to put one of our Boxers down just over a month ago. She was diagnosed with heart disease (aortic stenosis) back in May, and the cardiologist said we should expect to have around 6-8 months with her.  We immediately put her on four different medications ($$$), and limited her exercise to just slow, short walks around the neighborhood.  Her heart just couldn't handle the activity and would faint because of the lack of blood flow to her body.

We spoiled her rotten during this time, with so much love and affection and good food.  Her last few days we could just tell it was time. Her breathing was labored, she didn't have a lot of energy, and she stopped eating very much.  When Preslee doesn't eat, we know something's wrong.  So, on a Sunday night we could tell she was getting cold, and we knew that was it. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but knew it was time.  Afterward, I felt so relieved that she wasn't suffering anymore, not that she was ever in a lot of pain, but it affected her quality of life. 

NJ, you'll know when the time is right, because you know your dog, and you know how to read them. But its tough losing a best friend. 

I am getting close to that point. Sixteen year old Bichon that has been a saint from day one.

She has dementia, and is relieving herself indoors on a regular basis.

Vet said we are on borrowed time, but I just don't know when to say when.

Has anyone had to make the decision?

Sorry to hear it, bud...

I had to put-down my pal "Schooner" a few years ago, and it was not cool.  He was a Portugese Water Dog, and we had some great times in and around the water (including the first time he jumped-off my kayak and started to sink!).

In his final years, he was losing his balance to hip-displasia.

It will be difficult, but it's in the best interest of the animal humanely.

my older cat is 14 now, which is pretty old.  nothing major with health yet, just arthritis in his front arms. i'm terrified of having to put him down, but i know it's coming.

A couple of years ago we had to put down a cat we had for years. She was a stray, a street cat that my mother-in-law found when she delivered a litter of kittens near her house (my M-I-L still has one of her offspring). She was a domestic shorthair with almost perfect Siamese markings. She rode all the way with us from Oklahoma to Las Vegas, and she never strayed very far from the house. One day when we came home and she struggled to get up to meet us, I knew that it was time.

i love dogs, and would own one if i had a house.

i live in an apartment and have 2 cats, but no shit, they're more like dogs. they come when I call, and play fetch.

my older cat is 14 now, which is pretty old. nothing major with health yet, just arthritis in his front arms. i'm terrified of having to put him down, but i know it's coming.

after having 1 dog die on the 4th of july after being terrified by fireworks, and watching another of mine get put to sleep when i was 17, i have tremendous sympathy for anybody who has to go through the ordeal of losing a companion....that's how i think of my pets anyway, dog or cat.

Yeah, we're in a loft\high rise type dealio. We stayed with a smaller dog and I go to Lowes/Home Depot once a month and get the grass squares and he has a mini lawn out there to poop and piss on.

We had him bell trained but we got lazy with getting up and just got a dog door for the patio.

The only negative is he doesn't like the elevator.

A couple of years ago we had to put down a cat we had for years. She was a stray, a street cat that my mother-in-law found when she delivered a litter of kittens near her house (my M-I-L still has one of her offspring). She was a domestic shorthair with almost perfect Siamese markings. She rode all the way with us from Oklahoma to Las Vegas, and she never strayed very far from the house. One day when we came home and she struggled to get up to meet us, I knew that it was time.

Two plus years ago we had to put down one of our cats. He was young but suddenly had extremely labored breathing one night. Took him to an ER Vet and they found he was just filled with cancer. Surgery was an option but would only give him a year at best. No reason to do that, so we said our goodbyes and went home. The toughest part was consoling my daughter as this was her first time having to put down a pet.