• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deflated Greatness & Super Bowl post game thoughts

arch stanton

I guess that depends on how you define "stopped."  They stopped him from getting into the end zone but he gained 4 yards to get to the 1 when NE was playing to stop the run.  Again I don't disagree with a throwing play from the 1 on 2nd and goal because if it's incomplete you waste some time and still have the last time out but I was surprised to not see a roll out with a mobile QB either throwing to the corner or trying to run it in.

The CB deserves major props and he made a couple other nice plays on that last Seattle possession.  He defended that ridiculously lucky catch as well you could ask from a CB yet he didn't let that get him down and made the biggest play he'll ever make 2 plays later.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Ironically they stopped him the play before.

Grantland played devils advocate and makes a strong case for the call.

I get them trying to kill the clock so that NE has as minimal time as possible. The problem was that in doing so, they actually had an opening (some dude on Twitter broke down the route) and in a split second it went from wasting time to the possible game winner.

The thing is no one is giving the CB props for jumping the route and making the play.

I've read some stuff giving the db credit

It was a stack pick play. He read it. Jumped the route and made a good play. The play call was good but the defender made a nice play. If you really want to nitpick you can argue that wilson lead the receiver too much on the throw. If he puts the ball right under the wr chin strap it would have gave the db no chance at a Int.

the DB made a great play by anticipating correctly and timing it just right. i'm pretty sure he won't have much trouble finding any dates this off season.

i thought the pats made a mistake by not calling timeout once the ball was down at the 5 after that miracle catch, and then again after lynch ran it down to the one. i wasn't bothered at the time by the call, but it's monday morning and my finely honed MMQB skills keep telling me seattle should have run it in. all the kids here are saying it, also, so if a bunch of 12 yr olds are talking it, you know they're correct.

The Pats didn't call a TO when the ball was down at the 5 after the miracle catch because Seattle had to use one of their own or they would have had a delay of game penalty.  Most of the players on the field didn't realize he actually caught the ball which kept neither side from getting down to the 5 and set in time to get a play off.  The only reason NE would have called a time out there is if Seattle got down and tried to run a play.  

It's not so much that they passed that makes me scratch my head - it's that they pretty much showed they were passing by lining up in shotgun formation. A better play would have been for Wilson to line up under center and then run a play-action fake. Either he finds someone in the endzone, bootlegs it in himself, or throws it away. It was a hell of a play by the CB but the call was just too risky, IMO.

I don't believe this to be true... do you?

"I made the decision," Carroll said in exonerating Wilson and Bevell. "I said, 'Throw the ball,' and we went with the play that we thought would give us a chance to get in the end zone."

"It's not the right matchup for us to run the football," he said, "so on second down we were throwing the ball really to kind of waste that play."

Yes i do.

I've read some stuff giving the db credit

It was a stack pick play. He read it. Jumped the route and made a good play. The play call was good but the defender made a nice play. If you really want to nitpick you can argue that wilson lead the receiver too much on the throw. If he puts the ball right under the wr chin strap it would have gave the db no chance at a Int.

in no way was that play call good.  it was horrible.  he doesn't run the ball because the defense is stacked in the middle so what does he call?

a pass over the middle.

stupid, stupid call

"I made the decision," Carroll said in exonerating Wilson and Bevell. "I said, 'Throw the ball,' and we went with the play that we thought would give us a chance to get in the end zone."

"It's not the right matchup for us to run the football," he said, "so on second down we were throwing the ball really to kind of waste that play."

Yes i do.

I'm well aware of what he said after the game. I watched all of the interviews. But I don't believe he made the decision. I believe Bevell made the call and Carroll didn't object to it.

If he "wasted a play" on purpose, he's even a worse coach than I give him credit for.

What's getting no talk is the Pats' position immediately following the INT.  They had the ball at or inside the 1.  Brady was under center and seemed to be standing in the end zone (unable to simply take a knee).  A safety at that point pulls Seattle to within 2 and the Pats would be kicking the ball to them.  A field goal would win it.

So, what do the Seahawks do?  They jump off side.  Now Brady has plenty of room to take a knee ... game over.

Seattle's lack of discipline really bit them in the ass there.  Most penalized team in the NFL, but they were always able to dodge their lack of discipline.  Carroll (and the DC) have got to be stressing to their guys not to jump off sides there.  Two huge coaching fails back to back. 

seattle's defensive coordinator is as good as gone to take the falcons head coaching position. rumors last week were that they were already hiring his support staff even though no official announcement has been made.

Didn't they make that official this morning?

I'm well aware of what he said after the game. I watched all of the interviews. But I don't believe he made the decision. I believe Bevell made the call and Carroll didn't object to it.

If he "wasted a play" on purpose, he's even a worse coach than I give him credit for.

That sounds Norv Turner-like.

Petey told them to throw the ball.  the actual play may have been Bevell's call

it was stupid to throw the ball, especially as a " wasted play"

I guess that depends on how you define "stopped." They stopped him from getting into the end zone but he gained 4 yards to get to the 1 when NE was playing to stop the run. Again I don't disagree with a throwing play from the 1 on 2nd and goal because if it's incomplete you waste some time and still have the last time out but I was surprised to not see a roll out with a mobile QB either throwing to the corner or trying to run it in.

The CB deserves major props and he made a couple other nice plays on that last Seattle possession. He defended that ridiculously lucky catch as well you could ask from a CB yet he didn't let that get him down and made the biggest play he'll ever make 2 plays later.

Yeah, I meant to put another stop when a couple series before they stopped Lynch inside the 5 and they settled for the fg to take the lead at 17-14.

But someone did a write up on the Hightower tackle and how it was the unsung hero because it should have been a td.

It could have been a wasted pass on 2nd down, because with a time out left there was still time for two Lynch running plays from a yard out.

The play should have been designed as a quick look (Wilson quick roll out?), and then dump it beyond the end zone if ANY doubt existed.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

It's not so much that they passed that makes me scratch my head - it's that they pretty much showed they were passing by lining up in shotgun formation. A better play would have been for Wilson to line up under center and then run a play-action fake. Either he finds someone in the endzone, bootlegs it in himself, or throws it away. It was a hell of a play by the CB but the call was just too risky, IMO.

Naw, it's their same read option formation.

It could have been a wasted pass on 2nd down, because with a time out left there was still time for two Lynch running plays from a yard out.

The play should have been designed as a quick look, and then dump it beyond the end zone if ANY doubt existed.

From what I gather from the ex-pros that are now talking heads, this was the idea. However, the opening was there and instead of a wasted play Wilson takes the chance.

Here is the link I mentioned earlier for the best breakdown I've seen today. They have a pic of the build up we've all seen.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

I'm not bbacing anything. With a timeout I probably run the ball twice, I'm just not quick to jump to conclusions, play the second guessing game, or not put everything in perspective.

I mean, we are talking about the same coach that went for it with 6 seconds left before the half. Regardless that they got the td, you don't hear the outrage about the call instead of the sure 3 points. Same thing happened here.

People are too focused on the play call. I'm merely advocating it was a better defensive play.

Another good analysis, but of the math variety.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-head-coach-botched-the-end-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

The more I consider everything and also factor in their redzone offense I don't mind the call and they have the right thought process with the fact they only have two running chances with Lynch and three downs to score but leave close to 0 on the clock.

That was my thought, run play action so the defense has to defend both run and pass. Just that momentary change from run D to pass could have opened a receiver up in a clear area not stacked three deep with Patriots.