• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Luken Baker

KevinJ14

So I was just browsing through the top 50 list for the 2015 Draft, and I stumbled upon this guy...

A RHP/OF with POWER.

Luken Baker
Spring (Texas), Senior
Height: 6'4", Weight: 245
Position: RHP/OF | Bats: R, Throws: R
DOB: 3/10/1997
Commitment: TCU
Twitter: @lukenb9

Scouting Report:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 70 | Run: 30 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50
Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Baker is the top two-way player available in the 2015 Draft. Scouts viewed him strictly as a pitcher before he began displaying his prodigious power at major summer events, winning the Junior Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game and another home run competition before the Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field. Team USA deployed him mainly as a first baseman while winning a gold medal at the 18-and-under Pan American Championship in Mexico in September.

Extremely physical at 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds, Baker generates well above-average right-handed power with strength and bat speed. More than just a grip-it-and-rip-it slugger, he has some feel for hitting too. He has the arm strength for right field but his well below-average speed makes him best suited for first base.

For all his power, the Texas Christian recruit may be more talented on the mound. His size and strength also translate into 90-95 mph fastballs on a downhill plane. His low-80s slider is a solid second pitch, and he also shows some aptitude for throwing a changeup and filling the strike zone.

Here's a video of him winning the HR Derby and becoming friends with Trout:

Fun fact: Trout follows him on Twitter.

He is also currently ranked as 38th in the Top 50 Draft

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2015/#list=draft

Think we should try to get him? Or maybe hope for Chris Betts?

Why would it be a waste of a 1st round pick at #30?

Is it simply because of what's happened with Cowart?

He has solid grades in every hitting, defense, and pitching category, except for running.

Much better him at #30 than drafting Chevy Clarke in a similar spot in 2010, at least Baker has excellent tools aside from running.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm not a fan of so called 'two-way' players because when they get to the big leagues they will be either one or the other. Once drafted they will be made to choose one. Either his hitting skills are irrelevant or his pitching skills are. 

As a hitter I'm not a fan of drafting guys that profile as a first basemen out of high school. There is no defensive upside here. I wouldn't be totally against drafting a no glove hitter if they were more high on him as an actual hitter.

He strikes me as a great all around baseball player, but I would think the deck is stacked against him in terms of a major league career. Maybe I'd be fine with it in the second round, if he gets amazing scores for his 'makeup.'

Save this post and see how wrong I was in six years. :-)