• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Microsoft offers free Windows 10 upgrade, holographic glasses coming

Redondo

Hence the reason they made the upgrade free for most current Windows users.

Eff this shit.

http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/

"“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

While most people are used to ads as the price of accessing free content, writes Meer, Microsoft is not making it clear enough that they are â€œgathering and storing vast amounts of data on your computing habits,” not just browser data.

Opting out of all these default settings requires navigating 13 different screens and a separate website, the bloggers have found."

holy mackerel.

the standard answer is "so we can know which kind of advertiser will most interest you", but i really wonder what the true reasons are behind why they want to collect so much info about each of us.

Keeping track of all sorts of weird habits actually has been correlated to how people spend their money. For example almost 10 years ago Target Corp. was able to tell which of their customers were pregnant before the women themselves even knew. However, to avoid tipping their hand that they knew this, they mailed out ads that were 50% targeted, 50% random to make it appear that the mailed ads were random.

I'm sure by now all kids of generic looking ads are actually extremely targeted more than people realize. I don't doubt that that alone is enough motive for Google and Microscoft to want to collect the data. The troubling thing is if they are strong armed into handing that data over to governments/police etc to go on unwarranted fishing expeditions. Microsoft et al. don't have the authority to throw people in jail or garnish their wages.

Edited by ScottLux

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Since we've reached the year mark I'm starting to think about this...if only to stop the damn popup...Upgrade to Windows 10.

I'll have the full backups and all that crap...but am I going to have to spend a ton of time reinstalling apps and locating serial numbers? 

Automatic Windows 10 installs begin but how easy are they to stop?

From Monday this week Windows 10 will automatically begin installing on many home machines running Windows 7 and 8.1.

Windows users will be able to stop the installation, as they will need to confirm they want the free upgrade to Windows 10 to continue.

But while it can be refused, the upgrade may repeatedly try to install itself on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines.

This marks the start of a new phase in the rollout of Windows 10: Microsoft has changed the status of the upgrade to that of a "recommended" update, which consumer Windows 7 and 8.1 machines typically attempt to install automatically on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...