• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

state of the union

For someone who isn't liberal, you do know a lot about a liberal's mind set Phil.

I honestly just get tired of the excuse-making, the finger pointing (which Obama just did again last night with the "pay their fair share" crap about top earners), and the lack of personal responsibility, which I believe to be a product of the left more than the right.

How often do you hear the left call for cuts to social programs and taxes? How often do you hear them tell those who don't avail themselves of our education system that it is their own fault for failing to do so?

Believe it or not, I am quite the leftie myself on social issues. I just hate their way of thinking on most things economic.

What I find very frustrating is that liberals only talk about individual liberty when it comes to social issues and conservatives talk about liberty only when it comes to economic issues. Aren't they the same? Isn't liberty simply liberty?

I understand that it's a moot point because neither side actually believes in the type of freedom they campaign on but the principle behind it makes them both so hypocritical.

You are 100% correct. In that both regard, both major parties are completely hypocritical.

What I find very frustrating is that liberals only talk about individual liberty when it comes to social issues and conservatives talk about liberty only when it comes to economic issues. Aren't they the same? Isn't liberty simply liberty?

I understand that it's a moot point because neither side actually believes in the type of freedom they campaign on but the principle behind it makes them both so hypocritical.

This is my favorite thing you've ever written on this board in any forum. Truly a great post, in my opinion.

You've pretty much leveled up to troll status. Good job.

I don't think I have ever levied a personal attack on you. I have, over the years, generally enjoyed your posts and believe you to be a smart and informed poster (whether about baseball or other matters), even though I have often disagreed with you.

But for whatever reason, you have elected to make personal attacks on me, merely because you disagree with my opinions.

I don't think I have ever levied a personal attack on you. I have, over the years, generally enjoyed your posts and believe you to be a smart and informed poster (whether about baseball or other matters), even though I have often disagreed with you.

But for whatever reason, you have elected to make personal attacks on me, merely because you disagree with my opinions.

Eh. I think that your newly acquired tendency to paint with such incredibly broad strokes and to generalize rubs me the wrong way. You haven't always posted like that.

Eh. I think that your newly acquired tendency to paint with such incredibly broad strokes and to generalize rubs me the wrong way. You haven't always posted like that.

I think you do the same. I have seen lots of posts from you over the years that are broadly critical of the "right." And that's fine...I may not agree with your characterizations, but I have never assumed your opinions should be construed as personal attacks on those who may believe opposite of you (including myself).

Not every critical statement requires a disclaimer that it doesn't apply to everyone in the group.

I think you do the same. I have seen lots of posts from you over the years that are broadly critical of the "right." And that's fine...I may not agree with your characterizations, but I have never assumed your opinions should be construed as personal attacks on those who may believe opposite of you (including myself).

Not every critical statement requires a disclaimer that it doesn't apply to everyone in the group.

exactly

I would think most people would assert that more than 50% of poor people could themselves, through their own efforts, achieve an economic status greater than "poor." Even liberals. 

Being poor is a vicious cycle that is difficult to break out of.  You can only afford to get cheap crap which keeps breaking (because it's cheap) and you have to keep replacing it with more cheap crap.  Cheap food sucks, and it makes you fat and sick but it's what you can afford.  If you don't have a decent health plan you can't afford to see a doctor for preventative care, and then when you finally have to see a doctor because it's urgent, it costs more and you have to take time off from your shitty job (which means you might be fired and replaced) and then you're even more in the hole.  It's ****ing horrible.

When I was on summer vacation between kindergarten and first grade, my family moved from Denver to Lancaster.  My dad had a sweet civil service job and worked as an auctioneer on the side.  With those two incomes my mom was able to stay home and raise the kids, although she did occasionally work as a nurse.  Starting out here money was tight but eventually we came out comfortably in the middle class.  Times like that are gone.  You can't get a job with a company and expect to both make a decent wage with regular raises, and stay with that company until retirement.  Not only that, but unless you make damn good money you can't afford to have the wife or husband stay at home to raise the kids.  That "bootstraps" shit sounds great but man, is it difficult and it keeps getting harder every year.