• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most teams have the city name on their away jerseys...

I like how people attribute the success of the franchise to changing the team name to "Los Angeles."

As if anybody really associates Los Angeles with the Angels instead of the Dodgers.  As if the Angels still arent one of the least popular teams in baseball.  As if any casual baseball fan knows any Angels player not named Trout, Pujols, or Hamilton.  As if the Angels get anywhere near the amount of press and attention that the Dodgers do.  As if anybody in Los Angeles with no affiliation to Orange County is an Angels fan.  

Edited by QuinlansMinion

I like how people attribute the success of the franchise to changing the team name to "Los Angeles."

As if anybody really associates Los Angeles with the Angels instead of the Dodgers.  As if the Angels still arent one of the least popular teams in baseball.  As if any casual baseball fan knows any Angels player not named Trout, Pujols, or Hamilton.  As if the Angels get anywhere near the amount of press and attention that the Dodgers do.  As if anybody in Los Angeles with no affiliation to Orange County is an Angels fan.  

I attribute the success of the franchise to the ownership group in place and their vision of what could be.  Moreno and company were the ones being mocked by people like Richard Brown and Jackie Autry for thinking the Angels were anything other than a small market team.  People seem to forget that the Angels were at one time among the teams being named as potential contraction candidates, a stark contrast from current day when the Angels are always mentioned as one of the haves, and a large market team.

The only people still pigeonholing the Angels into OC seem to be the people in SoCal.   They won't ever be the Dodgers, no different than the Mets will never be the Yankees, but the second class citizen mindset is something much more common in SoCal than it is outside of it.   I live in South Florida, I see plenty of Angels caps out here and I've had plenty of people ask me if I'm an Angels fan or just sporting the red.  Nobody out here calls them Anaheim, it's always LA....  or.... the Angels.   Personally, I think that's what Moreno was after when he changed the name..  I don't think he was trying to get people in LA to follow the Angels, I think he was trying to get people all over the effing country to know where the hell the team actually played.

As far as the Dodgers vs the Angels thing goes -- the inferiority complex died when the Angels won the WS.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I attribute the success of the franchise to the ownership group in place and their vision of what could be. Moreno and company were the ones being mocked by people like Richard Brown and Jackie Autry for thinking the Angels were anything other than a small market team. People seem to forget that the Angels were at one time among the teams being named as potential contraction candidates, a stark contrast from current day when the Angels are always mentioned as one of the haves, and a large market team.

The only people still pigeonholing the Angels into OC seem to be the people in SoCal. They won't ever be the Dodgers, no different than the Mets will never be the Yankees, but the second class citizen mindset is something much more common in SoCal than it is outside of it. I live in South Florida, I see plenty of Angels caps out here and I've had plenty of people ask me if I'm an Angels fan or just sporting the red. Nobody out here calls them Anaheim, it's always LA.... or.... the Angels. Personally, I think that's what Moreno was after when he changed the name.. I don't think he was trying to get people in LA to follow the Angels, I think he was trying to get people all over the effing country to know where the hell the team actually played.

As far as the Dodgers vs the Angels thing goes -- the inferiority complex died when the Angels won the WS.

Booyah!

As if anybody really associates Los Angeles with the Angels instead of the Dodgers. As if the Angels still arent one of the least popular teams in baseball. As if any casual baseball fan knows any Angels player not named Trout, Pujols, or Hamilton. As if the Angels get anywhere near the amount of press and attention that the Dodgers do. As if anybody in Los Angeles with no affiliation to Orange County is an Angels fan.

youd might be suprised

Not arguing the dodgers are the bigger show in town, but theres plenty of angel hats around LA (not just the bloods from athens park), and ive seen angel hats in just about every major city ive traveled to. Not to mention most of america outside of the la basin considers disneyland, huntington beach etc as 'LA'.

Fun fact, you see twice as many mets hats as yankee hats in ny.....

IP said it better than i did.

Dead on about how we view things in socal vs the rest of the country. Can anyone here (locals) think of any other region of the country we refer to as a county? Me neither. Its a local thing to consider orange county some unique place.

Orange County and LA are both unique places, and they are entirely different.  My point about people in LA not supporting the Angels was this.  From what i've seen, anyone who has no affiliation to Orange County and grew up in LA/lives there currently, is a Dodgers fan.  Obviously I cant speak for 100 % of the population there, but this is just from my experience.  Im sure there are many Angels hats in LA and at Dodgers games, those are likely people who at one point lived in Orange County/went to school here, and then moved to LA.  My point is, the Angels will never capture the LA market the way the Dodgers have, which is fine because frankly they have a big enough market right where they are.  Like I said earlier, the Ducks seem to be doing fine to me.  

The other argument was that the name change was for people in other parts of the U.S. who dont know where Anaheim is.  I dont think the name change has really done anything to give the Angels any kind of exposure they wouldnt have previously gotten had they not changed anything.  We still dont get much attention nationwide, still suffer from east coast bias.  Even with Trouts greatness, hes been robbed of 2 MVPs.  Weaver was a dominant pitcher for several years in a row and was consistently a Cy Young candidate, but even with his postseason success nobody around baseball ever really considered him one of the best pitchers in the AL and you never heard his name brought up anywhere.  The Angels are constantly slept on and forgotten about, and no matter how much talent we have every year we will never be favored to even win our own division.  I bet this year many people will not pick the Angels to win the West, even though they are clearly the favorites.  Meanwhile, these same people will probably predict a Dodgers-Yankees World Series.  

Orange County and LA are both unique places, and they are entirely different. My point about people in LA not supporting the Angels was this. From what i've seen, anyone who has no affiliation to Orange County and grew up in LA/lives there currently, is a Dodgers fan. Obviously I cant speak for 100 % of the population there, but this is just from my experience. Im sure there are many Angels hats in LA and at Dodgers games, those are likely people who at one point lived in Orange County/went to school here, and then moved to LA. My point is, the Angels will never capture the LA market the way the Dodgers have, which is fine because frankly they have a big enough market right where they are. Like I said earlier, the Ducks seem to be doing fine to me.

The other argument was that the name change was for people in other parts of the U.S. who dont know where Anaheim is. I dont think the name change has really done anything to give the Angels any kind of exposure they wouldnt have previously gotten had they not changed anything. We still dont get much attention nationwide, still suffer from east coast bias. Even with Trouts greatness, hes been robbed of 2 MVPs. Weaver was a dominant pitcher for several years in a row and was consistently a Cy Young candidate, but even with his postseason success nobody around baseball ever really considered him one of the best pitchers in the AL and you never heard his name brought up anywhere. The Angels are constantly slept on and forgotten about, and no matter how much talent we have every year we will never be favored to even win our own division. I bet this year many people will not pick the Angels to win the West, even though they are clearly the favorites. Meanwhile, these same people will probably predict a Dodgers-Yankees World Series.

It wasn't about exposure, it was about TV advertising revenue.

We were arguing about this in 2005.  We are arguing about this in 2015.  Good god, I find it depressing that we will probably be arguing about it in 2025.

Personally, I have always found the name change 'fake'.  Like Tim Whatley on Seinfeld, converting to the Jewish faith (and then telling Jewish jokes).  You can tell yourself that the team is LA, and most here can buy into it.  I can't, and don't.  And any Dodger fan worth his salt can bone you about the fakakta name "LA Angels of Anaheim" for so long, your head will spin.  Of course, here on this board, people preach to the same choir about how great the name is.  Not unlike a bunch of drunks telling each other how they really don't have a problem.

The football arguments make the least sense.  NY Giants, NY Jets.  Or the Detroit Pistons in the NBA.  These are terrible arguments.  None of those teams were names "east Rutherford" or "Auburn Hills" - then switched, like the Angels did.  Let alone win a world's championship with the home town name, like the Angels did.  And then bringing up the LA Rams - that wouldn't be the same LA Rams who spent 14 years in Anaheim, then bailed - THOSE LA Rams??

I am in favor of Arte shutting the hell up, and moving the Los Angeles Angels to Los Angeles.  It rings true.

I only speak for myself.  The name change effected my fandom then, and it has since.  I have never been the same fan as I was before.  I know it isn't rational, but its what I think.  Its fake.

We were arguing about this in 2005. We are arguing about this in 2015. Good god, I find it depressing that we will probably be arguing about it in 2025.

Personally, I have always found the name change 'fake'. Like Tim Whatley on Seinfeld, converting to the Jewish faith (and then telling Jewish jokes). You can tell yourself that the team is LA, and most here can buy into it. I can't, and don't. And any Dodger fan worth his salt can bone you about the fakakta name "LA Angels of Anaheim" for so long, your head will spin. Of course, here on this board, people preach to the same choir about how great the name is. Not unlike a bunch of drunks telling each other how they really don't have a problem.

The football arguments make the least sense. NY Giants, NY Jets. Or the Detroit Pistons in the NBA. These are terrible arguments. None of those teams were names "east Rutherford" or "Auburn Hills" - then switched, like the Angels did. Let alone win a world's championship with the home town name, like the Angels did. And then bringing up the LA Rams - that wouldn't be the same LA Rams who spent 14 years in Anaheim, then bailed - THOSE LA Rams??

I am in favor of Arte shutting the hell up, and moving the Los Angeles Angels to Los Angeles. It rings true.

I only speak for myself. The name change effected my fandom then, and it has since. I have never been the same fan as I was before. I know it isn't rational, but its what I think. Its fake.

I'm still waiting to hear or read a single post talking about the name being great. At best there are those of us who either understand it or don't care about it. I don't understand being bitter about it, but to each their own.

Personally, i prefer anaheim angels. 5hat said, i understand what arte was thinking. Whether or not its had any effect is irrelevant...its his dog, he can name it.

To QM, i agree OC and LA are two very different places. That said, it only is to us. And in reality, south OC has as much in common with north OC as it does woth LA...LA is not all south of the 10 and along the 105. Theres plenty of parts of it that look like tustin, anaheim hills, etc. And anaheim, garden hrove, buena park and the like are really no different than downey, monterrey park, bellflower etc.

More to the point, people from the bay differentiate between us as much as we do east bay vs the rest....or brooklyn vs queens etc.

If trout hadnt come along, would any of us know new jersey was so culturally 'philly'?

I'm still waiting to hear or read a single post talking about the name being great. At best there are those of us who either understand it or don't care about it. I don't understand being bitter about it, but to each their own.

California, LA, Anaheim.   I just didn't give a rip...   The of Anaheim on the other hand is stupid and yeah, I actually did grow up in Anaheim...