• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much does one year of Zimmerman cost?

santini1

He's worth more than there is in the cupboard. Don't get me wrong, I would loooove to see a front line guy added, just don't think it's the time. The Angels keep leaping up the draft board with other teams losing their picks, the team avoids another colossal contract, and sets them up to add someone next year or maybe even the year after that. Get Zimmermann, Cueto, or even Porcello next winter. 

I don't understand this. He's had 4 months of dominance in his MLB career. He isn't proven. String 2 or 3 seasons of this together and then its proven. Do I think Richards will keep this up? Yes, most likely, but he isn't proven. Zimmerman would solidify this rotation.

I agree, but Zimmerman would cost us at least Newcomb+2 and there's no guarantee Zimm would be here after this season.  It's extremely risky.

I don't understand this. He's had 4 months of dominance in his MLB career. He isn't proven. String 2 or 3 seasons of this together and then its proven. Do I think Richards will keep this up? Yes, most likely, but he isn't proven. Zimmerman would solidify this rotation.

So now our rotation needs to be solidified?

What happened to the "all we need is Moncada and we're done" crowd?

I think we're one of the top teams right now IMO.

So now our rotation needs to be solidified?

What happened to the "all we need is Moncada and we're done" crowd?

I think we're one of the top teams right now IMO.

You can never have enough starting pitching. I love our lineup and bullpen but I'm not doing cartwheels over our starting pitching. Like we discussed in a thread earlier last week, we have the potential to have a dominant rotation, but that means a lot of things have to go right.

1- Richards comes back strong and continues on his 2014 success.

2- Weaver? "Bounces back" in 2015. Does he regress or improve upon his 2014 season?

3- Shoemaker- Does he repeat his 2014 season? 

4- Wilson- Has to bounce back and get a decent season under him.

5- Heaney/Tropeano/Santiago- What to expect from this?

Looking at it from my view.. Nothing here really is a lock. Zimmerman would be a huge boost here. Not saying we have the pieces for him or if we're even interested in him but it would be nice.

You can never have enough starting pitching. I love our lineup and bullpen but I'm not doing cartwheels over our starting pitching. Like we discussed in a thread earlier last week, we have the potential to have a dominant rotation, but that means a lot of things have to go right.

1- Richards comes back strong and continues on his 2014 success.

2- Weaver? "Bounces back" in 2015. Does he regress or improve upon his 2014 season?

3- Shoemaker- Does he repeat his 2014 season? 

4- Wilson- Has to bounce back and get a decent season under him.

5- Heaney/Tropeano/Santiago- What to expect from this?

Looking at it from my view.. Nothing here really is a lock. Zimmerman would be a huge boost here. Not saying we have the pieces for him or if we're even interested in him but it would be nice.

Ignoring who we'd have to give up, it would be nice. 

I just have a hard time being as skeptical about our top guys. 

Now that doesn't mean I think Shoemaker will go 16-4 again, but I also don't think he'll start walking 4 guys a game and give up 35 HR's. 

Only questions in my opinion are how Heaney and Tropeano will pan out. But I have faith in our Top 3 without a doubt. 

If he is available as a FA for say 5 years/$110 million, I'd seriously consider it.

Zimmerman has been very consistent the past 4 seasons, and only turns 30 in May 2016 without a huge MLB innings workload.

Dude, look at the contract Scherzer just signed and then reread your post. No way in hell Zimmerman would sign a contract like that.

Zimmermann should net exactly one top prospect. His expected production (which is less than last season mind you) combined with his salary should net exactly the kind of player we acquired for Kendrick.

If a team pays more than that it will be out of desperation.

People are really blowing his value out of proportion to the remaining length of his contract and the money he is owed.

Dude, look at the contract Scherzer just signed and then reread your post. No way in hell Zimmerman would sign a contract like that.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to suggest he'll get 22 million a year. He'll likely end up with 6 years but unless he wins the Cy Young in 2015 I don't see him getting anything remotely close to what Scherzer got.

I could see him getting 6/132, or perhaps 6/144.

It's funny though because Zimmerman is probably the better all-around pitcher. He won't strike out as many guys (thus why he likely won't win the Cy Young any time soon) but he'll put up better overall stats. Strikeouts and Cy Young awards seem to carry a lot more weight than consistency. Shields has been far more consistent than Scherzer has as well but he will be lucky to see the contract AO proposed.

It depends.   Scherzer got that much because of the restructuring.

If teams increasingly restructure contracts, then yes it is likely an underwhelming amount.

But if Scherzer's deal was a one trick pony, then it's not a far fetched amount although maybe instead of 5 years/$110 million it would need to be around 6 years/$132 million? 

Zimmerman is a consistent guy with rock solid stats.   But he isn't an elite pitcher, just one who would fit in very well as a #2 guy in the Halos rotation.  And as tdawg said, he would be a better get long term for this rotation.

Edited by Angel Oracle

One year of Zimmerman, first you'd have to pay the Nats enough to not have him for a year, then pay them enough for the draft pick they'd lose in compensation when he signs elsewhere.

I'm guessing he'd cost Tropeano, Bedrosian and Yarbrough.

You really think Zimmermann would only cost those 3 dudes?

Yeah, something around there. The Nats can't expect to get Heaney for 1 year of Zimmerman (it's a miracle the Angels did, but HK will stay with LA, doesn't want to move his family).

Tropeano gives them pitching depth now and in the future, Bedrosian slots into the late innings very soon and Yarbrough is their starting 2B by 2016. That's a lot to get.

But I suppose if you want to take all 3 off the table and offer Newcomb you could. In any case, it'd be stupidity for the Angels to meet their asking price.

The team built to win now and in the future. There's a ton depth right now and in 2-3 years you're looking at Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, Newcomb and Santiago. Why mess with that?

Nats are looking for a 2B long term so Yarbrough is an obvious choice. Kubitza could make sense too since they could shift Rendon over to 2B.

Zimmerman is set to make about 16 million dollars. He's about a 4.5-5 WAR pitcher so you're looking at an about 20-ish million dollars of surplus value. That's not nothing but it's also not worth a ton either.

I would say Yarbrough, Bedrosian and a lower level guy like Almonte would be a reasonable package.