• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scherzer signs 7 year with Nationals

Richard

Could you imagine if the Angels signed him, this board would be awful, eight years from now, when the team is still paying for him.

So, how does this really work against the luxury cap? I am assuming it would still be a $30 million a year hit to the tax over the next 7 years, then in years 8-14 they will still be paying him, but it won't go against the tax?

That's what they were saying about the A's last season when they traded for Lester.

The A's had a great starting rotation last year, but even with Lester it still couldn't match the National's. With Scherzer, the Nationals actually have 3-4 starting pitchers who are aces. The A's rotation had like 2 real aces.

I still think Scherzer is overkill for the Nats (1st in ERA last season, 2nd in WHIP). But it will be interesting to see how things play out,

here's why you should care: agents will use scherzer's contract as a baseline for why their guy should be paid the same or a little bit more when the negotiate his next contract. none of these contracts exist in a vacuum.

Well if any pitcher asks for that type $$$ he better bring his credentials to the table with him. There's a very small list of players that can do that.

Could you imagine if the Angels signed him, this board would be awful, eight years from now, when the team is still paying for him.

So, how does this really work against the luxury cap? I am assuming it would still be a $30 million a year hit to the tax over the next 7 years, then in years 8-14 they will still be paying him, but it won't go against the tax?

I think you know my opinion on mega long term contracts. They're very risky and they usually don't pan out. #Yankees #Teixeira #Sabathia #Rodriguez 

I'm trying to imagine toward the end of the contract, when the Angels would be paying just south of $60M for Pujols and Scherzer, with Pujols over 40 and Scherzer rapidly approaching it. The deal would have been a bit high but much more understandable at four years. You would believe that teams would have learned from our experience about throwing large long-term contracts at players on the wrong side of 30.

here's why you should care: agents will use scherzer's contract as a baseline for why their guy should be paid the same or a little bit more when the negotiate his next contract. none of these contracts exist in a vacuum.

tank, if you're really having lunch with the amazing johnathan, tell him thanks for the good times and the memories. i know that he has little time left and i appreciated his massively in bad taste humor. the world needs more of it.

tank, if you're really having lunch with the amazing johnathan, tell him thanks for the good times and the memories. i know that he has little time left and i appreciated his massively in bad taste humor. the world needs more of it.

no, ukyah, just one of the lines I throw around here. I had no idea he was sick. Just looked it up. Doc gave him a year to live because of his heart. Awful news.

To their credit they did get Scherzer to agree to a 7 year contract that won't be paid out for 14 years...

That's actually not true -- Baseball has a lot of self made millionaires. There are a few that inherited their fortunes -- the Monfort's, Pohlads, and Nuttings come to mind but, the majority actually made their own way. Baseball is kind of cool in that regard, a lot of guys that were lifelong baseball fans who worked their tails off and ended up buying a team. Heck, the guy in Philly actually worked as the scoreboard operator in Philly for a while.

I bet the mets owners are stuck working scoreboards to save money.

Tigers lost something like 33 wins with the exit of Scherzer and Porcello.

Good point, that could prevent them from making the post-season.  

The offense will be fine with adding Cespedes.   

But outside of Price, the rotation features a declining Verlander and an oft injured Sanchez. 

The bullpen is mediocre.

But fortunately for them, Cleveland is stalled and KC may regress some.    The ChiSox could end up being the main threat in the AL Central in 2015.