• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Last Moves

UCLAngel

Seems like the Angels' offseason is pretty much complete.  The last things I'd like to see happen:

1. Sign a hard-throwing relief pitcher on the cheap.  Someone like Albers or maybe take a cheap flyer on Crain.

2. Moncada. From everything I've read, he sounds like a top-10 talent.  The farm badly needs some top-tier positional talent.  Baldoquin was a start, but we'll be significantly hamstrung in Latin America for a few years with the penalties.  Clearly, it'll take a lot of money to get him, but he'd be a huge fix for our most glaring weakness.

I think it's been a good offseason.  Need to get spring training underway.

I think Moncada is going to be a $100,000,000 roll of the dice, and I just don't see the Angels going there.

I'd love to see one more top-flight relief pitcher brought in, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe a reunion with Margaret if the price is right.

I think Moncada is going to be a $100,000,000 roll of the dice, and I just don't see the Angels going there.

I'd love to see one more top-flight relief pitcher brought in, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe a reunion with Margaret if the price is right.

I think Thatcher owes us a minor league deal with a spring invite. I'd imagine the FO would like an opportunity to salvage something from that deal.

Would be interesting to see how the K-Rod/Soriano/Janssen market plays out....

Reality is the Angels are a better team with Cole than they are with Calhoun. Hamels gives the team the best rotation in baseball.

Are they a better team in the long run with hammels than with calhoun plus top prospects?

I'm not advocating a trade involving Calhoun ... just stating a fact.

the yankees, red sox and dodgers are all going to open the check book for moncada  to the tune of close to 100mil by the time the penalty tax is paid.  I see very little chance of us being part of that bidding war and even if we were, I don't see us winning.  

I'm fine with the team as is.  I could see JD making a couple of moves at the deadline.  But for now, I think we're done.  

Calhoun has much more upside than Joyce. I think we havent seen the best of Calhoun yet.

20 homers and an .800 OPS next year for Calhoun.

You are right ... Calhoun is a keeper. My point was that Hamels makes us a much better team.

Love to see the Angels add a top rotation starter. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Edited by Troll Daddy

TD I agree with you that a top of the rotation starter would be fantastic, but not at the expense of Calhoun. Maybe I value him more than others because he is home grown, but I feel he's our 2nd best hitter, and defensively he's miles ahead of Joyce. My dream scenario is Scherzer's price comes down or the Nats sign Scherzer and we trade for Zimmerman.

You are right ... Calhoun is a keeper. My point was that Hamels makes us a much better team.

Love to see the Angels add a top rotation starter. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Calhoun had 3.6 WAR in 127 games last year. Hamels had 3.8 WAR in 204.2 innings. 

Given the fact that Hamels may enter out of his prime soon and Calhoun is entering his prime, I would say the 2 are equal in terms of value. Add in the fact that Hamels is making 20+ million a year and Calhoun will making 1-2 million and it's a pretty clear choice to keep Calhoun IMO. 

Calhoun had 3.6 WAR in 127 games last year. Hamels had 3.8 WAR in 204.2 innings.

Given the fact that Hamels may enter out of his prime soon and Calhoun is entering his prime, I would say the 2 are equal in terms of value. Add in the fact that Hamels is making 20+ million a year and Calhoun will making 1-2 million and it's a pretty clear choice to keep Calhoun IMO.

Angels would trade Calhoun in a heartbeat if that's all it would take. Phillies would just laugh at the offer.

Nice try kid

Angels would trade Calhoun in a heartbeat if that's all it would take. Phillies would just laugh at the offer.

Nice try kid

Why would the Angels trade Calhoun for Hamels if they could've just signed Lester and gotten the same pitcher while keeping Calhoun?

Hamels is great but he's marginally better than Calhoun and is much more expensive.