• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seth Everett mentions Angels are interested in James Shields

KevinJ14

There's no way the Angels will sign this bozo or Scherzer. This team doesn't even need another starter—let alone one that would cost $100M+ & luxury tax. I'd personally like to see the Angels sign another solid hitter or BP arm. Colby Rasmus would be a nice acquisition...

I'm curious at what price the Angels become interested along with finding a suitor for CJ

Me too. At some price, you know they must have interest.

But I think CJ is immovable at this point, only because I think almost all teams are done spending their off-season money.

There's no way the Angels will sign this bozo or Scherzer. This team doesn't even need another starter—let alone one that would cost $100M+ & luxury tax. I'd personally like to see the Angels sign another solid hitter or BP arm. Colby Rasmus would be a nice acquisition...

Maybe uniting Colby with Cory can reinvigorate Colby?

Rasmus reminds me of Howie Kendrick in the sense that people have never accepted him for what he is because of the expectations put upon him as a younger player.

He's never going to be Matt Holiday, but hey may yet put together a string of Nelson Cruz like seasons.

Of course the Angels are interested. Doesn't mean they're serious about it. If the price drops then why the hell not? Come playoffs though, he's starting game 4? I'll take a flyer on him for 10-13 million.

this. I don't think they're actively pursuing him by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they've reached out to his agent to say they like Shields but have limited resources to allocate towards a FA right now, so it's sort of a "keep us in mind, depending on how things play out for your client" kinda thing.

I'm curious at what price the Angels become interested

i totally agree with this. if his price is dropping below 100 million, then he starts to look like a potentially good investment. people need to understand just because he's not an ace, doesn't mean he's not an above average pitcher. if you paid #2 money for him, then i'd be all for the angels getting him. our 1st round pick is the last pick in the round. so, we're not giving up too much in that sense, either.

Nobody in their right mind would take CJ unless the Angels paid all but 5m/year of his salary.

the reports of cj's demise are greatly exaggerated. he had a bad year. it has happened before. i expect him to come back and be the sometimes really good and sometimes maddeningly bad cj of yesteryear. 

Rasmus reminds me of Howie Kendrick in the sense that people have never accepted him for what he is because of the expectations put upon him as a younger player.

He's never going to be Matt Holiday, but hey may yet put together a string of Nelson Cruz like seasons.

i agree with your larger point, i've always called that the eric chavez syndrome, but cruz hits around 40 hr a season. rasmus isn't going to do that. he's a decent player. somewhere between a really good bench player and a slightly avg. starter.

Edited by ukyah

Of course the Angels are interested. Doesn't mean they're serious about it. If the price drops then why the hell not? Come playoffs though, he's starting game 4? I'll take a flyer on him for 10-13 million.

he's not signing for 10-13 million. either per year or on a one year flyer contract. he's getting his multi year deal this year. 

i agree with your larger point, i've always called that the eric chavez syndrome, but cruz hits around 40 hr a season. rasmus isn't going to do that. he's a decent player. somewhere between a really good bench player and a slightly avg. starter.

Trippy --- That's actually the guy I tend to think of first (Chavez).

Reason I say he may yet have some Nelson Cruz seasons in him is his age..  pretty crazy but Rasmus is only 28, which is the same age Cruz was when he had his first and prior to last year only 30 HR season.  Like Cruz, he's a hacker too but yeah -- Cruz has better raw power.

Rasmus has been around for so long I think most people think he's older than he is.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Totally. Honestly, I think Colby can be a great player and I'd rather I have him in the lineup instead of Hamilton.

I think the O's are rumored to sign him, though.

Reason I say he may yet have some Nelson Cruz seasons in him is his age..  pretty crazy but Rasmus is only 28, which is the same age Cruz was when he had his first and prior to last year only 30 HR season.  Like Cruz, he's a hacker too but yeah -- Cruz has better raw power.

Rasmus has been around for so long I think most people think he's older than he is.

27 is when Cruz actually started cheating, he just didn't get caught until 2 years ago.  Now, like Melky and Big Papi, he's simply moved on to a more sophisticated substance that either isn't tested for or is simply not traceable right now. 

This is interesting logic.  I see you and a lot of other people on this board saying we dont need another starter, but these are the same people who think Richards and Shoemaker will be mediocre next year while Weaver will be a 3-4 starter.  

admittedly, i thought he was older than 28.

27 is when Cruz actually started cheating, he just didn't get caught until 2 years ago. Now, like Melky and Big Papi, he's simply moved on to a more sophisticated substance that either isn't tested for or is simply not traceable right now.

No offense but were to you come up with this info (crap)?.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I'm not that big on Shields but if you can get him for 4/70 I think you do it.

Richards

Shields

Weaver

Shoemaker

Heaney

Would be a good rotation with Santiago and Tropeano providing depth

Shields for 4 years/$70 million is borderline, similar to Nibs' per year salary and for one less season.

Maybe, I would do that.