• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

TGFD

Bruce Nye

Thank God For Dipoto

No GM in the Angels history has focused on keeping the 25 man roster in place (except for Howie) while ensuring the minor league organization is re-built to provide a wealth of young talent to keep the team competitive.

To be sure, not all moves will work out, but he realizes talented youthful prospects is the answer.  From the draft to the off-season moves, JD has impressed me.

Bravo

Initially, I was really excited by the hiring, both in his resume and what he was saying.  And then he seemed to do a total 180 when he signed Pujols and Hamilton.  But, finally, in the past 2 seasons, I think we are getting to see what he can do when he is given some autonomy.  Makes you wonder what could have been if he'd been given the reins from the start.  I'm not a fan of all of his moves, but find myself liking a lot more then I'm disliking.  

But ask me again in July... 

Why is that a fore gone conclusion? Outside of rumors on AW is there any substantiation on this assertion?

"Moreno instructed new GM Jerry Dipoto to inform Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, that the Angels were interested and then asked to speak with Pujols on the phone."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pujols-331375-moreno-angels.html

..and yes TGFD. The Angels now have pieces that would be in other teams top 10 prospects. Been a while since we could say that.

Edited by Richard

Dipoto's like a good prospect that you have high hopes for but struggles in his first couple years, and then, just when you're about to give up hope, has a break through year. I think he's done a great job this year, and pretty much since the awful 2012-13 offseason.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Why is that a fore gone conclusion? Outside of rumors on AW is there any substantiation on this assertion?

Where do you want to begin?

Arte said as much indirectly while also saying directly he talked to Pujols and went out to Texas to seal the deal with Hamilton.

Both players even said Arte made the impact for them to sign.

And that's before you even get into insider info that seems pretty legit. I'm pretty sure if those failed moves weren't Artes that both Sosh and Dipoto would have been fired when they were on the hot seat and underachieved two years ago.

He has managed to take a farm that was last in baseball to probably somewhere closer to the middle third, while sacrificing only one year of a good second baseman and a backup catcher.

He has acquired a whopping 22 club controlled seasons worth of what appears to be major league competent starting pitching (Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano and Heaney) for three years worth of a one-dimensional DH and one year of said good second baseman.

He has done an outstanding job. I believe he has taken this team to the point where it is just one or two more young impact players away (Moncado!) from being set up for the long term as well as or better than any team in baseball (including everyone's golden-child organization, the Cardinals). And that is shocking considering that a year ago we were on the fast track to becoming the Phillies or Mets.

Edited by wopphil

Dipoto's like a good prospect that you have high hopes for but struggles in his first couple years, and then, just when you're about to give up hope, has a break through year. I think he's done a great job this year, and pretty much since the awful 2012-13 offseason.

You're limited in resources when the owner decides to drop serious coin on two players.

He has managed to take a farm that was last in baseball to probably somewhere closer to the middle third, while sacrificing only one year of a good second baseman and a backup catcher.

He has acquired a whopping 22 club controlled seasons worth of what appears to be major league competent starting pitching (Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano and Heaney) for three years worth of a one-dimensional DH and one year of said good second baseman.

He has done an outstanding job. I believe he has taken this team to the point where it is just one or two more young impact players away (Moncado!) from being set up for the long term as well as or better than any team in baseball (including everyone's golden-child organization, the Cardinals). And that is shocking considering that a year ago we were on the fast track to becoming the Phillies or Mets.

How quickly they forget Bourjesus...

He has acquired a whopping 22 club controlled seasons worth of , Santiago, Tropeano and Heaney) for three years worth of a one-dimensional DH and one year of said good second baseman.

Carlos Perez was also a great acquisition. His name gets lost in the shuffle due to being labeled a back up catcher, which I think is inaccurate. IMO, Perez could end up as a solid regular providing plus defense and an above average bat.

Edited by SoWhat

Great post wop. Great point about how were closer to a st louis type org than the mets/phills wgere we seemed to be headed.

I still want moncada personally. I dont expect to happen, just wishful thinking. But for now the team is still set to compete with just about anyone, and it looks like the future is potentially falling into place as well. Dipoto has done a very good job

When it comes to prospects I've always been skeptical until proven otherwise. I like the fact the team is getting younger but I'm on the wait and see bandwagon.

I view free agents and trades as a team decision involving many employees. Dipoto has a young staff helping him in his every move.

Good call. Dipoto has done a hell of a job. The MLB club looks incredibly deep and strong right now while the farm system is trending in the right direction finally. We're players in the international market and we have heaps of young, cheap pitching. There's still a lack of decent hitting prospects, but you can't blame the man for that. To turn the mess he was given into this is incredible.

When he's effed up it's tended to be one giant clusterf**k (think Blanton, which was so obviously an awful signing at the time). But that hasn't been very often and the good has been very good. I don't have him at the same level as Stoneman yet, but I think he's getting there.

And of course Dipoto was against the move and only signed Pujols because of Moreno. It wasn't because most people viewed Pujols ad the best hitter in baseball

"Moreno instructed new GM Jerry Dipoto to inform Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, that the Angels were interested and then asked to speak with Pujols on the phone."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pujols-331375-moreno-angels.html

..and yes TGFD. The Angels now have pieces that would be in other teams top 10 prospects. Been a while since we could say that.

And of course Dipoto was against the move and only signed Pujols because of Moreno. It wasn't because most people viewed Pujols ad the best hitter in baseball

No one is debating who Albert Pujols was when they signed him(I, like many others here, was at the December Press Conference), but it did prove that Arte was the driving force behind acquiring Pujols and it wasn't an AW rumor.