• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Last chance for Kaleb Cowart?

KevinJ14

With the recent acquisition of Kubitza, does this mean that this is Cowart's last chance to prove he is worthy of being a 3B? Some writers suggest that Kubitza is our future at 3B, which makes me think that Angels would convert him to a Pitcher or just trade him. Haven't looked at much numbers because I am busy at the moment, but I figure that this may be the case because they are both LH and play 3B

Although he starts his 23yo season in 2015, he doesn't turn 23 till mid year.  So he's still a couple years younger than the average age at AA.  At this point, he's got no real value to the halos if he becomes a reliever because he's most likely back to A ball at best and would probably be 3 years away from making it to the show if he were to at all.  By that time he would be a minor league free agent unless they add him to the 40 man which seems unlikely for them to do.  So I don't see them putting a bunch of resources into developing him as a reliever and then letting him go off into the sunset or being forced to put him on the 40.  

He's still a very good defender, has solid plate discipline and showed a wee bit of progress at the plate last year.  Sometimes guys flame out, and sometimes it just clicks a little later than for most.  He's clearly got some talent and has two more years of minor league time before having to be added to the 40 man or become a free agent.  If he shows some progress this year and then is moved to AAA next year, he's still only 24yo by mid 2016 in AAA.  

He's not the prospect we'd hoped he would be, but it's still more valuable to the club long term to see if he can be a late developing player even if it amounts to him being a platoon 3bman with good defense.

By comparison, Calhoun played in high A where he was already 23 to start the season.  Then he moved to AAA and spent two years there before becoming a starter at the major league level at age 26.

Just because Cowart isn't going to be Chipper Jones, doesn't mean he can't be a Todd Frazier or even a Trevor Plouffe.  

I'll gladly call him a bust if he can't get to the majors by age 25/26, but for now, he's just no longer a top prospect.   

Right, Cowart's career is hardly over. He'll repeat AA again at age 22-23, which is about right in line with the typical solid to good AA prospect - and the same age Kibutza was last year at AA. Hopefully this move both takes the pressure off a bit but also inspires him to take it up a notch.

I think it is ridiculous to say that last year was his "last chance." He had a bad year in 2013, so going into last year the thinking wasn't "This kid gets one more chance" but more "Let's hope he learns and gets back on track." That said, I do think 2015 is his last chance as a hitter, that the Angels will strongly encourage him to go back to pitching if there's no signs of progress. But even a bit of progress - which I think will happen - will be enough to let him continue developing.

As Doc said, I could see Cowart being one of those players that get's to the majors around 25-26, and then blossoms at 27-28 and becomes an above average player for several years. Some players just need a bit longer to figure it out. Look at someone like Alex Gordon, a 1st round draft pick - also a third baseman - who made it to the majors at 23, Cowart's age in 2015, but didn't really figure things out until 27.

Just a few tidbits, Alex Gordon destroyed minor league pitching. His arch nemesis was a major league breaking ball. His breakthrough came when he learned how to recognize it and just stopped swinging. Cowart's issues are everything on the outer half of the plate or above belt high, in AA.

I do agree with you that Cowart holds little value to the Angels as a RP.

Sergio Santos is a great comp. once a top 100 prospect as a SS who was thought to be a future 3B or 2B. He flamed out, took up pitching, took 3 years and turned into a good major league set up man.

The Angels already approached Cowart about a switch and he simply said no. The kid isnt interested in pitching, he wasn't in high school either.

Scotty, my point in bringing up Gordon was simply and only as an example of a highly touted player who took a bit longer to figure things out. Cowart was never as good a prospect as Gordon, and will almost certainly not be as good as Gordon, but he could--if we're lucky--follow a similar trajectory in terms of when he finds his groove in the major leagues.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cowart shipped elsewhere, especially if he continues to struggle. He does still have some value and perhaps a new environment would help.

Scotty, interesting what you said about the outer half of the plate. When he played in orem i thought that was the aspect that he needed to improve on. He just slapped and flailed at everything on the outer half and had zero power from the left side of the plate. I haven't seen him play since orem but that stinks he made zero progress.

If the Angels ask him to pitch or tell him he's going to be released, he'll be on the mound. I think Kubitza goes to AAA as the 3rd baseman for most of 2016, while Cowart repeats AA. Some have said he's still young for AA, and he is the second youngest on the Travelers roster…Yet 2015 will be his fifth full minor league season. Comparing him to  guys signed from college like Calhoun or Alex Gordon aren't the best comparisons because those two were drafted at the age of 22 and 21 respectively.

Calhoun spent the 2010 season after being drafted in Rookie Ball. 2011 in High A, skipping Low A entirely. 2012 was Spent mostly at AAA, and he got a call up to the bigs. 2013 was back and forth from AAA and the Majors, because of injury. 2014 he was obviously a major league success.

Gordon was drafted in 2005, didn't play minor league ball until 2006. Played immediately at AA. He was in the Majors the next year in 2007. Went back to the minors for parts of 2009 and 2010. Took 2011-2012 in the majors before people regarded him as a Star player.

Other players have repeated a level and gone on to be stars, but I can't recall anyone repeating three times and turning into a Legit Major Leaguer.

Scotty, my point in bringing up Gordon was simply and only as an example of a highly touted player who took a bit longer to figure things out. Cowart was never as good a prospect as Gordon, and will almost certainly not be as good as Gordon, but he could--if we're lucky--follow a similar trajectory in terms of when he finds his groove in the major leagues.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cowart shipped elsewhere, especially if he continues to struggle. He does still have some value and perhaps a new environment would help.

The interesting thing about Cowart is that despite his offense completely cratering there are guys around baseball who still say he has the tools/skills to be a solid player.  Even Keith Law who many feel is a bit harsh on the Angels farm system has been slow to completely punt on Cowart.   Maybe Cowart is one of those guys who will always just look better than he plays at, but there is a reason he's getting another chance.