• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most Americans are one paycheck away from the street

I did music - but the key (pun intended) is that i also did computer science and electrical engineering.

music was fun, eecs pays the bills.

i also minored in philosophy because im a masochist.

The son of some friends of mine majored in music composition in college. He couldn't find a decent job for several years so he went back and got a Master's degree in computer science. Now he's making six figures.

I only know a few people making real money in music.

One went to kind of a trade program at a small college around Pasadena and lives in LA as an engineer working boards. Not sure his income.

Another was simply someone that made it big and instead of blowing their money built a legit music studio and they continue to do well after the band has fallen off the map.

The last one I can think of is similar to the degree portion. I have a second cousin that is a piano player with the degrees, etc. She lives in SF and plays all the concert halls and big events around the city and I believe teaches during the day. I think she was kind of a prodigy with the piano and I know she is pretty renowned. Not sure of the income, but living in an expensive area like SF and doing really well is telling.

That's 3 people out of however many millions don't make it in the industry. Music is a tough career choice, especially how music is disseminated these days. It's tough to just simply make it, then you have to have the foresight to do what that Macklemore guy did and own all of his own music and recordings.

That seems true of a lot of music degree people. A couple of friends of mine in the Marines had PhD's in music prior to joining the Marines as musicians to pay off the debt. They were a married couple. Both are now in the computer industry making lots.

The number of people with liberal arts degrees working actually working outside of their fields is pretty big. I could easily have gotten administrative office work with my degrees and made about as much as I do now as a teacher. My nephew got his degree in criminal justice which everybody thinks is useless outside of criminal stuff (and unless you have a Masters in the field, it's hard to get a non-police job), but he's a fraud investigator for a credit union making very nice money.

The ability to think, articulate lucidly, and organize is at a premium now more than ever.

Ok Cez, now i have to call you out which is mixing your other thread.

Marines?...with PHDs? Pfft....

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_200472723.asp

If you really think about it, I think maybe you could understand how a writing-intensive degree program that focuses on a specific culture would be useful to public relations firms, advertisers,political groups, and business adminisrators, not to mention business and law schools looking for diverse applicants, and businesses and lawfirms looking to hire those with backgrounds in those fields.  

The chicano, african american, gay, etc. populations of the US might not be something you care about or find important, but it's big business whether you understand it or not.

Anyway, I wasn't kidding about finding the comments about the classes funny.  It's especially funny because most lawyers I know say that what they learned at law school has very little relevance to the actual practice of law...and it's true of teaching, too.  The names of the classes I took...good lord.   

How do you know those degree programs are writing intensive?   I'm sure it varies by university and even more by specific professors, like every degree would.  I'm also confused how having one of these degrees makes a person a "diverse applicant" as you stated. 

I'm sorry, but the lack of a foreign language requirement makes those degrees a joke.  We'll have to agree to disagree on that. 

"Thumb print or bite mark"

I think my favorite is either the coast guard once a day having to explaon theyre part of the military, and air force calling their boss by his first name because it annoys the other branches.

I used to tell the ones who reported to me to use the 2 rank rule. If an NCO had 2 more stripes than you then you couldn't use his first name at work. I was considered a hardass.