• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most Americans are one paycheck away from the street

As long as we're talking student loans funded by the government, someone needs to draw a line in the sand and reject certain majors and fields of study. 

What's the point of loaning someone $150,000 when there's a 99.999% chance they will NOT find a job in their field of study?  This all but guarantees they will default on their student loans at some point. 

I pulled up CSUF's list of majors just for fun.  Many of these have no use if you wanted to switch careers and work in an office, for example. 

BFA Art History

BFA Ceramics

BFA Crafts

Preparing the next generation to host Antique Roadshow? 

BFA Dance

BFA Guitar

BFA Jazz

BFA Keyboard

BFA Voice

Unless you already have talent, the degree isn't going to help you.

BA American Studies

BA Afro-Ethnic Studies

BA Asian American Studies

BA Chicana Chicano Studies

BA European Studies

BA Latin American Studies

Wouldn't you get a better perspective by living in these countries for a few years?

BA Women's Studies

You can also Minor in Queer Studies

If they finish the full IB diploma in high school, they usually only have to do 2 years at university to get an BA.  It depends on the major, of course.  

These kids are the ones that get their education paid for by the government, actually. There's a misconception that northern European countries just pay for everything no matter what.  

i did full IB and still had to do 4 years of college.

effin merica!

I was originally a music major, and then became an English Literature major.

Probably 2 of the most useless degrees possible, heh.

I realized it after 2 years, but still wanted to stick with English because I enjoyed it so much. Ended up stopping the Literature track, and decided to go on the Ed track instead. Good decision since I like being employed and stuff.

If I was going to do my education all over, I'd have studied some form of business or human resources/industrial relations. Something that actually has jobs available.

the BFA degrees you listed are really lame, yeah. especially at smaller schools that will take terrible musicians and artists into their programs.  it's even worse at the MFA level. 

all of the "studies" degrees you listed are specifically geared toward office work

That must vary by university because I don't see how the curriculum for any of these is geared toward office work.  Some don't even have a Foreign Language requirement.

At CSUF, most of the classes offered by the Chicano/Chicana Ethnic Studies department are so useless, you just have to laugh...

CHIC 303    Cultural Differences in Mexico and the Southwest

CHIC 304    Music of Mexico

CHIC 305    The Chicano Family

CHIC 306    Barrio Studies

CHIC 313    La Chicana

CHIC 315    Chicano/Latino Theater

CHIC 316    The Chicano Music Experience

CHIC 330    The Evolution of Mexican Literature

CHIC 331    The Chicano Child

CHIC 332    The Chicano Adolescent

CHIC 333    Mexican Literature Since 1940

CHIC 336    Main Trends in Spanish-American Literature

CHIC 337    Contemporary Chicano Literature

CHIC 340    Mexican/Chicano Intellectual Thought

CHIC 350    Mexican Life and Culture

CHIC 353    Mexico Since 1906

CHIC 360    Chicanos and the Law

CHIC 367    Latino/a Spirituality and Religion

CHIC 480    The Immigrant and the Chicano

As long as we're talking student loans funded by the government, someone needs to draw a line in the sand and reject certain majors and fields of study. 

What's the point of loaning someone $150,000 when there's a 99.999% chance they will NOT find a job in their field of study?  This all but guarantees they will default on their student loans at some point. 

I pulled up CSUF's list of majors just for fun.  Many of these have no use if you wanted to switch careers and work in an office, for example. 

When I attended the University of Oklahoma, one of my friends got a master's degree in Oriental History. No idea what he planned to do with it. I believe that he wound up selling appliances somewhere.

Another worthless degree was the first one I got (BA Psychology) and its close cousin (BA Sociology). Neither field of study gives you any kind of shot at anything with less than a master's degree, and psychology usually requires a doctorate. My degree got me a dead end desk job with the State of Oklahoma, and pushed me toward nursing school.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

When I attended the University of Oklahoma, one of my friends got a master's degree in Oriental History. No idea what he planned to do with it. I believe that he wound up selling appliances somewhere.

Another worthless degree was the first one I got (BA Psychology) and its close cousin (BA Sociology). Neither field of study gives you any kind of shot at anything with less than a master's degree, and psychology usually requires a doctorate. My degree got me a dead end desk job with the State of Oklahoma, and pushed me toward nursing school.

I have a friend with an BFA Art degree.  She's worked at Starbucks for a few years now, currently the Assistant Manager.  The reason she hasn't been promoted is because the Manager has a MFA in Music. 

Both of them work there for the health insurance, and keep striking out looking for better jobs.

I was originally a music major, and then became an English Literature major.  

Probably 2 of the most useless degrees possible, heh.  

I realized it after 2 years, but still wanted to stick with English because I enjoyed it so much.  Ended up stopping the Literature track, and decided to go on the Ed track instead. Good decision since I like being employed and stuff. 

I did music - but the key (pun intended) is that i also did computer science and electrical engineering.

music was fun, eecs pays the bills.

i also minored in philosophy because im a masochist.

I did music - but the key (pun intended) is that i also did computer science and electrical engineering.

music was fun, eecs pays the bills.

i also minored in philosophy because im a masochist.

Did the Music degree program offer any business or legal skills to prospective musicians? 

You know... stuff like sending invoices for performances, how to run a music school, making sure your creative work is protected by copyrights.  How about advertising or marketing yourself to new venues?  I would think being a musician is like being an entrepreneur, so to teach those skills makes sense.

I'm betting none of that stuff was required or even taught?