• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Approaching 6 months since the Street acquisition....

And I know that I wasn't so well receptive of the trade when it happened, being worried about the "lost Rondons".

Seeing things as they have unfolded with the org over the past year though, it is clear that although those Rondons were traded away, JeDi is quick enough to replace them with new Rondons.

In other words, there is a clear strategy that was seemingly lacking with the Reagins regime.

JeDi doesn't seem to panic, unlike Reagins. 

I have a good feeling about the direction the org is heading in, and the lack of "aging star for big contract" deals these past two off-seasons reaffirms that good feeling.

They just have to get beyond the Hackilton (after 2017) and Nibs (after 2016) contracts now to free up that money.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I wasn't to happy after the Street trade myself. I thought our BP was sufficient at the time.

But I can confidently say I've been proven wrong and I love the direction the team is going the last 2 years.

I may not always agree with the moves that Dipoto makes in my amateur opinion but apparently JeDi knows what he's doing because we win baseball games.

Being a couch GM is just too much fun though.

And I know that I wasn't so well receptive of the trade when it happened, being worried about the "lost Rondons".

Seeing things as they have unfolded with the org over the past year though, it is clear that although those Rondons were traded away, JeDi is quick enough to replace them with new Rondons.

In other words, there is a clear strategy that was seemingly lacking with the Reagins regime.

JeDi doesn't seem to panic, unlike Reagins. 

I have a good feeling about the direction the org is heading in, and the lack of "aging star for big contract" deals these past two off-seasons reaffirms that good feeling.

They just have to get beyond the Hackilton (after 2017) and Nibs (after 2016) contracts now to free up that money.

so Street didn't have a 3.50 era?

so Street didn't have a 3.50 era?

Yep, that was a wee bit harped on by myself.

Street ended up with a 1.71 ERA here, although the WHIP was a little high at 1.18.   The WHIP was a bit expected though, in going to the better hitting league. 

The important thing is that he wasn't much of an E ticket, converting 17 out of 19 save chances and allowing just 1 HR in 26 innings with the Halos in 2014.

And he allowed just 2 base runners in 3 ALDS innings (both BBs).

Getting back to the JeDi discussion, the two players most expected to be missed on here were Alvarez and Rondon.

Sure enough, he likely took care of one of them in getting Gott as part of the trade, and likely handled the other by signing Baldoquin.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The name that gets looked over the most in that trade is Eliot Morris. At the time, pitching was thin in the minors and losing him upset more than any other prospect in the deal.

Receiving Trevor Gott really soften the blow of losing Alvarez. I watched Gott pitch in the AFL and came away impressed. What opened my eyes was his plus fastball in the mid-90s that had a ridiculous amount of movement. I can see why Dipoto wanted him in the deal

Edited by SoWhat

I hated the trade at the time, but am now closer to neutral on it. Gott appears to be pretty comparable to Alvarez, and Lindsey really struggled in AAA. Morris seems like a decent but not great prospect, but losing Rondon is what really sucked. Now though, the presence of Baldoquin could make up for the loss of Rondon.

Edited by wopphil

Rondon has CRUSHED 3 homers in more than 1000 minor league ABs

To be fair, his isolated slugging, to this point in his minor league career, is just barely lower than that of another shortstop who shall remain nameless (but who is known for gift baskets and oil paintings).

Just sayin.

Edited by wopphil

To be fair, his isolated slugging, to this point in his minor league career, is just barely lower than that of another shortstop who shall remain nameless (but who is known for gift baskets and oil paintings).

Just sayin.

but when he was 20, Jeter had 126 ABs in AAA and 120 in AA

Rondon has yet to play above A ball

I don't know why anyone would think differently about the trade now as opposed to when it happened. Street came and did what was expected - be very good. He's an excellent reliever who made this team better. But the package we gave up could and should have netted us something more valuable at the time. It's not the worst trade ever, but it's still not a good one either.

One thing ill day about street is that for the first time in a long time, you felt it was a wrap when he came in to the game. I think he blew one save for us (may have been two?). And it was never a real nail biter, it was just a strictly business 'lets best the traffic' feeling when he came in. Very refreshing.

We may have given up too much, who knows. But its nice to have fixed a major need.