• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Klaw: "Darin Erstad gets named on one ballot. Glad every voter takes his responsibility seriously."

NrM

You still haven't explained why it's relevant there are other steroid users in the Hall of Fame.

It's a really terrible argument. Imagine getting hauled in front of a judge for DUI and saying "My friend Jim drove home from the bar plastered last week and didn't get caught or punished therefore you should let me go". That would get laughed out of court.

How many Hall of Fames has Lou been elected to?

Because this has nothing to do with DUI's.  This is about baseball.  Nobody ever had a problem letting roid users in until now.  There are many users in the hall, if the Hall of Fame doesnt allow cheaters then they should kick anyone out who was ever accused of using.

And stop with the DUI argument, its a horrible analogy and makes no sense.  

Because this has nothing to do with DUI's.  This is about baseball.  Nobody ever had a problem letting roid users in until now.  There are many users in the hall, if the Hall of Fame doesnt allow cheaters then they should kick anyone out who was ever accused of using.

And stop with the DUI argument, its a horrible analogy and makes no sense.  

which known steroid users are in the HOF?

I like QM's bravato with all this. He basically hates the HOF but comes into each thread and tells us all that Bonds is the shit and belongs in the Hall. He completely ignores that we all agree Bonds was a great player, but ignores the cheating aspect. He then lashes out at us for having standards. Or he simply puts words in our mouth about this entire subject. Never change QM, please.

He then lashes out at us for having standards. Or he simply puts words in our mouth about this entire subject. Never change QM, please.

How was I lashing out?  If anything you're just a bit too sensitive about this.  Its just an argument im making, im not lashing out at anyone.

But since I seemed to offend you ill stop arguing about it.  You win, Bonds is a cheater and doesnt belong in the hall.  

I wont be arguing about this anymore.  Ill be interested to see the next few years if yours and the HOF voters criteria will stay the same.  There will be more steroid names on the ballot and I have a feeling one of them will get in.

i'm sure one of them will. 

as for my criteria, you don't have to wait.  It won't change

...injecting himself in the ass with boom boom juice.

AngelsWin should adopt a word filter so when "steroids" is typed, it instead replaces the word with "boom boom juice" - well done tdawg, you never disappoint.

As for the guys who "may" have done boom boom juice but never got caught and found themselves in the HOF: as far as I'm concerned, at a point in time MLB drew a line. They made the rules, then went from there. I'm sure a bunch of guys were doing stupid stuff and breaking records that never got caught, but it's all he said she said speculation at this point. I can't stand how some people want to take a solid line and bend it with asterisks and excuses just because they like the players. Boom boom juice was not allowed and banned, and that's it. If these were guys before the ban thought that what they were doing wasn't cheating, why would they deny it and hide the fact that they took it? Even though they knew they would get caught and so many people knew what happened?

I'm not a fan of the steroids era, at all. But at some point, you have to give it up, and understand these guys knew they were cheating. They denied it to try and save their asses, then fans want them to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. And IMO that just shouldn't happen. Sorry Bonds, Hank Aaron did it legally, you were obviously doing boom boom juice, hope you enjoyed your fame at the time, but that's all you get.

By the way, let's not forget this thread is about DARIN EFFING ERSTAD, one of the most fearless and badass Angels to ever play the game. I'm glad he got a vote.

He definitely deserved it.

Chiming with a few things....

1. This thread has illustrated that the BBWAA is not to be blamed for keeping PED guys out of the Hall. The BBWAA has the same difference of opinion that fans/broadcasters/players have. Unless the HOF says specifically to the voters that they want the PED guys in or they don't, it's going to be a divisive issue, no matter who votes. I don't believe the HOF will ever do this, because they'd rather pass the buck and have fans blame someone other than them.

2. As for Pete Rose, again the HOF decided that he's not eligible. Not the BBWAA. He has never appeared on a ballot.

3. It frustrates me to see people disparage the entire voting body based on the actions of a tiny percentage. In whatever job any of you do, I'm sure if I found 549 people in that profession, I could find a few that did something strange.

Jeff, I think one of the biggest challenges I find with the system isn't that many of these writers who now view themselves as guardians of the game...and our children (steroid use...what will we tell our children...*faint*)...and yet they were the ones covering the game during the steroid days, and I don't recall seeing a lot of articles about steroid use. They talk about these "whispers"...and yet none of them were talking about these whispers, or apparently looking very hard to identify if they were true...during the steroid era. More than just a little appearance of hypocrisy there. If baseball turned a blind eye...they had a lot of willing accomplices.

Chiming with a few things....

1. This thread has illustrated that the BBWAA is not to be blamed for keeping PED guys out of the Hall. The BBWAA has the same difference of opinion that fans/broadcasters/players have. Unless the HOF says specifically to the voters that they want the PED guys in or they don't, it's going to be a divisive issue, no matter who votes. I don't believe the HOF will ever do this, because they'd rather pass the buck and have fans blame someone other than them.

2. As for Pete Rose, again the HOF decided that he's not eligible. Not the BBWAA. He has never appeared on a ballot.

3. It frustrates me to see people disparage the entire voting body based on the actions of a tiny percentage. In whatever job any of you do, I'm sure if I found 549 people in that profession, I could find a few that did something strange.

Jeff,

Does the HOF still have that whole character thing as part of the criteria?   Its been a long time since I bothered to look, but so long as that's there, it's pretty much a free for all.  The whole pushing agendas thing gets old, but it's always going to happen.  I agree the voters catch too much flak.

Regulation the HOF voting seems an awful lot like herding cats.  I wouldn't want either job.