• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: 10 years later, how big of a deal was Angels' name change?

That's pretty much my feeling on it, too. The team's referred to just as the Angels, regardless. I grew up in NYC where the New York Nets, Jets and Giants all played across the river in New Jersey, so the geographic discrepancies in the name don't really bother me...

And as for Los Angeles being different from OC, absolutely. However, there are a LOT of different parts of LA, with a lot of different cultures and ways of life. It's very diverse, and to say that it's all a cesspool is a little misguided, IMHO. I mean, Bel Air, Playa del Rey, Brentwood, Westwood and the Hollywood Hills are all technically and legally part of the city of Los Angeles.

And if you look at LA County as a whole you've got Marina del Rey, Malibu, Culver City, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, El Segundo (which is known as Mayberry...), Beverly Hills, etc. etc. etc...there are a lot of places there that are absolutely wonderful.

If we look at the OC there are huge differences in how people live, too - not everyone in OC lives well. There's probably a huge difference in the quality of life for someone living in the parts of Anaheim with gang activity vs. Languna Beach.

Exactly. People not from LA assume its all south of the 105 and along the 110. Its not, and theres plenty of nice communities.

The same people assume all of orange county is anaheim hills, not anaheim... its not.

And thats without considering that most who were mad at the name change were saying it was an OC thing vs LA thing...so should they have been the orange county angels? That would sound just as stupid.

the distinction between the two was lost in the 90s when the strongly republican orange county elected liberal democrat loretta sanchez to congress. any difference between the two was destroyed at that point.

Who cares what they voted on.  That has nothing to do with how people live their lives and how everything is built. 

I like how fans of the name Anaheim Angels think the name was changed to Anaheim from California Angels because of the name of the city. Ummmm... no. If Disneyland was in Brea, they would have changed it to the Brea Angels.

It had less to do with the actual city and its citizens and more to do with Disneyland.

Edited by xboom28x