• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interview question bugged me today, doubt I get job

As some of you know I recently moved to Northern Virginia. I have been applying to some teaching jobs and I had my first interview today. I was not very excited because the school I applied at is very low performing and has a very high turnover rate.

Interview was going pretty well and than the principal said,

"I notice in your background that you have not taught at ethnically diverse schools. Have you looked at ethnic demographics of this school and how do you think you are going to do here where there is so much ethnic diversity?"

This bugged me because both of the schools I taught at were very diverse. The high school I taught at in California had 4 ethnic groups that made up more than 20% of the population (Hispanic, White, African-American and Asian). The school I taught at in Washington was not as diverse, but still several different cultures. I think what the principal wanted to know is how I would do teaching all black kids, but he wouldn't ask that.

I responded,

"I looked up this school and it is 93% African American. This would actually be the least diverse school I have ever taught at, as I have never been at a school that was majority one race. As far as how it effects my teaching it would not, I treat every student with respect and my goal is to motivate them to learn, regardless of race, religion, sexuality or any other background. I make an effort to get to know all of my students in order to help them succeed."

I doubt I will get the job.

In all seriousness, I would have said something along the lines of "After researching your school and the demographics of the student body, I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity. As an educator I learn just as much from my students as they do from me."

Or, I would have said "Can I bring a gun to school?"

I don't see how anything you said is wrong.

That being said if you want a job and are being interviewed, you don't tell them what you think you should say to make a point, you tell them what they want to hear.

Take it from a guy who worked 8 months submitting resumes and going to job interviews, to finally get a job I love.

If they couldn't take the answer you gave, and if you really didn't want the job anyway, maybe it's a good thing.

They actually offered me the job today. Not sure if I want it though. I have until tomorrow to decide. I read online that they have huge turnover rates and administration fires teachers (this is a charter school) to cover their butts. That explains why a school with only 300 kids is hiring 11 teachers mid year.

They actually offered me the job today. Not sure if I want it though. I have until tomorrow to decide. I read online that they have huge turnover rates and administration fires teachers (this is a charter school) to cover their butts. That explains why a school with only 300 kids is hiring 11 teachers mid year.

You probably could have flaked on the interview and still got the job.