• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2015 HOF Candidates

happybat4

Props on voting for Bonds (and Clemens). If Bonds doesn't make it, many years from now future generations will look back at the decision of people not to vote for him with total disbelief. I get your point on McGwire, but I see him as far more Hall of Fame worthy than Sheffield.

McGwire probably is more worthy than Sheffield and if I had an unlimited ballot I would have voted for both.

However, if I'm limited to 10 I feel a vote for McGwire is a waste. His numbers arent moving. He's not getting in.

Sheffield needs the support his first time on the ballot to get some discussion about him.

which year did his HOF worthy first half end?

Didn't think it was that hard to split a career in half but how about 1996?   Fact of the matter is he was probably HOF worthy by age 28 in 1993.   What he became and his poor attitude shouldn't take away from the fact that "skinny Barry" was a spectacular player who won 3 MVPs in the 4 years between 1990 and 1993 and the truth is his he should have won 4 straight as he led the NL in OPS+ in each of those years, his perfromance dwarfed that of Pendleton's when he was awarded the MVP over Bonds.  Bonds had 60 WAR under his belt by age 28 in 1993, the average LFer in the HOF has 65.1 -- that's how great a player he had been.

Bonds ruined his legacy, there is no way of knowing without a doubt when he started juicing but he had been a spectacular player well before there were any whispers surrounding him.

Thats why the hall of fame is a joke.

And whether he took steroids or not, Bonds was the greatest hitter of all time.

He was the Greatest hitter of all time because he took steroids. Not, he was the greatest hitter of all time, and he happen to take steroids. He was a very good hitter, probably a hall of famer, before steroids, but he wasn't one of the greatest before he took them.

He was the Greatest hitter of all time because he took steroids. Not, he was the greatest hitter of all time, and he happen to take steroids. He was a very good hitter, probably a hall of famer, before steroids, but he wasn't one of the greatest before he took them.

But how would you know what effect steroids had on him, if he did take them?  Which to my knowledge, he has never failed a drug test under MLBs drug testing policy.  He always had a great eye at the plate, and that only got better with each year of experience he got in the Majors.  He was jacking 30-40 home runs well into the latter part of his career.  Many players supposedly break down after they stop taking roids.  It happened to A-Rod, heck its probably happening to Pujols.  This whole steroid argument is completely over blown.  

I dont deny him taking roids, or that he was an a-hole.  But you cant have a hall of fame for baseball and keep the all time leader in hits and home runs out.  The hall of fame is basically just a high school election at this point.  Its a group of old dudes who vote for guys that warmed their hearts rather then what they actually did on the field.  

Sorry old timer I know you are old fashioned but you have to face the truth eventually. Bonds is better than your child hood crush Hank Aaron.

Non steroid Bonds is not better than Aaron. Aaron ended up with 7 less homers, and 300 more RBI. He also has about 900 more total bases. I don't even hate Barry Bonds, I do however like Aaron, and think he is one of the top three clean players of all time. Bonds is the best player in the history of the game, as a cheater. He would probably be top ten if he didn't cheat.

But how would you know what effect steroids had on him, if he did take them? Which to my knowledge, he has never failed a drug test under MLBs drug testing policy. He always had a great eye at the plate, and that only got better with each year of experience he got in the Majors. He was jacking 30-40 home runs well into the latter part of his career. Many players supposedly break down after they stop taking roids. It happened to A-Rod, heck its probably happening to Pujols. This whole steroid argument is completely over blown.

I dont deny him taking roids, or that he was an a-hole. But you cant have a hall of fame for baseball and keep the all time leader in hits and home runs out. The hall of fame is basically just a high school election at this point. Its a group of old dudes who vote for guys that warmed their hearts rather then what they actually did on the field.

Well Rose, who I absolutely loved as a kid, deserves to be out of the hall of fame, and it pains me to say it. Every player knows that they can not bet on the game, and yet he did. As for Bonds, he never stopped taking steroids as a player, so he didn't break down like Arod or perhaps Albert. But the "break down" theory holds no water at all. The reason is players, before steroids, would break down in their mid to late 30's because of years of being a ball player their bodies would start to fall apart at least for the most part. Bonds will get into the Hall, but like I said before, it is entirely his fault for not being in the Hall. He didn't have to take steroids, he took them to keep up with Mcguire and Sosa, which he was such a far superior all around player, he didn't need to do them. Yet he chose to, so in essence he is choosing to be out of the Hall of Fame.

As for Bonds, he never stopped taking steroids as a player, 

And you would know this how?  He was still playing when all that Balco stuff was going on.  Was Bonds some kind of houdini that could take these super potent steroids that supposedly made him the player that he is, and not get caught by any drug testing measure on earth?  Especially when he was under a huge spotlight.  

The reason Rose is not in the hall is the very problem I have with the hall of fame.  Its not about talent, or what the players did on the field, its about what they did off the field.  

There should be two hall of fames then in my opinion.  One for baseball talent, and one for guys who gave baseball writers hard ons.  

I agree with Fletch about Biggio.  I've got no problem with him being voted in, but he was more of a compiler than a truly great player.

No way. Biggio was absolutely a great player. 3000+ career hits, 400+ stolen bases, 65 career WAR. Arguably one of the top 10 second baseman of all time.

And you would know this how? He was still playing when all that Balco stuff was going on. Was Bonds some kind of houdini that could take these super potent steroids that supposedly made him the player that he is, and not get caught by any drug testing measure on earth? Especially when he was under a huge spotlight.

The reason Rose is not in the hall is the very problem I have with the hall of fame. Its not about talent, or what the players did on the field, its about what they did off the field.

There should be two hall of fames then in my opinion. One for baseball talent, and one for guys who gave baseball writers hard ons.

Ask any player if they know the ramifications of betting on baseball. Don't blame the Hall for Rose's stupidity. Name one marquee player that tested positive when Bonds was playing. Before you say that report that came out, that was done in a very limited fashion and was done on the East Coast.

Ask any player if they know the ramifications of betting on baseball. Don't blame the Hall for Rose's stupidity. Name one marquee player that tested positive when Bonds was playing. Before you say that report that came out, that was done in a very limited fashion and was done on the East Coast.

Im not sure how I can argue with you. I mean you already stated Bonds took roids all throughoit his career. You clearly have some kind of inside information the rest of the world doesnt.

But how would you know what effect steroids had on him, if he did take them?  Which to my knowledge, he has never failed a drug test under MLBs drug testing policy.  He always had a great eye at the plate, and that only got better with each year of experience he got in the Majors.  He was jacking 30-40 home runs well into the latter part of his career.  Many players supposedly break down after they stop taking roids.  It happened to A-Rod, heck its probably happening to Pujols.  This whole steroid argument is completely over blown.  

I dont deny him taking roids, or that he was an a-hole.  But you cant have a hall of fame for baseball and keep the all time leader in hits and home runs out.  The hall of fame is basically just a high school election at this point.  Its a group of old dudes who vote for guys that warmed their hearts rather then what they actually did on the field.  

you seem to be taking this harder than a reasonable adult should.

Im not sure how I can argue with you. I mean you already stated Bonds took roids all throughoit his career. You clearly have some kind of inside information the rest of the world doesnt.

Except I didn't say that. I said he never stopped taking steroids. I am pretty sure I even said he was a HOFer and a possible top ten all time player before steroids. So, you are basically just making stuff up because you don't like to be wrong in a discussion.

Except I didn't say that. I said he never stopped taking steroids. I am pretty sure I even said he was a HOFer and a possible top ten all time player before steroids. So, you are basically just making stuff up because you don't like to be wrong in a discussion.

Yeah you said he never stopped taking steroids even after the huge scandal and when he was being investigated by the federal government.

So you clearly must have injected him yourself or you have some inside information. Maybe youre right the reason he never broke down was because he was always roiding, probably had nothing to do with his talent.