• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

25 MAN ROSTER OUTLOOK

disarcina

Going to be interesting battles during ST -- I don't think our 2B situation is settled yet. And the rotation could go as is but a pick up for a decent arm (I don't think we need to break the bank for Sherzer or over-pay for Shields) but some rotation help could be helpful particularly since Tyler Skaggs will likely start season on DL and not see any MLB action until perhaps June.

If season started today:

PITCHING ROTATION

locks: Weaver, Richards, Shoemaker, CJ Wilson (4)

fifth spot competiton:  A. Heaney, H. Santiago, J. Alvarez (at least two of these may stay up in pen -- although if Heaney does not get rotation spot may make more sense to have him pitch every fifth day in SLC).

PEN:

locks: H, Street (CL), J. Smith, M. Morin (3)

pen depth competition in addition to rotation guys above: F. Salas (almost a lock but can pitch himself off roster in ST); C. Rasmus, C. Bedrosian

LINE UP  (locks)   (9)                                                                                                                                                                 

C-  Ianetta;1B/DH - Pujols; 2B-Rutledge(?);3B-Freese; SS-Aybar; LF/DH- Hamilton; CF-TROUT; RF-Calhoun;  DH-1B: Navarro 

DEPTH (locks) (4)

OF/DH - Matt Joyce

OF - Cowgill

MIF- Green

C - Drew Butera (?)      

That's 20 roster spots locked in although several of those 20 could play themselves off the roster in ST.

I assume Tyler Skaggs starts season on DL.

I assume we carry 10 perhaps 11 pitchers depending on April schedule

that leaves these position players scrambling for roster spots:

Cron 1B/DH --- lots of power, poor average; weak field -- could be traded for MIF help

Beckham MIF/3B (will he even be in camp?)

Gaviatella MIF (weak bat, good speed, decent field at 2B not SS).

Featherston MIF (going to need to really impress during ST to stick)

Something tells me that if we don't sign Beckham we will be making a deal for a 2B -- Zorbist.

Who am I missing?  Am sure there are a number of pen arms on the potential back end of the pen list.

I am hopeful that Alvarez, the guy we picked up from Detroit last year can impress during ST and stick -- perhaps as a long relief/ spot starter/ lefty guy.

I forget the name but the catcher they got for Conger will probably be the backup.

Skaggs will not be pitching this year.

Tropeano has the starting jib, it is his to lose. Rasmus will make the team as long relief most likely.

Edited by happybat4

Here's how I see it. This is adapted and updated from this post.

LOCKS

Probable

Maybe

Probably Not (Yet)

C: IANNETTA, Butera, Perez

1B: PUJOLS

2B: Rutledge, Green, Yarbrough

SS: AYBAR, Stamets

3B: FREESE

LF: HAMILTON

CF: TROUT

RF: CALHOUN

DH: JOYCE, Cron

Bench: Cowgill, Featherston, Giovatella, Navarro, Robertson, Krauss, O'Malley

Rotation: RICHARDS, WEAVER, SHOEMAKER, Wilson, Santiago, Heaney, Tropeano; Alvarez, Rucinski, Sanabia, Snodgress, Smith, Skaggs (DL)

Bullpen: STREET, SMITH, Rasmus, Salas, Morin, Pestano, Santiago, Ramos, Herrera, Bedrosian, McBryde, Reynolds

The difference between "lock" and "probable" is slim in some cases. I just think that a true lock is 99% chance on the roster, while with a "probable" there is some question.

A few other thoughts:

- Counting locks and probables, that's 25 players with four starters and eight relievers, so clear something's got to give.

- Richards is possible (likely) to start the year in extended spring training or the DL, so that would probably mean Heaney or Tropeano getting a few starts.

- Green should arguably be "possible" as he still has options while Featherston needs to be on the 25-man roster as he is a Rule V pick. Alternately the Angels could start Cron in AAA, with Green and Featherston on the major league roster. A lot depends, I think, on Scioscia getting a better look a Featherston in spring training.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Here's how I see it. This is adapted and updated from this post.

LOCKS

Probable

Maybe

Probably Not (Yet)

C: IANNETTA, Butera, Perez

1B: PUJOLS

2B: Rutledge, Green, Yarbrough

SS: AYBAR, Stamets

3B: FREESE

LF: HAMILTON

CF: TROUT

RF: CALHOUN

DH: JOYCE, Cron

Bench: Cowgill, Featherston, Giovatella, Navarro, Robertson, Krauss, O'Malley

Rotation: RICHARDS, WEAVER, SHOEMAKER, Wilson, Santiago, Heaney, Tropeano; Alvarez, Rucinski, Sanabia, Snodgress, Smith, Skaggs (DL)

Bullpen: STREET, SMITH, Salas, Morin, Pestano, Santiago, Ramos, Herrera, Bedrosian, McBryde, Reynolds

The difference between "lock" and "probable" is slim in some cases. I just think that a true lock is 99% chance on the roster, while with a "probable" there is some question.

A few other thoughts:

- Counting locks and probables, that's 24 players with the 25th being the 5th starter will likely either be Heaney, Tropeano, or Santiago, with Herrera or Bedrosian in the bullpen to start.

- Richards is possible (likely) to start the year in extended spring training or the DL, so that would probably mean Heaney or Tropeano getting a few starts.

- Green should arguably be "possible" as he still has options while Featherston needs to be on the 25-man roster as he is a Rule V pick. Alternately the Angels could start Cron in AAA, with Green and Featherston on the major league roster. A lot depends, I think, on Scioscia getting a better look a Featherston in spring training.

Where do you see Rasmus?

Where do you see Rasmus?

Whoops. I added him back in. I see him as very close to a lock, but certainly probable. I edited my post and as you can see, there are 4 starters and 8 relievers...clearly that won't work. But maybe with Richards possibly coming in late, Santiago starts and one of Heaney or Tropeano starts the year on the big club.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson or Santiago moved.

The whole infield thing with Rutledge, Green, Featherston and Giavotella is impossible to predict.

Agreed. It should be interesting to see how things pan out in ST. I suppose the only thing we know is that two of the four will be on the 25-man roster, and that one of those two is likely to be Rutledge. The other thing to keep in mind is that if Featherston doesn't make it he goes back to Colorado (or was it AZ?). I believe both Green and Giovatella have options.

Agree with all the assessments.

I like Navarro  better than Cron but that's because (and with Joyce added) we've got at least 3 DH types on the roster (Pujols, Hamilton and Joyce).....we really need some one for D who can hit a bit and that's Navarro.  To me Cron is almost strictly a DH, his glove at 1B is that weak........Cron can mash the ball but I'm concerned at the MLB level, the second time around the league (and he's been around the league at least twice or more times now) he turns into Dave Kingman for those of you who remember that ex-Halo (Giants, A's, Padres, etc.)

I think that Heaney either impresses in ST and earns a rotation role or winds up starting every fifth day at SLC -- and could easily get a mid-season call up if any rotation arm goes down.

Now as familiar with Tropeano but you folks here think he could stick -- so his ST starts are real important. Can't have enough rotation guys as we saw last year.......would be nice to be 6 to 7 deep including the top two starters at AAA.

Butera -- I think he makes it simply because he has some experience and seemed to have a back up role with the Dodgers. But that back up catcher spot is definitely one of the ST battles to watch and you know that Scioscia will be ALL IN in concentrating on that decision --- OOPS -- maybe we re-sign Mathis LOL!

At 2B - I agree with the comment that that position Zobrist -- and soon -- the announcement that Beckham has been signed may not be far away.

The pen depth battles are going to be real interesting in ST.....these guys better be throwing strikes.  Walks will get them sent to AA/ AAA,

Agreed. It should be interesting to see how things pan out in ST. I suppose the only thing we know is that two of the four will be on the 25-man roster, and that one of those two is likely to be Rutledge. The other thing to keep in mind is that if Featherston doesn't make it he goes back to Colorado (or was it AZ?). I believe both Green and Giovatella have options.

Featherston would go back to COL.

Green and Rutledge have options. Giavotella does not. Neither does Butera, by the way.