• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Inbox: How long will Hamilton be with Angels?

a long time -- his contract is like a cement block.

who's fault is that? the Front Office.

this was a terrible contract from Day One. Everyone here knew it and said so.

the only way to unload him is to trade him to a team where he would perform well in that team's ballpark (Texas comes to mind) and then the Halos would still have to eat a good portion of the remaining cost of his contract -- so you trade him to a team where he might partially revert to form because of the ballpark and you pay him to beat you?

Nah, he stays put -- even if he has the most expensive seat in the ballpark.

Get ready for this, because it's going to blow your mind. JOSH HAMILTON IS A GOOD BASEBALL PLAYER.

Overpaid? Check. A dumbass? Check. Not as good as he should be? Check and check.

Even when he struggled mightily in his first season, he still gave the Angels .250 with 30 doubles and 20 home runs.

Had he played a full year last year, he would've been on pace to be a 3-4 win

player, which is on par with what we normally see from Aybar and Kendrick.

What's done is done. The money has been spent. Hamilton isn't the MVP they thought they were getting, just like Kendrick wasn't the batting champ and Aybar isn't the stolen base champ. They're all still good players.

Get ready for this, because it's going to blow your mind. JOSH HAMILTON IS A GOOD BASEBALL PLAYER.

Overpaid? Check. A dumbass? Check. Not as good as he should be? Check and check.

Even when he struggled mightily in his first season, he still gave the Angels .250 with 30 doubles and 20 home runs.

What's done is done. The money has been spent. Hamilton isn't the MVP they thought they were getting, just like Kendrick wasn't the batting champ and Aybar isn't the stolen base champ. They're all still good players.

These are actually great points Scotty. If Hamilton can put up an OPS+ of 115-120, he will be a pretty productive player, even if he isn't meeting our expectations.

But I guess that begs the question: can he put up an OPS+ of 115-120?

What makes him a dumbass?

In 89 games last year he had a 1.1 fWAR, a 1.5 rWAR - so "3-4 win" is a bit exaggerated.

In the end, Hamilton is what he's actually produced: 3.1 fWAR or 3.0 rWAR over 240 games, which equates to 2.1 or 2.0 WAR per 162 games. That's pretty much the definition of AVERAGE, not "good."

The problem with last year is that he was great for that first week or so before getting injured. After coming back he hit .248/.310/.386 in 348 PA. Again, average.

In other words, in terms of what he's actually produced as an Angel over two seasons, Josh Hamilton = an average player.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I liked the signing at the time. Clearly I was wrong.

I think this was more of an ownership driven move than a FO move.

What you fail to understand is that a decision of this magnitude involves many key employees ... which include Dipoto ann Scioscia.

Arte of course has to approve of this large a contract. Many here were also Hung Ho over this signing.

As a big Angels fan the hate around here for Hamilton rubs me the wrong way. Let's rally around him and see what happens.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I was going to say the same thing. Why trade him when he is better than a replacement player. Trading doesn't save us money.

I find the trade speculation about Hamilton to make no sense. He is owed an insane amount of money the next three years, making him essentially untradeble. And if he does revert to his old form, why would the Angels be inclined to trade him? He is ours for the next three seasons.

I have seen all manner of Hamilton trade proposals, all of which involve the Angels either potentially paying him to beat them, or taking on an equally distasteful contract - which begs the question of what would be the point (apart from preventing Scioscia from playing him every night).

The only way out of this one is to take someone else's bad contract in exchange. Also, who becomes the regular LF? Seeing Cowgill every day doesn't thrill me so much.

Call me crazy, but theowing potential aside, id almost prefer cowgill. Better defense, better at bats. Hamilton obviously is a more dangerous hitter....but if were going in terms of 'as angels'.....

Call me crazy, but theowing potential aside, id almost prefer cowgill. Better defense, better at bats. Hamilton obviously is a more dangerous hitter....but if were going in terms of 'as angels'.....

Yeah... no.

Cowgill had a ridiculous and unsustainable first half then remembered he is Colin Cowgill and proceeded to have an ops of .452/.497/.538 to end the season. In the end he batted his career averages except for a bloated OBP that didn't exist in the last 3 months. He is not a solid replacement player, more suited for bench duties. Let's hope they don't have to resort to playing him more to play Hamilton less.