• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Stephen Drew

KevinJ14

he does well every other year and he is going to be looking to bounce back after hosed himself (with the help of boras)  by not signing earlier last year.  

he'd be the safest bet of any of our current options in my opinion.  He's a very good defender and I think his offense will be better if he has a normal start to the season next year.

If they went this route, I'd be ok with it, but if they don't, I think it would be fun to see the competition come spring.  Still have my money on Featherston opening some eyes.   

I can sort of see a scenario where having Beckham or Drew as a utility infielder on the team works.

For instance, say Featherston doesn't impress and is returned. Then say one of Green/Giavotella/Rutledge is injured in ST. All of the sudden that infield depth is thin as all hell.

If you sign Beckham or Drew, it at least gives you some sort of back-up veteran option, with a shot at winning a job with a good spring, which, if the others all flop, would be pretty crucial.

If there's any credibility to it, I think it's just Dipoto looking for a vet to be an emergency option or rebound player.

Beckham or Drew are not going to accept utility roles.. nor should they at this point, so get that right out of your heads.  If we sign either it will be to start at 2B to buy more time for the kids, something most here do not want to do.

I do think our depth at the place give us trade options, but if you think were trading Wilson with any of them were taking back someone elses contract or throwing in cash, again something i dont think we do.

Some of you are perhaps reading way too much into this one i think.

Beckham or Drew are not going to accept utility roles.. nor should they at this point, so get that right out of your heads. If we sign either it will be to start at 2B to buy more time for the kids, something most here do not want to do.

I do think our depth at the place give us trade options, but if you think were trading Wilson with any of them were taking back someone elses contract or throwing in cash, again something i dont think we do.

Awesome intro to this post. While we are getting into our heads that they aren't going to accept utility roles, I suggest they get the fact that it is January and neither have been signed to be starting 2nd baseman. Maybe Drew needs to get into his head how poorly he misjudged his options last year, then went out and hit under .200 for the season. Beckham should get into his head that he has steadily regressed since his rookie season. I like both guys but neither are big upgrades over what we have in house.

Awesome intro to this post. While we are getting into our heads that they aren't going to accept utility roles, I suggest they get the fact that it is January and neither have been signed to be starting 2nd baseman. Maybe Drew needs to get into his head how poorly he misjudged his options last year, then went out and hit under .200 for the season. Beckham should get into his head that he has steadily regressed since his rookie season. I like both guys but neither are big upgrades over what we have in house.

so... by this logic then should sherzer take a bullpen slot?

i hear you but neither of those guys is going to go util ... not yet

I'm not sure we totally know what we have.  

The thing that Drew brings to the table is that he's a LHed hitter.  

I didn't realize it, but Yarborough is a switch hitter with better splits Lhed.  Granted, he probably needs to see some time in AAA and he has options whereas Featherston can go to the minors if we want to keep him.  

so... by this logic then should sherzer take a bullpen slot?

i hear you but neither of those guys is going to go util ... not yet

that's a horrible analogy and if I have to explain why then this discussion is going nowhere.  

Beckham is already a utility player.  If he were going to get a starting everyday job somewhere it would have happened already.  There might be teams where he would get more at bats than others, but he's gonna play multiple positions

Drew could still be thought of as a starter, but his options are waning and his horrible 2014 may require him to be a little more flexible until he can prove he's an everyday player.  

The Rays signing Cabrera may have just further complicated their market as well considering that Zobrist is likely available.  

Front line free agents like Scherzer will find a home without a discount.  By the mid to end of January, most teams want to know how to prepare for spring and they want their team ready to go.  

If these two don't sign in the next couple weeks, they may be forced to take what they can get.  

I'm not sure we totally know what we have.  

The thing that Drew brings to the table is that he's a LHed hitter.  

I didn't realize it, but Yarborough is a switch hitter with better splits Lhed.  Granted, he probably needs to see some time in AAA and he has options whereas Featherston can go to the minors if we want to keep him.  

featherston can't go to the minors. he's a rule 5 pick. he's either on the MLB roster, returned to the rockies, or we "trade" for him in some capacity rather than return him. assuming the rockies wouldn't want him back, which is highly unlikely.

Beckham or Drew are not going to accept utility roles.. nor should they at this point, so get that right out of your heads.  If we sign either it will be to start at 2B to buy more time for the kids, something most here do not want to do.

drew is definitely not going to accept a util role, but i disagree with beckham. he's very close to that being his role in mlb. the angels like him, and have allowed him to explore his opportunities elsewhere, which in baseball speak means letting him see if he can find a starting gig somewhere. if not, then he's significantly more likely to return to the angels. i believe there is zero interest between the angels and drew/boras from either front.

featherston can't go to the minors. he's a rule 5 pick. he's either on the MLB roster, returned to the rockies, or we "trade" for him in some capacity rather than return him. assuming the rockies wouldn't want him back, which is highly unlikely.

yeah.  that was a typo.  that's why I think Featherston is gonna stick one way or another.  In particular if he's capable defensively which, by all accounts, he is the most capable defender of all the options.  

God help us we don't need another infielder. There's the 2B gig and utility infielder role to fill and there's Rutledge, Green, Giovotella, Fearherston and Yarbrough to fill it. 5 guys, 2 available spots.

To further complicate things, Featherston and Giovotella can't be optioned, so they're either on the team or they're gone.

Adding Beckham to the mix really doesn't make anything better. He isn't any better defensively than Featherston and he won't hits much as anyone really.

God help us we don't need another infielder. There's the 2B gig and utility infielder role to fill and there's Rutledge, Green, Giovotella, Fearherston and Yarbrough to fill it. 5 guys, 2 available spots.

To further complicate things, Featherston and Giovotella can't be optioned, so they're either on the team or they're gone.

Adding Beckham to the mix really doesn't make anything better. He isn't any better defensively than Featherston and he won't hits much as anyone really.

dipoto and the FO disagree. if he can't find a starting gig, there's a real chance he comes back. dipoto has been very clear about that fact.

Don't forget Beckham played a fair amount of 3b last year. Dipoto may be thinking two years or one with an option so the Angels are not quite as desperate when Freese goes FA after this year or he's out for part of the year this year. I think Dipoto had to set up the depth at 2b in case Beckham does't come back.

As far as Drew goes, too pricey and likely will end up on a one-year deal so wouldn't work in the sceario above.

Hypothetical: Say David Freese is traded and it is decided Giovotella, Featherston, Rutledge or Green will play 3B in his place. We then have a hypothetical need at 2B again unless you take one of the remainder of that group and place them there. Then there is also a need to have depth at both positions, especially 3B.

There is some upside to retaining Freese in so much as he doesn't look like a strong option to give a Qualifying Offer to at the end of the season so there is less trade value to be had today. If the Angels are out of contention for any reason at the break you can trade him. If he does put in a good performance you can either give him the QO or let him go into FA.

Freese is a conundrum that will present a difficult decision to Dipoto. The Front Office knows more about David's struggles in the last two years than I do and perhaps they see a player turning it around that they want to keep. Otherwise if they have concerns about his ability to play I could easily see them trading him and putting Giovotella, Featherston or Green in at 3B.