• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Stephen Drew

KevinJ14

From MLBTR:

The Blue Jays, Athletics, Cubs, White Sox and Angels are interested in Stephen Drew to play second base but don’t want to pay his $9MM-$10MM asking price, Sherman writes. There’s concern that Drew’s poor 2014 season marks the beginning of a serious decline. “Fine, you want to say June and July [last year] were spring training for him, well, how about August or September? There was never a time in which he looked like a major league hitter,” says one executive. The Yankees could have interest in him, but want to commit to Didi Gregorius at shortstop and could have concern Drew would provide an easy distraction from those plans, even if he’s signed as a second baseman. Earlier this month, we guessed Drew would get a one-year, $7MM deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/shermans-latest-drew-rios-myers.html

Beckham? Grant Green?  Seems to be better options.

Drew sat out part of that one year after the contract issue with (was it the BoSox?) he played well for them that prior season, sat out half a season, came back and played some place but was never the same players.

I say we pass. Better options on the roster/ in the organization now.

I really don't see the point.  I mean, yeah, he's a good defensive 2B with decent power, but that's going to cost 8 million.  Meanwhile, at the league minimum we have Grant Green, Rudledge and Featherston.

I know the front office is split on a lot of this.  Klentak is gung-ho for Green, thinks his defense will be good enough and that his bat will be one of the better ones in the AL at his position.  Servais likes him and his versatility as well.  Dipoto, not so much.  He's much more on board with the guys he's familiar with, that he knows can hit and play ball.  Granted Featherston hasn't had a chance yet and Rutledge's numbers haven't translated. 

I think the only two they all agree on is Featherston as a UT and Yarbrough as a 2B in the future.  My money is on Green.  There's just too much bat there to ignore.  He's very athletic and I think he'll eventually be a pretty decent defensive 2B.  

personally, i believe this to be mere speculation because we traded kendrick. i've heard this rumor earlier this year, and base it on pure position need speculation by the media. 

if i had to lay my money on a line. my money goes on the angels have relatively no interest at all. pure media conjecture.

I really do NOT see the point in this. We can get similar, if not better, production from the guys we have than from Drew for a LOT less money. If we aren't going to somehow spend the money on Scherzer (and trading Wilson to stay under the luxury tax), we'd be far better off holding onto the money and using it in the season and/or near the trade deadline to shore up any needs we have throughout the season. 

Pass on Drew.

Pass on Boras.

I really do NOT see the point in this. We can get similar, if not better, production from the guys we have than from Drew for a LOT less money. If we aren't going to somehow spend the money on Scherzer (and trading Wilson to stay under the luxury tax), we'd be far better off holding onto the money and using it in the season and/or near the trade deadline to shore up any needs we have throughout the season. 

Pass on Drew.

Pass on Boras.

This

i think this is fish wrap speculation... there is no way we would pay the 9-10mil for him when we can get almost the same guy in Beckham for half that and already have a ton of youth at the position.
i would like to see us bring back beckham to buy the kids time and be done with it