• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

anyone have a fit bit or something similar?

Brandon

I'm becoming increasingly interested in some of these health wrist managers. I've talked to two people that use them, but got differing opinions on brands.

Anyone use one? Pros/cons? Brands?

I'm going to start investigating, but thought I'd try here to go along with Google, etc.

I actually just got a samsung gear fit today.  just waiting for it to charge up.  My initial thoughts are, it's very light.  Lighter than my normal watch I wear.  But the main thing I bought it for is the pedometer and heart rate monitor.  Once I get it charged and fired up, will let you know if it's worth it.

Wife has a fitbit flex.  It has a pretty interactive online dashboard, you have the ability to log events (for her, bootcamp, elliptical, etc) other than just simply step counting.  It does not have any heart rate monitoring, and display is limited to 4 small lights.

I think the purpose is more to keep you interested in your progress, which probably leads to more activity.  She gets mad if she does not reach her step goals, so the awareness seems to be the key.  For what it's worth, she enjoys using it.

So the prelim on the Fit.  It's small and light.  Which is good because I have scrawny arms Rob Lowe.  

The apps are very limited on what you can put on there.  Most of the apps that I'm seeing are geared towards fitness.  So it'll be up to you to see if there is one that will fit your needs.  I just need it to count my steps so it works fine.  

The screen is very sensitive, and it's easy to read.  

For the Galaxy S5, it wants to use the stock messaging app.  You can set your galaxy s5 to send you only notifications on apps you want, like SMS pro, but it's not as good as a message.  So that is kind of limiting.

What I don't see yet is a way to put it to sleep easily, like if I were at the movies.  

For what I paid for it, not bad.  $80 on ebay.  

I have a jawbone up24.

From my research it was the best of the lot, plus I like that it has a vibrating alarm clock (so I can get up without waking up cuter half).

It's alright. Nothing amazing. Mostly just interesting to geek out on the stats and stuff.

The best one for legit calorie burn tracking are the ones made by exerspy. Their interface is weak, and the fact that it's an arm band can get annoying, but the tech is the best IMO.

I have a Fitbit. Have it programmed for a goal of 10k steps/day. You can also program for caloric intake, water, minutes of heavy exercise. I also use it to monitor my sleep. It's pretty handy for that, and has an alarm that gently wakes you up by buzzing the bit.

I just got a fitbit in my stocking but I have yet to set it up because I am still using the walking mate on my smart phone.  My goal has been 10,000 steps minimum a day but I have been doing 15,000 plus since June.  I have slowed down because the weather has changed.  I am going to give the fitbit a workout on Saturday when it warms up and I can hike.  

My wife had a Fitbit Force and also a Samsung Gear Fit.

My take is both are incredibly inaccurate.  The pedometer is off by probably at least 20% on the high side and the HBM on the Fit gives a range of about 60 BPM to 150BPM for resting heart rate when taken one after the other.

At this point they are just novelties.

My wife had a Fitbit Force and also a Samsung Gear Fit.

My take is both are incredibly inaccurate.  The pedometer is off by probably at least 20% on the high side and the HBM on the Fit gives a range of about 60 BPM to 150BPM for resting heart rate when taken one after the other.

At this point they are just novelties.

They actually quit selling the Force and have a recall out on it.

You guys with heart rate monitors on your devices... Try pushing yourself really suddenly and see how quickly the HR increase registers on your device. 

This is a common problem with older HR monitors, even high-end ones that come with a chest strap.  There's often a delay of 2-3 seconds where the information provided does not match the way you feel.  I've noticed this while running.  You max out and your body says slow down -- your heart is beating too fast -- but the device is slow to figure it out.  If I configure a HR alarm, it sounds off after I've already slowed down. 

Does this phenomenon still exist with modern devices? 

Mine was pretty accurate. I didn't do any fancy test, but I mainly got it to do Spartacus and when I felt I was at the edge it would beep or it felt in tune with my pace.

I'd have to find it. I'd recommend it, but after a couple months I got some recall error and they have weird east coast hours that I always miss to call.