• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mattress shopping

Spencer

Got a nice Serta mattress at Sam's Club for a good price. Check with them or Costco. Just an idea. The one we bought had a test mattress to lay on and try out.

Yup, bought mine at Costco.  I would at least check these places, if you are a member, as a baseline of what to expect to pay, and to have some negotiating ammo if you decide to go somewhere else.

And the one drawback to Costco is you have to ship it yourself.

Edited by gotbeer

Bought our mattress at Costco 6 years ago. Returned it a year ago. Told the person at the counter its starting to sag in the middle (it was, a bit). She looked it up, told us how much money we'd get back, gave us a gift card. We got a brand new one there for just about the same price (paid maybe $50 extra).  Couldn't believe I could return a mattress. She didn't even look at it or see if I was telling the truth.  I love their return policy.

But like others have said, don't go cheap, you'll regret it. 

If you think about it, there's no other product besides underwear that you would use as much as a mattress. You sleep, make love, eat breakfast, read books on it, let's say 7-10 hours a day. Get a good one.

Bought our mattress at Costco 6 years ago. Returned it a year ago. Told the person at the counter its starting to sag in the middle (it was, a bit). She looked it up, told us how much money we'd get back, gave us a gift card. We got a brand new one there for just about the same price (paid maybe $50 extra). Couldn't believe I could return a mattress. She didn't even look at it or see if I was telling the truth. I love their return policy.

But like others have said, don't go cheap, you'll regret it.

If you think about it, there's no other product besides underwear that you would use as much as a mattress. You sleep, make love, eat breakfast, read books on it, let's say 7-10 hours a day. Get a good one.

amateur.. i get at least 15 hours a day out of mattress!

Sigh... i live a sad life

I bought a Tuft & Needle queen size mattress a few months ago.  $500 including shipping, no sales tax.  Their company was formed after the owners got ripped off paying huge money for mattresses that were no good.  Read more about that here:  https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Their mattresses are manufactured locally in Cerritos.  It's poly-foam which is NOT the same as memory foam.  You don't sink into this mattress like you would with memory foam -- it's a firm mattress that isn't squishy at all. 

I don't regret buying it, but if you sleep on your side a lot, the firmness might bother your hips and shoulders a little.  Otherwise very nice. 

My girlfriend bought at Costco a few years back and it is pretty good.  I have a bad back and wanted something that would be firm enough yet not a plywood feel.  I shopped around A LOT.  I eventually found this website and it got LOTS EASIER to find quality. 

http://themattressunderground.com/

There's a wealth of information on the site.  I literally spent about a month investigating.  I found out that what people assume are quality mattresses at places like Sealy, Serta and the like are really made nothing like the quality that forged their reputations.  Lots of small mattress makers around that will outperform.  Do you pay?  Yep. Quality comes at a premium.   However, if you have the scratch, get a custom made mattress.  I did not have the money so I went to Amazon and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419895925&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamfoam+euro+king

I've had it for a year, and it's easily the best mattress I've ever owned.  My back used to hurt when I got up in the morning.  Hasn't hurt like that in a year! 

Hope this helps.  Take your time and do the research.  Good Luck!

we bought a new bed several years ago. got the sleep number bed. tried it out in the store and it felt nice, and the salesman said my size wouldn't be an issue (i'm an extra large guy). bought and took it home, and regretted it from the first night. i'm not sure i ever got a decent night's sleep on it. my wife was just okay with it, but i think their return policy at the time really stunk so we were stuck with it. we gave up a waterbed for it, and that bed was fantastic but old. it had the self-contained water tubes, and since i slept a lot on my side, it was terrific. i'd get one again. 

do your research, and make sure you ask about return policies.

we bought a new bed several years ago. got the sleep number bed. tried it out in the store and it felt nice, and the salesman said my size wouldn't be an issue (i'm an extra large guy). bought and took it home, and regretted it from the first night. i'm not sure i ever got a decent night's sleep on it. my wife was just okay with it, but i think their return policy at the time really stunk so we were stuck with it.

On one trip to SoCal we chose a hotel that had Sleep Number mattresses because we wanted to try one out. Not impressed whatsoever. I moved the numbers all over the place and felt no real difference.

Yup, bought mine at Costco. I would at least check these places, if you are a member, as a baseline of what to expect to pay, and to have some negotiating ammo if you decide to go somewhere else.

And the one drawback to Costco is you have to ship it yourself.

This is good advice. Several years ago I went mattress shopping and was shocked at the disparity in prices between Costco and the mattress stores. I found a mattress I liked at Costco. It cost $700. I then went to the mattress store and asked if they had a comparable mattress. The guy immediately responded "yes, right over there, that mattress is identical." My next question was "then why should I buy it from you for $1,300 when Costco sells it for $700." A quick break to speak to his manager, and the price of the mattress was quickly dropped to $650.

I then went to the mattress store down the street, which promised to beat any competitor's price by 5%. The same mattress was reduced to about $600. Of course, since the first mattress place also claimed to beat it's competitors prices by 5%, I made a courtesy call to see if they could do even better. They did.

I walked out with a very good queen size Simmons mattress (far more comfortable than a Serta, IMO, with less movement), frame and box spring, mattress cover, delivery, and pickup of old mattress for $560. Including tax.

Bottom line: mattress stores are full of shit. They inflate the prices substantially to make you think you are getting a great deal when they knock off $200. Don't fall for it. Either buy from a reputable chain like Costco or Macey's, or negotiate like a champ.

Edited by wopphil