• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ben Zobrist

santini1

to be completely honest with you, im not really aware of Newcomb and his potential and I dont mwan I would necessarily make this trade, just a hypothetical question of what it would take. Its like saying it would take calhoun and prospects for hammels but I would give that up.

His potential is up in the air as he still needs time to develop—but, I hate the idea of trading young cost controlled SPs like Chatwood, Skaggs, etc...

It's true that Bichette was aided by Coors Canaveral pre-humidor baseballs.

Mainly used the trade analogy from a trading a young player for an aging player viewpoint.

Bichette did have good promise, despite two very partial mediocre years here to start his career.

The real worry is being on the wrong end of:

Brock for Broglio

Bagwell for Andersen

Smoltz for Alexander

Figgins for Bartee

Ryan (and Stanton) for Fregosi (Mr. Angel but also on the decline)

And another Cardinal ripoff, Ray Sadecki for Orlando Cepeda.

To be fair to the Tigers, when the Braves made the trade for John Smoltz he was a AA pitcher with little to set him apart from anyone else. The Braves' staff saw something in him that no one else did. And Alexander helped Detroit to win the 1984 World Series, so it wasn't a total loss for them.

Hoping that Smoltz gets into the Hall this year to join Maddux and Glavine.

And another Cardinal ripoff, Ray Sadecki for Orlando Cepeda.

To be fair to the Tigers, when the Braves made the trade for John Smoltz he was a AA pitcher with little to set him apart from anyone else. The Braves' staff saw something in him that no one else did. And Alexander helped Detroit to win the 1984 World Series, so it wasn't a total loss for them.

Hoping that Smoltz gets into the Hall this year to join Maddux and Glavine.

The Alexander-Smoltz trade was in '87.  The Tigers lost to the Twins in the ALCS that year.  But, yeah, Alexander went 9-0 w/ a 1.53 ERA for the Tigers who probably wouldn't have got that far without him.   

It's true that Bichette was aided by Coors Canaveral pre-humidor baseballs.

Mainly used the trade analogy from a trading a young player for an aging player viewpoint.

Bichette did have good promise, despite two very partial mediocre years here to start his career.

The real worry is being on the wrong end of:

Brock for Broglio

Bagwell for Andersen

Smoltz for Alexander

Figgins for Bartee

Ryan (and Stanton) for Fregosi (Mr. Angel but also on the decline)

Being on the wrong end of those trades sucks but those trades are spanning 5 decades. Aside from which Bartee wasn't the type of player Zobrist is. It also sucks holding onto Sean Rodriguez, Brandon Wood etc. when we could have had Miguel Cabrera.

Your making it sound like the trade was for Wood and Rodriguez straight up. There were five other guys involved in that potential trade.

Being on the wrong end of those trades sucks but those trades are spanning 5 decades. Aside from which Bartee wasn't the type of player Zobrist is. It also sucks holding onto Sean Rodriguez, Brandon Wood etc. when we could have had Miguel Cabrera.

Your making it sound like the trade was for Wood and Rodriguez straight up. There were five other guys involved in that potential trade.

I don't even remember exactly who was in the trade but I remember it was like 5 for 1. I'd still wager Cabrera has been more productive than all those guys combined.

Kendrick and Santana were part of that trade. Mathis, Adenhart, and Wood were the others. I can see why the Angela balked. Santana was considered a #1 talent (yes I know he was in consistent) and Adenhart was considered a front line starter. red a

I don't even remember exactly who was in the trade but I remember it was like 5 for 1. I'd still wager Cabrera has been more productive than all those guys combined.

The failed MCab trade looks bad in hindsight, but at the time i understood. Cant forget it was also his walk year and i think we werent allowed to negotiate with him pre trade.

And like storm said, at the time, forgetting howie and santana for a sec, mathis and wood were top ranked prospects.

Also, unless it was all a rumor, we did pull the trigger and the marlins pulled back on the deal.

The failed MCab trade looks bad in hindsight, but at the time i understood. Cant forget it was also his walk year and i think we werent allowed to negotiate with him pre trade.

And like storm said, at the time, forgetting howie and santana for a sec, mathis and wood were top ranked prospects.

Also, unless it was all a rumor, we did pull the trigger and the marlins pulled back on the deal.

the crazy thing is what they decided to go with instead

For Willis and Cabrera they got:

Andrew Miller

Cameron Maybin

Eulogio De La Cruz

Burke Badenhop

Mike Rabelo

Dallas Trahern

yeesh!

I think if they were really interested in Zobrist they could have traded Jepsen for him instead of Joyce. Maybe they have to add a little something but they could have gotten it done.

I agree. I doubt the Rays would have traded Zobrist for Jepsen+; but if the Angels wanted Zobrist then they would have found a way to get him in that Joyce-Jepsen trade.

I think some of you are making big assumptions on that proposed Cabrera trade. I know those names were all discussed in the media, but that doesn't mean the Marlins demanded all of those guys. Looking at what they actually ended up getting from Detroit makes me think there is no way they actually demanded 4 or 5 of Kendrick, Wood, Santana, Adenhart, and Mathis.