• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Anaheim postpones adding members to stadium-lease team

AngelsWin.com

:) The voters have spoken and now the remaining Arte supporters (politicians) are now backpedaling since anti-landgiver Tom Tait and his running mate easily won their elections. I still think that they will get a deal done but not the deal that Arte wanted.

They may take the easy way out and allow the voters to decide in a special election (Measure) what to do with the land.

Edited by CALZONE

I honestly don't care which direction any of this goes.  I just want the Angels to have a home that they can be proud of. Whether that means a state of the art renovation or entirely new stadium, or just giving the Big A a face lift and something to build off of and create history with. 

Just something.  We're the last of the cookie-cutter stadiums and reside in a place where there are so  many themes to build off of. 

The last renovation, for all intents and purposes,was mostly cosmetic. The stadium now really needs a ground up renovation to repair plumbing,electrical, cracking and falling off concrete,etc. These type reno's can sometimes be as or more expensive as starting new construction. Another facelift would probably be a waste of money, as it could compound the problems the stadium currently has, without addressing those problems. Should be real interesting how it all unfolds.

The last renovation, for all intents and purposes,was mostly cosmetic. The stadium now really needs a ground up renovation to repair plumbing,electrical, cracking and falling off concrete,etc. These type reno's can sometimes be as or more expensive as starting new construction. Another facelift would probably be a waste of money, as it could compound the problems the stadium currently has, without addressing those problems. Should be real interesting how it all unfolds.

Beyond a certain point renovation isn't practical.

A new stadium on site is clearly the best option, I believe. Sticking in some new seats and nicer toilets isn't going to change the fact the stadium is massively out of date. I think the plan should be to be in a new stadium by 2025, but with the issues we've had with the City who knows if that will happen.

I don't follow OC politics anymore, so when some posters here claimed emphatically that Tait was on his way out, I took it at face value. Imagine my surprise when I learned that not only did he win handily, but gained an ally on the council.

If the stadium is cookie cutter, it's because it's right in the middle of a cookie cutter suburban expanse. What makes a place like Safeco better (besides the garlic fried and endless urinals) is that it's in beautiful Seattle. Otherwise, with your ass in the seat, it's the same as everywhere.

I am opposed to tax breaks and deals that primarily benefit billionaire team owners and leagues that are raking in record profits and, by law, have zero competition. That said, I hope Angels fans have a nice place to watch games for years to come. I think that could probably get accomplished with a serious remodel or on the same site, but I don't buy that the current situation is of great detriment to Arte, the team, or the fans.

Edited by Jobu

Having been to a ton of other stadiums, i agree ours is pretty mediocre. It would be great if it was a historic park like fenway, but its not (except to us die hards).

That said, if the money isnt there, i have no problem with the stadium. I go for the game, not the side show. If i only had one change to make it would be to deverlop the area around it. That, IMO, is what seperates. Angel stadium is 'go to the game, then drive somewhere else after to get a drink, a bite, etc'. It would be nice to have a few more restaraunts around for pre and after game.

I'd love them to create the atmosphere San Diego has. Ride the trolley straight in, huge amounts of shopping, bars and restaurants right there, tons of clean, family activities just at the entrance, amazing and unique ball park food and talented performers in the concourse. Oh yeah, and the playing field is second to none.

I really feel like the Angels have the environment up make this into a destination. Hate on Disney all you want but it's a huge international draw and part of what makes Anaheim unique. Then just add some other key California/Orange County themes, maybe add a small quirk in the OF like a very tall Big A in the corner and suddenly this place is awesome.

I'd prefer to see the Angels stay put mostly because of the memories, easy freeway access and the chance the really make the site sacred ground among fans. But if they need to go to a different location just up the road then fine. But this team, owner and fans deserve better.

I'd prefer to see the Angels stay put mostly because of the memories, easy freeway access and the chance the really make the site sacred ground among fans. But if they need to go to a different location just up the road then fine. But this team, owner and fans deserve better.

If the proposed Tustin location is where I think it is, access would be a major issue. I gather that they are talking about where the old blimp hangars are.

If the proposed Tustin location is where I think it is, access would be a major issue. I gather that they are talking about where the old blimp hangars are.

They're not moving anywhere. Arte knows he has the best deal in town at the Big A and no other city has a welcome sign with freeway access.

The Anaheim City Council won't be doing that land deal or they will face a recall.

Disneyland shut its gates on Christmas because they reached capacity. They need more space to expand the park. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people at the city level that want the Angels to move to Tustin.

Disney could buy the land, turn it into parking and then expand the parks in the current Disneyland parking.They could also build more hotels. There would be a lot of tax revenue coming into the city if this happened.

The city may prefer this option compared to the deal Arte is proposing.

Edited by Sully151

Disneyland shut its gates on Christmas because they reached capacity. They need more space to expand the park. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people at the city level that want the Angels to move to Tustin.

Disney could buy the land, turn it into parking and then expand the parks in the current Disneyland parking.They could also build more hotels. There would be a lot of tax revenue coming into the city if this happened.

Disney is already buying surrounding properties. A third Disney park is already in the plans.

Tait is Disney's stooge. He will obey them.

No he's just a fiscal conservative. He won't give that land to Disney either. Moving forward I hope that Arte keeps his promise to fix the stadium. I don't believe that Arte was ever serious about moving. I still think that he might end up selling the team to avoid all of this back and forth politics.

The Mouse Mafia is definitely playing a role in all of this...