• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels lineup & rotation 2020

Angelsjunky

What makes you say that Trout is going to take over the 3rd spot next year? And even if he did, (and he absolutely will not), why would a 40 year old Pujols re-take the 3rd spot from a 28 year old Trout in 5 years?

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/103744664/mike-scioscia-considering-mike-trout-in-no-3-slot-in-angels-lineup

the only way I could see Albert moving on early is if the Angels somehow had info on Albert being older than his stated age and some sort of verbal agreement that they wouldn't make that info public to tarnish his reputation.  But I doubt this is true and I think he'll play out the entire deal.  

Albert is 2 years older than he says he is, and oddly enough, while I don't believe him about his age, I do think believe him that he'll stop playing when he loses all effectiveness.

The man is quite concerned with how he is viewed in the larger spectrum of things. He won't want to be remembered for his last 3 years of nothing, he wants a lasting legacy.

He's also extremely prideful. He still has 2-3 more years of being a reasonable 1B/DH. But I think that 4th year he'll have nothing left. Eventually he'll be relegated to the bench by the end of that season. But he's not interested in being a backup. He'll call it quits to save face.

So yeah, I think he'll retire with 2-3 years remaining in his deal.

Albert is 2 years older than he says he is, and oddly enough, while I don't believe him about his age, I do think believe him that he'll stop playing when he loses all effectiveness.

The man is quite concerned with how he is viewed in the larger spectrum of things. He won't want to be remembered for his last 3 years of nothing, he wants a lasting legacy.

He's also extremely prideful. He still has 2-3 more years of being a reasonable 1B/DH. But I think that 4th year he'll have nothing left. Eventually he'll be relegated to the bench by the end of that season. But he's not interested in being a backup. He'll call it quits to save face.

So yeah, I think he'll retire with 2-3 years remaining in his deal.

I actually agree with almost all of this (though I have no clue about his age). If he becomes totally ineffective and gets relegated to batting seventh or not batting at all, I can see him walking away. It wouldn't be unusual at all for someone in his position to do so. People like to say "no way he will walk away from - million," but how would him doing so be any different than so many other people who elect to forego more earnings in order to retire early? And I can see someone as proud as Albert preferring to leave money on the table than playing and embarrassing himself.

His situation isn't much different than an athlete who elects to retire prematurely even though not under contract. Mike Mussina and Chipper Jones are two such guys who could have signed lucrative deals, but instead chose to walk away. The fact that Albert has already signed his deal doesn't really change the analysis.

I am not saying I believe this will happen, just that I could see it happening and don't believe it is a crazy proposition.

as long as Trout is on this team they have a chance to win and will construct the roster as such.  They have some quality arms in the system that should keep the rotation going for at least the next 3-5 years and once Josh is off the books following 2017, payroll will be very manageable.  I actually think it will have as much to do with whether the team is winning than how Albert is playing, and with Trout around, I think this team will have a chance.  At most, he might forego one year of that deal, but if he provides similar production to what he did in 2014 for the next 4 years, I think he'll stick around at least two more years after that.  

If Albert were inclined to accept that he's not the player he once was, then I believe he would actually be a much better player.  The way most HOF players seem to evolve is to get smarter and gain awareness and acceptance of what they can and can't do.  Albert's biggest problem as a halo has been his unwillingness to do that.  He wants to make up what he can't do anymore and it has led him to offer at pitches he never did before and has no business offering at.  He makes a ton of weak contact as a result.  I am hopeful that at some point soon he stops trying to be who he was.  

With that, some have said that pride will make him quit, but I think it will be pride that keeps him going.  Like that boxer who can't hang up the gloves.  

I believe that pride is what keeps him from admitting his actual age, it's pride that caused him to take someone to court over accusations of steroid use. I mean if we're all being honest, I'd say it's likely he did, which doesn't take away from his numbers because everyone was. I think a lot still are, just more undetectable (Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, David Ortiz).

It's pride that keeps him from adjusting to who he is now, pride that will eventually keep playing a year or two longer than he should, but it's also what will lead him to retirement instead of a demotion to the bench.

If your saying that there are untectable PED's ... then I have to believe the majority of players are using them.

Why single out a few players?

Very true.

I think peds are nowhwre near what they were back in the days in terms of how common they are, but to think theyre gone completely is faulty. Theyre still out there, guys just have to be a lot more careful now. And im sure a lot figure its not worth the risk.