• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Troy Tulowitzki at 3B?

Would getting TT guarantee the Angels going to the WS?  I don't think he does.  Another year of a declining Pujols and Hamilton with the hopes that Rutledge and Green can equal Kendrick.  If TT can stay healthy and hit like he can, he will be a major upgrade for sure but he doesn't make up for the kind of numbers Pujols and Hamilton will put up.  The cost of TT in players and salary is not worth the gamble.  The Angels have already gambled with Pujols and Hamilton and have lost.

I am in the acquire Zobrist camp of course it depends on the cost. But if I could get the guy without giving up Newcombe or Heaney, then I would probably do it. He would be a great #2 hitter with good on base skills and add another left handed bat to our line up. I would love for him to play third for us, but it doesn't look like he does that very often. I don't get the notion that he is old and we shouldn't sign older guys. The issue isn't signing old guys, it is how many years and for how much money. If they could sign him to a three year extension I would be ok with that. Now if we had a sure fire guy that was ready or near ready in the minors then I would be more hesitant, but really we don't. I have no idea what the Rays would want for him, but if I could get him for a package that started with Cron or Yarborough, then I would do it.

well, last year the Halos invited a glut of MIF non-roster guys to camp -- including John McDonald (a guy I thought would NOT make the team) well, at the end of camp, McDonald was on the 25 man roster and played an important role in the clubhouse and provided some good late inning defense at MIF and 3B.

so we'll see.

of this group so far, I see Rutledge making the 25 man roster and Giavotella being the 26th or 27th guy as a 4-A player at SLC.

Of course, this comes from the same guy who wondered why the Halos invited a 38-9 year old John McDonald to camp last year.

Speaking of McDonald, I assume he's retired........sure would like to see him get a coaching spot in the Halos organization somewhere.

Because he isn't terrible like you suggest. He would be a good #2 hitter (.354obp) and I am assuming his numbers would go up batting in front of Trout. He had a great WAR last year, and as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the only 2nd baseman with a higher WAR over the last four years is Cano. If you don't like the player that's one thing, but the stats say he is a very good player. Over the last 6 years he has averaged a 6.2 WAR. I would say that is probably the reason you give up young valuable players for him. Not to mention the team could use some quality left handed bats to even it out a bit.

Because he isn't terrible like you suggest. He would be a good #2 hitter (.354obp) and I am assuming his numbers would go up batting in front of Trout. He had a great WAR last year, and as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the only 2nd baseman with a higher WAR over the last four years is Cano. If you don't like the player that's one thing, but the stats say he is a very good player. Over the last 6 years he has averaged a 6.2 WAR. I would say that is probably the reason you give up young valuable players for him. Not to mention the team could use some quality left handed bats to even it out a bit.

Yeah you mentioned left handed bat, but he was terrible against right handed pitching last year.  Im not saying he isnt a good player.  But if it came down to giving up multiple young starting pitchers, id say that would be a terrible deal.  We have younger options that we can explore at 2B.  Zobrist will be 34 in May.  

Plus, what about that Roberto guy from Cuba.  He could be starting 2B before midseason.  Maybe puts up similar numbers to Puig?  Wishful thinking.

Yeah you mentioned left handed bat, but he was terrible against right handed pitching last year. Im not saying he isnt a good player. But if it came down to giving up multiple young starting pitchers, id say that would be a terrible deal. We have younger options that we can explore at 2B. Zobrist will be 34 in May.

Plus, what about that Roberto guy from Cuba. He could be starting 2B before midseason. Maybe puts up similar numbers to Puig? Wishful thinking.

Yea, well you saw where I said I wouldn't give up Heaney or Newcombe for him, so we are probably in the same boat. I would probably give up Nate Smith for him, but I would really like to get Zobrist locked up for a couple more years.

I think we mostly all agree that based on the Hamiljols Principle we should avoid over 30 superstars and their long term contracts. This means no on Tulo, especially when he'll cost talent as well. 

Zobrist could be viewed like Street was as a missing piece without a huge commitment. That said, I hate the idea of giving away even more talent when there's a decent chance that what we have can do most of what he could do anyway.

I think we mostly all agree that based on the Hamiljols Principle we should avoid over 30 superstars and their long term contracts. This means no on Tulo, especially when he'll cost talent as well.

Zobrist could be viewed like Street was as a missing piece without a huge commitment. That said, I hate the idea of giving away even more talent when there's a decent chance that what we have can do most of what he could do anyway.

I'd love to see any of the "second basemen" on the roster do we he can