• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offseason Trade Ideas

shizziejoe

The Angels would have traded Kendrick if they are in win now mode.

Hamels in a 'New York minute'

Heaney may never reach his potential. The idea is it win now. Hamels will give the Angels one of the best rotations in baseball.

I've read the Angels are one of five teams to net Hamels. Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, and Angels.

I could care less about the 30th pick in the draft. Hamels doesn't just cost $88 million, he costs talent, you know that thing you need more than anything else to win.

Your right ... Hamels isn't talent.

I don't think the Angels have the prospects to trade but to have another front rotation guy would be nice. Dipoto said he was only interested in upgrades in pitching.

How many folks would've gladly traded Richards before last year for a proven #4-5 starter? How many would've traded the prospect Trout and then some for Matt Kemp after his insane MVP-type year? How many would've given up Calhoun as a minor leaguer with no hype for a bullpen arm?

The key to the sustained success of this ball club isn't Cole Hamels, it's the inexpensive talent that will some day be major leaguers. Heaney, Nuke, Baldoquin, Sanchez, Bedrock....

How many folks would've gladly traded Richards before last year for a proven #4-5 starter? How many would've traded the prospect Trout and then some for Matt Kemp after his insane MVP-type year? How many would've given up Calhoun as a minor leaguer with no hype for a bullpen arm?

The key to the sustained success of this ball club isn't Cole Hamels, it's the inexpensive talent that will some day be major leaguers. Heaney, Nuke, Baldoquin, Sanchez, Bedrock....

this.

And the answer is way more than will admit

So you're saying Dipoto has no interest in trading for Hamels?

Scherzer is getting $170+++ and will cost a draft pick. Hamels only around $88m and no draft pick.

No to Shields too!

your thought process means they should have been in on lester who is just as good, doesn't cost draft picks OR prospects.  But they weren't.  

There are a bunch of solid pitchers that stand to free agents for 2016.  If you are going all in at some point, let it be at the deadline where it won't cost them as much to get a half year rental.  Because, frankly, you are probably going to have some dead money at the end of Hamels deal as well.  

I'm not an advocate of either, but I am certainly not a fan of trading for a player who is owed a fairly large sum of money that is now on the wrong side of 30.

but keep fighting the good fight. 

Hamels is cost controlled long term ... four years. He is a proven starter. The idea is to win the WS not just to compete. Adding a front rotation guy gives the team a better chance.

I'm not sure but I think the Angels are in the mix for Hamels.

Hamels is already 30. At what point does his performance go off the cliff? He is cost controlled long term like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton are - for a lot of money on the wrong side of 30.

There are a bunch of solid pitchers that stand to free agents for 2016. If you are going all in at some point, let it be at the deadline where it won't cost them as much to get a half year rental. Because, frankly, you are probably going to have some dead money at the end of Hamels deal as well.

This is a great point. Lots of pitching talent next off-season, and we are set to lose a lot of payroll after 2016. It would be easy to sign a big arm next off-season and still manage to get under the cap for 2017.

Might as well roll the dice this year with what we have and see if things break right again.

This is a great point. Lots of pitching talent next off-season, and we are set to lose a lot of payroll after 2016. It would be easy to sign a big arm next off-season and still manage to get under the cap for 2017.

Might as well roll the dice this year with what we have and see if things break right again.

Who are some likely free agent pitchers next year? just curious.

This year seemed great with lester, shields, and sherzer

Edited by Poozy

Who are some likely free agent pitchers next year? just curious.

This year seemed great with lester, shields, and sherzer

Cueto

Latos

Leake 

Zimmerman

Samardzija

Price

Porcello

Norris

Greinke

Gallardo 

Fister

Pretty much all on teams with playoff aspirations and with the second w/c, not a lot of those guys will be available but they certainly could be after the season and our cbt situation lightens up after this season.  

I'd rather just wait.  

Cueto

Latos

Leake 

Zimmerman

Samardzija

Price

Porcello

Norris

Greinke

Gallardo 

Fister

Pretty much all on teams with playoff aspirations and with the second w/c, not a lot of those guys will be available but they certainly could be after the season and our cbt situation lightens up after this season.  

I'd rather just wait.  

Would Greinke opt out of his contract? 

I don't see him leaving the dodgers, They would simply give greinke an extension if he has a great enough year.

It's a decent list, but I'm not overly impressed.

Edited by Poozy

They need to start focusing on offense instead of more pitching. The rotation is already a strength and there's plenty of young arms in the system that'll be knocking on the door very soon.

I'm pretty worried about the offense moving forward. Kendrick is gone, Freese and Iannetta are in their walk years, Pujols isn't getting any younger and Hamilton is dead weight. They have no position players in the minors that project as every day guys. Upgrading the offense should be the focus of next off-season, not a "big arm" .

Edited by SoWhat

They need to start focusing on offense instead of more pitching. The rotation is already a strength and there's plenty of young arms in the system that'll be knocking on the door very soon.

I'm pretty worried about the offense moving forward. Kendrick is gone, Freese and Iannetta are in their walk years, Pujols isn't getting any younger and Hamilton is dead weight. They have no position players in the minors that project as every day guys. Upgrading the offense should be the focus of next off-season, not a "big arm" .

Agreed. I don't think the pitching will be as much a concern as the offense.

The free agent market next year looks a little slim. They'll most likely have to acquire some bats via trades or international market.

Edited by Poozy

Cueto

Latos

Leake

Zimmerman

Samardzija

Price

Porcello

Norris

Greinke

Gallardo

Fister

I'd rather just wait.

Cueto 5 years, 130 million.

Get it done, jerry

Would Greinke opt out of his contract? 

I don't see him leaving the dodgers, They would simply give greinke an extension if he has a great enough year.

It's a decent list, but I'm not overly impressed.

the point was that trading a bunch of prospects away to get Hamels is ill advised at this point in that if we wanted to pay a 31yo front line starter a crap load of money then we could have just signed lester, and if we are going to give up some prospects to get a pitcher to help us for 2015, then see how we are doing at the ASB and then trade for a 1/2 year rental or just wait till the next off season and go after one of the above.  

we are not in a position to give up the pitching depth we have recently acquired in order to get a guy on the wrong side of 30 who is still owed a bunch of money.  If we are going to do that, we may as well not give up prospects.  

Plus, I feel like that's a pretty decent list with some very solid top to middle of the rotation guys even without Greinke.  I actually do think the Dodgers are going to let Greinke walk if there are options like Cueto available.