• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offseason Trade Ideas

shizziejoe

With a couple of months left until pitchers and catchers report, I thought it would be fun to see what kind of trade ideas everyone has to further improve our team. 

Trade Idea : CJ Cron+prospect for Hunter Renfroe from SD

The Padres are looking to improve their offense and that's exactly what Cron offers.  They have good outfield depth (Kemp, Venable, Maybin, Smith, Myers will be cost controlled for 4-5 more years, Liriano was promoted last year) with a need for corner IF offense.  For us, acquiring Renfroe gives us a young OF with a strong arm and good power.  With Hamilton getting older and not returning to form, it would be nice for us to have quality depth waiting in the wings to be in the OF with Trout and Calhoun.

Another player that would be a nice acquisition is Jake Lamb from the Diamondbacks.  A young 3b who can hit for average and get on base, although I'm not sure if there would be a match with the Dbacks.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  We know that at the very least, Cron is a power bat that can DH or play off the bench in late innings.  Renfroe, looked solid in the Cal League, but then again, EVERY college player should.  Once he got to a less hitter friendly environment in the Texas League and actually faced decent pitching, his numbers plummeted. 

Personally, I feel Refroe will be a solid major leaguer.  But there's no way I sacrifice Cron on the chance that Renfroe becomes a good ball player in the majors because right now he just as easily could end up being a replacement level 4th OF.  We don't have a power replacement for Cron though. 

Also, though I'm among the few, I feel like Chad Hinshaw or Bo Way could come up and show us something in the OF.  Even Grant Green didn't look terrible in LF last year.  I think the Angels will be fine in the OF. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

With a couple of months left until pitchers and catchers report, I thought it would be fun to see what kind of trade ideas everyone has to further improve our team. 

Trade Idea : CJ Cron+prospect for Hunter Renfroe from SD

The Padres are looking to improve their offense and that's exactly what Cron offers.  They have good outfield depth (Kemp, Venable, Maybin, Smith, Myers will be cost controlled for 4-5 more years, Liriano was promoted last year) with a need for corner IF offense.  For us, acquiring Renfroe gives us a young OF with a strong arm and good power.  With Hamilton getting older and not returning to form, it would be nice for us to have quality depth waiting in the wings to be in the OF with Trout and Calhoun.

Another player that would be a nice acquisition is Jake Lamb from the Diamondbacks.  A young 3b who can hit for average and get on base, although I'm not sure if there would be a match with the Dbacks.

I dont know why people want to trade Cron so much or why the D Backs would want to trade any good young players.

Maybe the Angels could get Aaron Hill from them if they want him for a year or two, not sure.

I dont know why people want to trade Cron so much or why the D Backs would want to trade any good young players.

Maybe the Angels could get Aaron Hill from them if they want him for a year or two, not sure.

He's pretty one dimensional and teams are coveting young power.  If a team wanted to overpay to get him, I would consider it but I am also very curious to see what he can do in a halo uniform.  I think he's got some ability to improve his discipline as he seem to adapt pretty well.  

Why wouldn't you trade Heaney? You have four years control for a proven #1/2 starter.

How did you get that message from what I posted.

But yea I wouldn't do the trade because it seems like the Angels have a limited budget. 

Edited by Poozy

Heaney has the upside to be a #2 starter from what I've read. So TD, would you rather have that guy for six years on the cheap to where you can afford to do multiple other upgrades to the team? Or would you rather have Hamels?

Hamels in a 'New York minute'

Heaney may never reach his potential. The idea is it win now. Hamels will give the Angels one of the best rotations in baseball.

I've read the Angels are one of five teams to net Hamels. Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, and Angels.

Heaney for Hammels is a step backwards. They traded for him to give the team a long term, cost controlled arm in the rotation. There are no good young players coming up anytime soon to supplement this core.

This team is good enough to compete as is. No need to start making bad value trades that mortgage the future.

TD, like you said it will take a lot more to get Hamels than just Heaney, so if that's true how does getting Hamels make us better? If you look at our minor league talent there's not a ton of high ceiling players, maybe Newcombe. So then you look at the major league roster and ask yourself who would the Phillies want and there are literally only four players they would want that are young, talented and cost controlled, Richards, Calhoun, Morin and Cron. I guess maybe they'd want Bedrosian. I certainly wouldn't give up Richards or Calhoun. I would consider giving up Morin or Bedrosian but not with Heaney. If the Angels really want a top of the rotation arm then just sign Scherzer and keep Heaney.