• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Major Shift in US/Cuba Relations

Lhalo

The embargo hasn't ended anything - so we just continue it for no reason?

I don't think you understand who really is behind the scenes pulling the strings.  You see, there is a splinter group of the Illuminati that is driving US Cuban policy.  It's futile to fight this group because of the power they wield.  This group wants one thing and one thing only..........vintage cars from the 50's.

Because I don't trust the government, I'm not sure what to expect.  On one hand O has overlooked 50+ years of repression.  What is in it for the U.S.  I've read many Cubans don't like the deal.

Isn't Cuba on the terrorist state list?  Will that be overlooked also?

The terrorist threat in Cuba is reduced every time another detainee from Guantanamo is released.

This whole thing really isn't funny.  First Obama allowed Mexico to infiltrate from the west, now he opens up our ocean borders to the east and more illegals. At this rate next it will be Canada and then Texas and we will be surrounded. He has began the migration of the world to our country and most whites will leave on their own or be bred out.  I am going back to Sweden.  Is that where they have the hashish and brothels everywhere?

You may be shocked to find that Cubans didn't immigrate to the US prior to the Castro revolution.   There was no real need, Cuba along with Canada and the US were the three industrialized nations in the western hemisphere at the time of the Castro revolution.  The Cuban peso was valued above the US dollar, literacy rates were high, infant mortality was low, the medical system as a whole was already very strong and the Dr/patient rates were equal to those of the UK.... They ranked in the top ten in the world for radio stations, and TV sets per capita.   It was basically a mini-US thanks in large parts to it being 90 miles away..   If you were to ask Cubans, most would tell you they thought their stay in the US was a short term thing and that they would return to Cuba after a regime change.  When it was all said and done, the Castro revolution destroyed Cuba and the embargo did more to keep him in power than it did remove him.

I'd be willing to bet that should there ever be a real change towards freedom in Cuba you'd see a lot of expats return there.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Because I don't trust the government, I'm not sure what to expect.  On one hand O has overlooked 50+ years of repression.  What is in it for the U.S.  I've read many Cubans don't like the deal.

Isn't Cuba on the terrorist state list?  Will that be overlooked also?

Cubans in Cuba are pretty stoked, Pre boat-lift era Cubans in Miami are pissed.   Of course the Cubans in Miami have been living pretty well for 50 years, while the family they left behind or that refused to leave have struggled -- for the Batista refugees it's a bitter pill to swallow but it's nothing more than an old pissing match.   I've long felt the main reason the embargo has lasted as long as it has is due to politicians catering to the Cuban community in Miami...  Let's be real who else had a vested interest in Cuba other than possibly the gaming industry in NV?  So while an isolated Cuba didn't really help anyone, a Cuba open to trade would have been bad business for the anti-Castro business in South Florida.

For most of the last 50 years Castro and now his brother have been able to blame whats wrong with Cuba on the embargo and the US for keeping them down, the embargo created an outside enemy.  Ending the embargo puts the onus back on the Cuban government and may actually cause the youth of the nation to question what they have been taught since Kindergarten....  

Edited by Inside Pitch

i was hoping you would weigh in on this, IP. good to read your thoughts.

would you take a trip to cuba at some point? i'll bet it's a beautiful country.

My stance hasn't changed any, I'd love to go there someday.  I'd like to see the places I've heard stories about and have no memory of but I'll wait it out.   My family suffered a great deal of loss at the hands of the current regime and as a result my father swore never to return until the political climate had changed and human rights were restored.... So for me going back before that happens is out of the question.  .

I think the embargo coming to an end will do more to speed the process than the slow it down any

I think the embargo coming to an end will do more to speed the process than the slow it down any

I completely agree with your analysis. The embargo gave the Cuban government something to blame their troubles on besides their own mismanagement. Removing it also removes the excuse, and IMO more contact with everyday Americans will facilitate positive change in Cuba.