• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Recommend me some podcasts

Glen

Radiolab. Start with the "Patient Zero" episode, they just re-released it. The "In the Dark" episode is fantastic as well, especially when they get to the astronaut stories.

This American Life is usually at the top of my list as well.

I'm not a huge fan of Ted Talks...lots of self flagellation...but sometimes they are pretty good. Same with The Moth.

Podcasts are a great format for storytelling I've found, so I usually stay with podcasts in that genre.

This list looks to be pretty solid, some podcasts I'm going to check out. Serial has me jonesing for more podcasts now.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/best-podcasts/

Edited by red321

I listen to a bunch but unless you're looking for movie or video game podcasts, I'm not sure if you'd be too interested.

Movie related:

Film Junk - acquired taste but easily my favorite overall podcast. Hilarious after you get to know the members

James Bonding - podcast where two L.A. comedians go through each Bond film

I Was There Too - New podcast (only 4 episodes deep) where one of the members of James Bonding interviews smaller actors who were present in famous movies or famous scenes in movies and gets their perspective (i.e. woman with the baby carriage in The Untouchables)

Video Game related:

Giant Bombcast - best video game podcast. Catch you up on any news and the guys that host the show are smart and entertaining. Sadly, had a member pass away last year, so the dynamic changed a bit but still very strong

Edited by Sam Sanchez

So a stupid question for you guys...

Where do you listen to podcasts? I have the podcast icon on my iphone, do I search podcasts through that? Does each episode download automatically? Give me the skinny on podcasts. I listen to a soccer podcast every week but they put it up on youtube so I end up just listening to the youtube feed.

You can go to search (or top charts) and find the podcast you want. Then hit the Subscribe button. You can then change the settings. I have a bad connection at work so I have it automatically download episodes I want to make sure I can access. Others I just have stream. If you go to My Podcasts select the podcast you want. It will show the latest epsiodes. If you select My Feeds it might bring up some of the older episodes that you can then listen to if you want.

https://www.apple.com/support/ios/podcasts/

Edited by red321

So a stupid question for you guys...

Where do you listen to podcasts? I have the podcast icon on my iphone, do I search podcasts through that? Does each episode download automatically? Give me the skinny on podcasts. I listen to a soccer podcast every week but they put it up on youtube so I end up just listening to the youtube feed.

I download them to my ipod and listen to them to/from work.  50 minute drive one way, so I have a lot of time to kill and I'm a bit burned out on music right now.

I listen to a bunch but unless you're looking for movie or video game podcasts, I'm not sure if you'd be too interested.

Movie related:

Film Junk - acquired taste but easily my favorite overall podcast. Hilarious after you get to know the members

James Bonding - podcast where two L.A. comedians go through each Bond film

I Was There Too - New podcast (only 4 episodes deep) where one of the members of James Bonding interviews smaller actors who were present in famous movies or famous scenes in movies and gets their perspective (i.e. woman with the baby carriage in The Untouchables)

Video Game related:

Giant Bombcast - best video game podcast. Catch you up on any news and the guys that host the show are smart and entertaining. Sadly, had a member pass away last year, so the dynamic changed a bit but still very strong

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'm not the hardcore film guy that you are but I'll give some of those a shot.

You can go to search (or top charts) and find the podcast you want. Then hit the Subscribe button. You can then change the settings. I have a bad connection at work so I have it automatically download episodes I want to make sure I can access. Others I just have stream. If you go to My Podcasts select the podcast you want. It will show the latest epsiodes. If you select My Feeds it might bring up some of the older episodes that you can then listen to if you want.

https://www.apple.com/support/ios/podcasts/

Thanks Red

I Was There, Too sounds like a good one.

It's a good one. Very interesting, though they are still trying to iron out the format. So far, the four guests have been, Paul F. Tompkins who was in There Will Be Blood when DDL gives his speech, one of the marine guys in Aliens, Greg Proops for Phantom Menace, and the lady from The Untouchables. All have been interesting listens.

I've liked Adam Carolla for years, and I believe he does a podcast every day, sometimes he posts his live shows, I listen to him from time to time.

He also does one once a week called "Ace on The House" with his old buddy Ray and they talk construction/tools and tips, which can be entertaining, however sometimes he talks too much about other stuff, and not enough about home improvement. But the home improvement stuff is pretty good and those 2 guys know a lot about what they're talking about.

He's got his own app too, so you can stream it on your phone and hook it to your AUX in the car instead of downloading them.

So another question regarding the podcast app on the iphone. If I get the podcast show and it's under "my podcast" and I listen to an episode is the episode downloaded to my phone or am I ultimately just streaming it.

I ask this for data usage reasons. I don't want to be listening to an hour show on my car and there goes half of my monthly allotment of data.

No one mentioned Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Glen, you'd probably dig it.

Maron's not my cup of tea from a comedy standpoint. I can't help but feel he's trying way too hard to sound extra intellectual all the time. But, his podcast is very good usually. He gets great guests and they open up. 

So another question regarding the podcast app on the iphone. If I get the podcast show and it's under "my podcast" and I listen to an episode is the episode downloaded to my phone or am I ultimately just streaming it.

I ask this for data usage reasons. I don't want to be listening to an hour show on my car and there goes half of my monthly allotment of data.

I download the episode while connected to wifi (click on the cloud icon to download it). If there are multiple episodes I want to listen to, I download them all. If it doesn't have the cloud icon next to it, you are listening to it from a downloaded version. If you hit the cloud icon while not connected to wifi it streams it (downloads the whole file to your phone).

Most podcasts are pretty small data wise, about 25mb.

No one mentioned Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Glen, you'd probably dig it.

Maron's not my cup of tea from a comedy standpoint. I can't help but feel he's trying way too hard to sound extra intellectual all the time. But, his podcast is very good usually. He gets great guests and they open up. 

Agree with you on Maron's standup.  Listened to his podcast with the Amazing Jonathan, that was good.  Amazing Jonathan did a lot of drugs.

the amazing jonathan has one of the cheesiest, best magician acts i've ever seen.

When I was a wee lad I went through a "magic" phase, bought a bunch of kits and books and learned some tricks.  Doug Henning was my inspiration.  Later on, I saw the Amazing Jonathan do his show and I was hooked.  

When I was a wee lad I went through a "magic" phase, bought a bunch of kits and books and learned some tricks.  Doug Henning was my inspiration.  Later on, I saw the Amazing Jonathan do his show and I was hooked.  

the whole thing with drinking the glass cleaner was brilliant. i like the knife through the forearm thing, too. his whole schtick is addictive.