• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Headley Agrees to Deal with Yankees

Lou

So what are they planning to do with A-Rod?  That's a ton of money ($21M '15, $20M '16, $20M '17) to leave sitting on the bench... then again it is the Yankees...

I hope the Yankees sit ARod's ass on the bench for the rest of his contract. That would be great. Don't even let him pinch hit.

At that price, I believe the Angels should have been all over him.

I don't know man. He's had one great year and several meh to so-so years. 

I think there's a better chance that he's a .700 OPS guy than an .800 OPS guy. 

Anyhow, I've cooled on Headley. While he was truly great in 2012, there's no way around the fact that he is, in the end, a lifetime .265/.347/.409 hitter. I know, I know - he played in San Diego. But he wasn't really that much better in NY. I expect he might hit something like .270/.360/.420 with 15 HR next year, which is pretty good these days for a good defensive third baseman, but the gap between him and Freese is just not large enough to warrant the money IMO.

Anyhow, I've cooled on Headley. While he was truly great in 2012, there's no way around the fact that he is, in the end, a lifetime .265/.347/.409 hitter. I know, I know - he played in San Diego. But he wasn't really that much better in NY. I expect he might hit something like .270/.360/.420 with 15 HR next year, which is pretty good these days for a good defensive third baseman, but the gap between him and Freese is just not large enough to warrant the money IMO.

Isn't NYY pretty tough on RH hitters? Bottom line is that his bat is probably equal to Freese and his defense us substantially better. The other issue is we have no replacement for Freese so he will be expensive soon too.

Moncada to Giants imo

Makes sense, but I hope we try to get him ourselves.   No worries on international spending cap, since we already reached that anyway

Question gets back to, can Aybar effectively play SS after his contract expires following the 2016 season?

He would be 33 in 2017.

Edited by Angel Oracle

those numbers would make 2015 the 2nd best season of his career. 

Isn't NYY pretty tough on RH hitters? Bottom line is that his bat is probably equal to Freese and his defense us substantially better. The other issue is we have no replacement for Freese so he will be expensive soon too.

Based on park factors last year (statcorner.com), Yankee Stadium showed a HR index of 131 for LHBs Vs. 132 for RHBs.  Given Headley is a switch hitter the move to Yankee Stadium was an all around solid move for him.  

The other thing to consider is that there was talk regarding Headley's epidural injections last year.... that's been a cute way for players to get around some of the PED guidelines in recent years.  Headley was known to have had at least one such procedure in June of last year.  His season turned around the following month.

Not sure Headley is a good bet to continue his second half surge moving forward.  Minus that uptick, that's a hard contract to swallow.

Edited by Inside Pitch