• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Harper

He'd still be under club control, due for arbitration through 2018.

Anyhow, I'm not even sure I'd want Harper as an Angel. Harper's talent is immense - he's one of the few players you can actually ever predict has the ability to eventually hit 50 HR with an OPS over 1.000, but I'm starting to think he might be a player that will never fulfill his potential, or if he does it will be in such a douchy manner that he won't be a beloved team member. I could see an Albert Belle kind of career.

There's just something that happens to people who have been told their whole life that they're better than everyone else.  Harper's had to experience that.  I mean he was even on the cover of SI at 16.  If that doesn't tell you as a kid that you're above everyone else, then nothing else does.  Plus he had to grow up around the glitz and glam of Vegas, where everything and everyone that's "good" is eccentric and displayed in bright lights.  

Suddenly, he's an adult and people act surprised that he's turned into a total douche.  And it's only going to get worse, just like with A-Rod.

Whereas, compare it to the blue-collar upbringing of Trout.  He was middle class, his parents were teachers and he grew up in a random small town.  He grew up on stories of how much hard work it takes to be a ball player, how much hard work it is to be a teacher and that we don't cause attention to ourselves because this is a team game.  

Now you see Trout the adult.  Humble, does it for the team.  Just a good guy.  

There's the difference.  It's not so much what they do now as much as it is a culmination of their life experiences. 

We'll sign him to a 10-year $300 million dollar deal when he's past his prime. But I think he's still under club control if he wins, no? He would just become arb eligible? While the idea of Trout and Harper is tantalizing it's not happening. Harper, Trout, and Calhoun outfield would be pretty sick lol 

This is more of a Boras move to try and invalidate the contract he penned for Harper. But Harper isn't helping himself by not attending the Fanfest claiming it is out of his control. That is a lie, he has no restrictions attending a team event regardless of a contract dispute. But he and Boras are a match made in Hades. Two of the most exceptionally talented people in their field with no clue as how their actions are a bulldozer of douchebagery. destroying any goodwill in their path. Even if they were in the right, they go about everything the wrong way.

So is Harper a 10 on the douche scale or does he have room to grow?

on the 60-80 scale, i think most scouts have him as plus plus.

Reminds me of puig. Ton of talent...so far more hyped than the results support. Bad attitude to ice the cake.

And there are still funny comparisons to trout...lol

There's just something that happens to people who have been told their whole life that they're better than everyone else.  Harper's had to experience that.  I mean he was even on the cover of SI at 16.  If that doesn't tell you as a kid that you're above everyone else, then nothing else does.  Plus he had to grow up around the glitz and glam of Vegas, where everything and everyone that's "good" is eccentric and displayed in bright lights.  

It didn't help that the local media treated him like a Hall of Famer before he had accomplished a damned thing. Privately several members of the media despised him (and also his father, who became insufferable for them to deal with), but outwardly they promoted him relentlessly.

It's not like this city ever produced a big time major leaguer like Greg Maddux or anything.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Suddenly, he's an adult and people act surprised that he's turned into a total douche.  And it's only going to get worse, just like with A-Rod.

So what you're saying is that Harper suffers from affluenza.