• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Great Jerry Dipoto Quote Tonight

Chuck

This has been JD's best offseason as a GM.   

i'd think it has to be last year's. for various reasons, the most important being his unbelievable roster building to get us some controllable young pitching, his bullpen rebuild, and position player flexibility. not to be overlooked though and what i think sways it, is the fact that the angels had sucked hard under his tenure up to that point and zero of his FA signings had been even worth a shit. the point being his contract was up and there is no way his job wasn't on the line. 2013 saw him save his job and give birth to a new angels future. today, he's just building on that.

I wonder how pundits would rank our farm now. The addition of Baldoquin, Heaney, and Tropeano goes a long way toward improving the farm.

I imagine they'd still rank it pretty low because...whatever reason they can find.

i'd think it has to be last year's. for various reasons, the most important being his unbelievable roster building to get us some controllable young pitching, his bullpen rebuild, and position player flexibility. not to be overlooked though and what i think sways it, is the fact that the angels had sucked hard under his tenure up to that point and zero of his FA signings had been even worth a shit. the point being his contract was up and there is no way his job wasn't on the line. 2013 saw him save his job and give birth to a new angels future. today, he's just building on that.

I think we can now all agree dipoto had little to do with the signing of pujols and hamilton. Those were definitely moves made by arte.

There's no way he would've kept his job if he made the call to sign them.

Glad to see arte and scioscia are letting dipoto actually do his job now.

Edited by Poozy

I think we can now all agree dipoto had little to do with the signing of pujols and hamilton. Those were definitely moves made by arte.

DiPoto:  " It’s not to get a bunch of guys that everybody has heard of all the time and run them out there and let it flame out.”

Yep....pretty sure I know who DiPoto was talking about with this quote....

I like the balance of being the A's and being, well, the Angels.  The all or nothing approach doesn't work.  It didn't work in the '70/'80s with big signings and it hasn't worked with the Hamilton, Pujol moves.  (The goal in MLB is always to win the World Series; it's not enough to get to the playoffs).

Dipoto's attitude and strategy is the what the Angels have been lacking for decades.  A version of this has worked well for your SF Giant and SL Cardinal.