• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Edinson Volquez looking for $20MM deal

Troll Daddy

Free agent starter Edinson Volquez is looking for a two-year, $20MM contract this offseason, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press tweets. Volquez, 31, is coming off a strong season with the Pirates in which he pitched 192 2/3 innings with a 3.04 ERA, 6.5 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 while also posting an excellent 50.1% ground ball rate.

MLBtraderunors.com

With a strong farm system in place, you can win by spending wisely on guys like Volquez, even if you miss on some of them....the return on huge contract guys is never very good....even with they are ok (Pujols, CJ), it doesn't justify the long term money....when they aren't (Hamilton, Wells), it's an anchor....

edinson volquez is a horrible pitcher. you guys are crazy. i'd take cj wilson five times a week over volquez. if the angels signed him, this place would lose their minds after a month of that dude.

Agreed.  Volquez didn't have a bounce back season last year, he had the best and only the second good year of his career last year.  He will also be 32. There is a chance he could do well, but I don't see the point in taking a risk on him for that price especially considering he is a career 4.44 ERA, 1.454 WHIP, 88 ERA+, 4.32 FIP guy in the NL. He also has a measly 1.80 SO/BB ratio, which is worse then CJ.  Even last year in his best year he had a sub 2.00 SO/BB ratio and a 4.15 FIP, which leads me to believe that last year was indeed a fluke.  He is hoping that a team will take a gamble based purely on last year.  If he had a better track record and last year was really a bounce back year I could see this being a solid deal, but whoever signs him is taking a big risk that Volquez is suddenly a better pitcher then he has been his whole career.