• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I Got In A Car Accident Tonight - Advice

nando714

That doesn't help when the other driver's insurance company insists on non-OEM. 

Geico (not my insurer) pulled this with me on the initial estimate.  They wanted to use aftermarket bumper pieces.  I had the body shop argue with them and finally they relented. 

then you did the right thing

Do you live in CA?  If so, you can go anywhere you want. If they give you any problems, file a complaint with the insurance commish.

Allstate tried to push me to their repair guy. I filed a complaint and they contacted me within two days, backpedaling like a guilty politician.

bingo

three words insurance companies HATE  to hear are " Department of Insurance"

remember that,  folks 

When someone crunched my bumper cover (hit and run), Allstate (my insurer) let me pick my own shop BUT they only had a lifetime warranty on work from their preferred shop. Their shop was some hole-in-the-wall place with multiple crunched cars in their parking lot. And the receptionist or whoever actually asked me if I was going to get it fixed (or take the money?). Uh no.

so you didn't get it fixed?

You must work in the industry?  Yes / no?  Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. =)

I would never go to a "preferred" shop again for a couple reasons:  (1) their insistence on non-OEM parts. (2) refusing to inspect certain things in my presence -- like the frame, saying "we'll check it out later."  Yeah, right.  None of this means they are dishonest or do bad work, I just didn't feel they were looking out for my best interests.

In fairness, the adjusters weren't very interested in a thorough inspection either.  I had to persuade them to get on the ground with a flashlight to look underneath the car.  The private body shop I found for the second and third accidents said this is a very common tactic in the industry.  Your thoughts, mancini79?

Used to work in the industry. But can't emphasize enough why it's good to consider DRP (Direct Repair Program Shops) from an insurance company. They require that the shop has proper equipment and qualified workers to do the job. The best body shops are a DRP of a couple insurance companies. There is a good chance that the body shop you went to was a DRP of another insurance company. 1) They were insistent for non-OEM parts since that's an industry standard in CA. A lot of insurance policies do not cover OEM parts. But I can't recall the procedure if you are the claimant. Regardless, you have the right to request genuine or OEM parts and I've never heard of a body shop refusing to honor that request. Either the insurance co or customer will pay the difference. 2) It's uncommon for a customer to stay and inspect the vehicle with a shop tech. Many times a shop just can't clear a lift and do a full inspection when the car is dropped off. Even if the adjuster missed damage on the initial inspection, the DRP would definitely notify the insurance co. In fact some DRP's have the ability to make the repair without the adjusters approval. They may have a partnership with the insurance company, but you are their customer. A shop would not overlook damage to please the insurance company. The shop would lose out on making more $$ and open themselves up to huge liability. It's a lose/lose.

Quick note on OEM. Always insist on them especially for body work. The hood and bumpers have gone through extensive testing from the auto manufacturer to crumple correctly for that specific vehicle. Non-OEM parts will hurt the value of the vehicle. When selling your car, keep the paperwork from the bodyshop as proof.

I think it was Nate that had a problem with his fixed vehicle because it was almost deemed totaled.....Of course it wasn't the same when you got it back. IT WAS $100 AWAY FROM BEING TOTALED. There is no body shop that could fix that car back to normal. There was probably more non-OEM parts than OEM parts left. Blame the insurance co for offering that then look in the mirror for accepting it. Insurance got away with not having to pay market value for the car.

Oh, mp170, stop getting into so many accidents!

Used to work in the industry. But can't emphasize enough why it's good to consider DRP (Direct Repair Program Shops) from an insurance company. They require that the shop has proper equipment and qualified workers to do the job. The best body shops are a DRP of a couple insurance companies. There is a good chance that the body shop you went to was a DRP of another insurance company. 1) They were insistent for non-OEM parts since that's an industry standard in CA. A lot of insurance policies do not cover OEM parts. But I can't recall the procedure if you are the claimant. Regardless, you have the right to request genuine or OEM parts and I've never heard of a body shop refusing to honor that request. Either the insurance co or customer will pay the difference. 2) It's uncommon for a customer to stay and inspect the vehicle with a shop tech. Many times a shop just can't clear a lift and do a full inspection when the car is dropped off. Even if the adjuster missed damage on the initial inspection, the DRP would definitely notify the insurance co. In fact some DRP's have the ability to make the repair without the adjusters approval. They may have a partnership with the insurance company, but you are their customer. A shop would not overlook damage to please the insurance company. The shop would lose out on making more $$ and open themselves up to huge liability. It's a lose/lose.

Quick note on OEM. Always insist on them especially for body work. The hood and bumpers have gone through extensive testing from the auto manufacturer to crumple correctly for that specific vehicle. Non-OEM parts will hurt the value of the vehicle. When selling your car, keep the paperwork from the bodyshop as proof.

I think it was Nate that had a problem with his fixed vehicle because it was almost deemed totaled.....Of course it wasn't the same when you got it back. IT WAS $100 AWAY FROM BEING TOTALED. There is no body shop that could fix that car back to normal. There was probably more non-OEM parts than OEM parts left. Blame the insurance co for offering that then look in the mirror for accepting it. Insurance got away with not having to pay market value for the car.

Oh, mp170, stop getting into so many accidents!

Thanks for responding. I like hearing both sides of the story.

I guess my objection to steering is how insurance companies recommend places that wouldn't be in business if not for that DRP partnership.  The list of preferred DRP's supplied by State Farm was enlightening.  Half of them in my area had no online presence at all -- no reviews, no website, no BBB action, nothing.  The rest had mediocre to slightly above average reviews.  I normally don't put much faith into Yelp reviews since people are notoriously hard to please.  On the other hand, when several people tell stories about parts falling off their car, weird vibrations, loose door handles, you name it, those are serious red flags. 

For these body shops, I don't see how it's possible to give 100% for the customer's best interests when you must please your master, the insurance company, to stay in business. 

Thanks for responding. I like hearing both sides of the story.

I guess my objection to steering is how insurance companies recommend places that wouldn't be in business if not for that DRP partnership.  The list of preferred DRP's supplied by State Farm was enlightening.  Half of them in my area had no online presence at all -- no reviews, no website, no BBB action, nothing.  The rest had mediocre to slightly above average reviews.  I normally don't put much faith into Yelp reviews since people are notoriously hard to please.  On the other hand, when several people tell stories about parts falling off their car, weird vibrations, loose door handles, you name it, those are serious red flags. 

For these body shops, I don't see how it's possible to give 100% for the customer's best interests when you must please your master, the insurance company, to stay in business. 

Checked their DRP's in my area and have 25 shops. Included on the list are some of the best in the area (Apex, FV Bodyworks, Fix Auto, Caliber, Gustafsons, Imperial to name some). Seems like a solid list for insurers to choose from. I would assume the same for other areas. The insurance company and body shops are both trying to please the same customer. If the insured is not happy they could drop their insurance policy. Plus the work is guaranteed and if people have issues with the work, take it back to the shop. The shop could lose their DRP if too many customers complain to the insurance company.

Question for the insurance dudes.

I recently sold my car and obviously people are going to do their due diligence. With this particular Audi I was the first (last?) car in a minor pile up on the freeway. Not at fault and everything went smooth outside of insurance taking care of my injuries from a doctor.

Work was done on the car via whoever my insurance company directed me to, which was a good shop. All taken care of.

My question is, the first private party person was interested and ran a Car Fax on my car and the accident didn't show up. Us there a threshold or reason why the car didn't show up? I put the above stuff in the post because maybe it was relevant to why it was put on there. I considered price of the fix (why I mentioned the model) and considered the fact I used an insurance shop. Do those matter? Does the price or type of claim matter?

I was kind of surprised it wasn't listed.

Question for the insurance dudes.

I recently sold my car and obviously people are going to do their due diligence. With this particular Audi I was the first (last?) car in a minor pile up on the freeway. Not at fault and everything went smooth outside of insurance taking care of my injuries from a doctor.

Work was done on the car via whoever my insurance company directed me to, which was a good shop. All taken care of.

My question is, the first private party person was interested and ran a Car Fax on my car and the accident didn't show up. Us there a threshold or reason why the car didn't show up? I put the above stuff in the post because maybe it was relevant to why it was put on there. I considered price of the fix (why I mentioned the model) and considered the fact I used an insurance shop. Do those matter? Does the price or type of claim matter?

I was kind of surprised it wasn't listed.

Carfax obtains their information from the DMV and buys records from countless other sources. So both your insurance co and body shop did not sell your info to Carfax. I've seen major damages all the way down to oil changes on Carfax reports.

If you have a regular mechanic you take your cars to, ask him for a good body shop.  I asked my mechanic for an accident my aunt got into, thinking he would recommend the body shop next door, that was approved by the insurance company.  He said to stay away from them.  And we ended up going to a place a few miles away.

The cop was a total dick (oc sheriff) he was so adamant about not taking a report down. He said no one was hurt it's a basic traffic accident I'm just doing a collision report.

Now I'm ****ed I think. Because it's his word against mine. But if you look at the pics and look at our cars you can clearly see he made an illegal u turn cross my line.

I think in the end I'm gonna get screwed

Could I still file a report if I go to the station?

A report is not going to change the fact of the matter at this point.  Many Agencies have a policy of not taking reports of non-injury collisions.  That being said, I recommend ALWAYS requesting (almost demanding) that a report be taken!

Most Agencies policy is that the investigating Officer put both statements into the report, ALONG with his/her conclusion of the cause of the collision based on physical evidence and statements.  Even if the particular Agencies' policy is NOT to state a conclusion, it would at least get a first statement from the other party before they wisened-up to working the system.

ALWAYS try to find an un-involved witness!  Often, we see that other people will stop to check the well of all parties.  If they don't offer to be a witness, ask for their info before they leave.

Lastly, You're all guilty of this one!...  Clean-out those old insurance cards!   B) My glove-box is the cleanest part of my truck; I have an "Accident kit" in there (aside from my First-aid/EMT bag) that contains my current insurance card and registration.  I also keep a copy of our Dept.s' Collision form to fill-out, along with the info-sheets we fill-out for those involved in non-injuries where reports aren't taken.

The info you need to exchange is- Name, phone number, insurance, vehicle information.

Good luck!  I had a collision go 50/50 years ago, because I didn't have an independent witness...  Insurance companies suck.

A report is not going to change the fact of the matter at this point.  Many Agencies have a policy of not taking reports of non-injury collisions.  That being said, I recommend ALWAYS requesting (almost demanding) that a report be taken!

Most Agencies policy is that the investigating Officer put both statements into the report, ALONG with his/her conclusion of the cause of the collision based on physical evidence and statements.  Even if the particular Agencies' policy is NOT to state a conclusion, it would at least get a first statement from the other party before they wisened-up to working the system.

ALWAYS try to find an un-involved witness!  Often, we see that other people will stop to check the well of all parties.  If they don't offer to be a witness, ask for their info before they leave.

Lastly, You're all guilty of this one!...  Clean-out those old insurance cards!   B) My glove-box is the cleanest part of my truck; I have an "Accident kit" in there (aside from my First-aid/EMT bag) that contains my current insurance card and registration.  I also keep a copy of our Dept.s' Collision form to fill-out, along with the info-sheets we fill-out for those involved in non-injuries where reports aren't taken.

The info you need to exchange is- Name, phone number, insurance, vehicle information.

Good luck!  I had a collision go 50/50 years ago, because I didn't have an independent witness...  Insurance companies suck.

if insurance companies took their clients' word for it, all accidents would be non-fault 

I was fortunate that the accident I had occurred right in front of a CHP officer so I had the best witness you can have on an accident report.

I was on the 134 right near the Autry Museum going west.  It was raining pretty hard, I was going about 50-55 MPH in the left hand lane when an asian kid in a brand new Camry lost traction and spun right into my lane.  I didn't even have time to hit the brakes, T'd him right in his door.  He broke four ribs.  The impact sent me into a spin into the carpool lane and against the center divider wall, facing the wrong way.  Another car in the carpool lane slammed into me head on.  Two illegal immigrants from El Salvador.  They were ****ed.  Ticketed for driving without a license and deported.

I came out of it fine some how.  Car was destroyed, bent frame, massive amounts of body damage.  Some how my mom was talked into getting it repaired instead of being totaled.  I was only driving it because my car was unreliable and I was driving out to Ventura in the rain from Arcadia.  If I was in my '84 300ZX and not my Mom's brand new Altima I probably would have died.

Anyway never trust the insurance company.

I've never had an issue with insurance except that pile up I mentioned. Everyone agreed I wasn't at fault, or everyone else but the driver that smashed into us all. But the at faults party didn't want to take care of my medical expenses (I was unaware insurance companies could diagnose injuries and treatments). The doctors insurance handler was going to help me take them to court....I didn't seek pain and suffering, I was simply treated and then insurance rejected paying the doctor. Eventually the doctor just took what the insurance offered to close out my file. I think this included personal money to me, but I didn't care.

I just found it absurd that driving safe and getting slammed into I was almost stuck with a couple grand in medical bills.