• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Workers lose fair-pay case over hours spent in security screenings

This isn't CA law, it is federal law. In CA, an employer would almost certainly have to compensate this time. And I believe the Supreme Court was unanimous in their opinion on this, so it isn't exactly a controversial decision.

Edited by wopphil

I don't understand this ruling at all. If it is required for all employees, it should be compensated.

For instance, I get paid time for training for continuing education credits. While not directly related to my job, it is a requirement for me to maintain the license I must have to hold my position.

employees from staffing agencies aren't unionized. why do you think these companies hire those kind of workers? those employees are treated like shit: benefits suck, no vacation or sick time, and they can be pulled from their assignment at anytime.

I have seen warehouse supervisors from temp staffing companies make $30 per hour, so I am not so sure it is accurate to suggest they all get paid crap. And I know that at least some staffing companies work hard to provide their employees with steady, consistent employment.

Of course, nothing prevents those employees from working hard, learning a skill, and then saying goodbye to the staffing companies. This idea that workers are powerless to change their own situation is absurd.

I have seen warehouse supervisors from temp staffing companies make $30 per hour,

you haven't seen warehouse supervisors from staffing companies making that because those supervisors are actual employees of the company. i know this because i worked a shitty job at the actual staffing agency.

http://jobs.integritystaffing.com/go/Integrity%40Amazon-Jobs/295839/?&title=&location=&date=&sortby=7&sortdir=desc

no supervisor jobs for amazon offered from the staffing agency.

so I am not so sure it is accurate to suggest they all get paid crap. 

i said the benefits are.

And I know that at least some staffing companies work hard to provide their employees with steady, consistent employment.

the majority of these jobs are temp nature. the goal isn't to provide a certain person with a job, it's to have a warm body in the seat/at the machine so the company makes a 100% mark up on the employee.

Of course, nothing prevents those employees from working hard, learning a skill, and then saying goodbye to the staffing companies. This idea that workers are powerless to change their own situation is absurd.

i wasn't a person who went back to school at 28 because the lending industry tanked in 08, move back in with my mom and take that shitty job at that staffing company just so i could have some spending money. wait that's exactly what i did.

No, I have actually seen supervisors employed by the temp companies making that kind of money. And then typically after six months, they get hired directly by the business. But perhaps your experiences have been different.

And props to you for going back to school at 28. Have you seen any benefit yet from doing so?

prior to retirement, we were compensated for time spent waiting in security. it took us filing litigation to get it (california)

In CA if you are under the control of your employer, you almost certainly must be compensated. Mandatory security checks would constitute such control.

And I think that is the way it should be, but that isn't federal law, and most states simply follow federal law.

the majority of these jobs are temp nature. the goal isn't to provide a certain person with a job, it's to have a warm body in the seat/at the machine so the company makes a 100% mark up on the employee.

Actually, for some temp agencies, finding the temp employee a permanent job is their goal.  Because if I remember how they worked, they get something like a 40-50% commission on the first year salary of that employee if they are hired by the employer.  And it's not the employee paying that commission, but the company.  Some companies use temp agencies as a recruiting tool.  And cherry pick the few that they think fits well long term with the company.  

Actually, for some temp agencies, finding the temp employee a permanent job is their goal.  Because if I remember how they worked, they get something like a 40-50% commission on the first year salary of that employee if they are hired by the employer.  And it's not the employee paying that commission, but the company.  Some companies use temp agencies as a recruiting tool.  And cherry pick the few that they think fits well long term with the company.  

that's more accurate for someone who get's directly hired by a company using the staffing agency's resources. 

as for temps it could be that way. it's specifies in the contracts they draw up with the companies. generally as time goes on the less money the hiring company would have to pay the staffing agency because of the high mark up. i don't know the exact numbers, but from my time it's very low that the temps will go on to employment with the companies. the employees at the staffing agencies need to hit their billing metrics. if they have a temp on a job for an extended time it's golden because of the mark up. 

moneywise, yes. but i move out to austin tomorrow so i'll let you be the judge of that.

There are worse places to live. Summer can be brutal. And hopefully you like hipsterish weirdos. 

But can't beat the grub

Edited by Adam

If they knew this was the deal before they agreed to terms of employment then screw them and I hope they had to pay Amazon's legal costs. 

Hard to argue that a case the SCOTUS felt was worthy to hear was egregious enough to justify legal costs be paid.

Hard to argue that a case the SCOTUS felt was worthy to hear was egregious enough to justify legal costs be paid.

True. I was just sharing a general opinion about "stuff" like this.

We attend an employment and labor law conference annually and the cases they highlight are absolutely nuts. They make me hate the average American worker. 

Edited by Adam