• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Roberto Baldoquin Arrives!

Chuck

Cuban infielder Roberto Baldoquin is in the United States and will take a physical with the Angels next week.

Assuming he passes, his $8 million deal that was reported over a month ago will be finalized. With Howie Kendrick due to become a free agent after the 2015 season, Baldoquin could be ready to take over as the Angels' second baseman by 2016.

Neither does anyone else really.  I mean there are only so many conclusions you can reach based on his released video.  

1. We know that he was really good in the "prep" ranks when he played on the Cuban 16-u team, like he was the best 16 year old in the world.  

2. He started playing in the Cuban major leagues at 17 and hasn't been very good at all until last year when he hit .279/.372 with pop at shortstop.  

3. He was the youngest player in the league in his first season and even on his own team he was more of a backup to Alex Guerrero (7 years older than him) who now plays with the Dodgers.  

4. We signed him at 20, and expect him to stick at shortstop and to move straight to A+ or AA. 

5. He won't turn 21 until mid-way through next season. 

You have to believe that at 8 million dollars, shattering our international budget and only 20 years old, this kid is bringing something really special to the table and it's only a matter of time until we learn what that is. 

"He looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre," Angels General Manager Jerry Dipoto said. "He has a live body, he's strong, he understands the strike zone, he has good power and he knows how to put together an at-bat.

"He's not a raw, let's-wait-and-see-how-this-turns-out projection. He looks like a major league player now. He needs a little time in the minor leagues to adjust to a new country, but he's a pretty mature kid."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-20141210-story.html

This may be off topic a bit, but does anyone know why it seems like it's so easy to get out of Cuba these days? I seem to remember it being some harrowing experience for Kendrys to get out and you always hear about the people in shark infested waters, etc- has there been a change in getting these players out of Cuba that I just haven't heard about?

"We asked Alfredo, 'Can this guy play shortstop?' " Dipoto said. "He said, 'Yes, he can.' We believe he's a shortstop, an everyday player. He's a gifted defender with soft hands and the arm strength to play any infield position. … The only tool that grades out as average is speed. We don't see him as a flyer, a base stealer."

this is a big deal to me.  I feel like Alfredo can make a capable defender out of anyone and for him to endorse baldoquin as a SS means a lot.  

This may be off topic a bit, but does anyone know why it seems like it's so easy to get out of Cuba these days? I seem to remember it being some harrowing experience for Kendrys to get out and you always hear about the people in shark infested waters, etc- has there been a change in getting these players out of Cuba that I just haven't heard about?

funny you mention that

https://sports.vice.com/article/the-weirdest-cuban-baseball-defector-story-youll-ever-read

The recent comps that Baldo has received has encouraged me. I'm getting the feeling that the Angels may have possibly found a league average 2B/SS who will be very cheap. The fact that he's close to major league ready is very nice to hear too.

However, until we see him in game action, it'll be tough to judge this guy. 

Interesting story.

Reminds me how stupid it is that we are pretty much the only country that still embargoes trade with and travel to Cuba.Fidel is no longer officially in charge. This policy is so 50 years ago, it's stupid to continue to maintain it.

Cuban players should be subject to the same rules as players from any other Latin American country. Only our myopic near-sighted policy makes this such an ordeal for Cubans in general and Cuban ballplayers in particular.

"He looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre," Angels General Manager Jerry Dipoto said. "He has a live body, he's strong, he understands the strike zone, he has good power and he knows how to put together an at-bat.

"He's not a raw, let's-wait-and-see-how-this-turns-out projection. He looks like a major league player now. He needs a little time in the minor leagues to adjust to a new country, but he's a pretty mature kid."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-20141210-story.html

Hopefully he will have a better OBP and defensive metrics than Yunel Escobar. But having a little Beltre in him does not suck.