• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mining the Rule 5 Draft for Talent

Second Base

This year's class may be the most talented Rule 5 draft class ever.  Highlighted by surprisingly high-end talent in AA or higher.  I think rarely will you ever see a DeShields, Skole, Featherston or Winkler in any draft, let alone a collection of them. 

http://monkeywithahalo.com/2014-articles/mining-the-rule-5-draft-for-talent.html

If chosen in the Rule 5 draft, a player must be kept on the selecting team's 25-man major league roster for the entire season after the draft—he may not be optioned or designated to the minors.

This is one of the reasons Rule 5 players can be a gamble not worth taking. If your team is rebuilding then go ahead and grab up some borderline talent. If your team is trying to squeeze the most out of each roster spot then the Rule 5 pick could be money wasted on a guy that should probably sit in the minors picking up needed experience.

I saw Delino DeShields Jr play for the Jethawks a few years back and he looked very much like a guy headed to the majors. He cooled off a lot moving up to AA. It could be from moving him off of 2nd base to the outfield for the first time in his minor league career but the Angels need a quality infielder and in particular a SS so Delino is no one to pick up for that 25th spot on the bench.

I can see Featherston being that guy.  Decent enough defensive SS and 2B, enough arm to play 3B, got some pop in his bat, is a product of the Rockies system.  He's the sort of guy the Angels are shopping for right now.  

My own personal favorite, I want them to go after Matt Skole.  I feel that he's going to be a major league 3B sooner rather than later and seeing as Baldoquin has been confirmed as a shortstop, we kind of need that option at 3B.  

Our current 3B options include Stamets (a light-hitting SS), Johnson (a non-toolsy utility infielder), Kaleb Cowart (isn't batting his weight in two seasons at AA) Cal Towey (will be 25 in AA next year), and Zac Houchins (still in rookie ball).  Freese is hitting the market next offseason.  He's seeing the lackluster performance Chase Headley put up and being rewarded with 50 million dollars.  If Freese has a half-way decent season he'll be very rich very soon.  

The Angels need a replacement 3B, and they need one now.  I think it's either Featherston or Skole.  It's cost-effective and could pay off big. 

Same here, Eric. However, with Green, I still go after Delino. Speed + defense + plate discipline.. worth a spot as a utility guy.

You have to put him on the 25 man roster and keep him there. That means build that roster with him in mind as the spot left fielder and 2nd baseman, leaving the SS to Green to cover? It could work out but when you pick up a rule 5 player he has to work out or you must release him. I like all that DeShields has to offer but I'm not sure that is the depth the Angels are looking for. However long term he could be Kendrick's replacement.

Edited by notti

You have to put him on the 25 man roster and keep him there. That means build that roster with him in mind as the spot left fielder and 2nd baseman, leaving the SS to Green to cover? It could work out but when you pick up a rule 5 player he has to work out or you must release him. I like all that DeShields has to offer but I'm not sure that is the depth the Angels are looking for. However long term he could be Kendrick's replacement.

I agree, DeShields has tantalizing upside.  But I think we're all forgetting about the off-the-field troubles.  Who's to say that if the Angels draft him and he's delegated to a backup role that he doesn't start pouting, raising a stink and causing all kinds of trouble?  I'm willing to give him a pass because he's just a kid and grew up rich and entitled and has a lot to learn.  But DUI, telling off coaches and teammates, being benched for not giving 100%?

Someday, he's going to be old and regret how stupid he was.  I just hope it's sooner than later and that it doesn't destroy his career. 

I think being made available to the rule five should be more of a wake up call that his antics of youth are over. If he doesn't get that the Astros have given up on him and they are a team in need of talented players then he will never get it. That's part of the vetting process all teams are doing right now, discussing which of these guys are salvage projects.

DeShields move to the outfield had to be because Altuve is a permanent fixture at 2nd and they wanted to see if they could put him somewhere else. For the Angels 2nd base would be an apprentice role, it may settle him down knowing that could be his in 2016 if he isn't a dick.

I really think the Angels will acquire one of the left-handed relievers available, a la the Brian Moran route but this time it hopefully works out.

LHP Targets might be: Andrew McKirahan (actually pitches better against RHH), Reymin Guduan (blistering velocity; 100 mph as a lefty) or Tyler Ybarra (High velocity, shaky walk rate but misses bats)

Also if the Angels trade one of our right-handed relievers, then we could acquire a replacement in the Rule V.

RHP Targets might be: Edgar De La Rosa (can dial it up to 100 mph), Gregory Infante (likely choice if the Angels want a pure RH reliever), Sean Gilmartin (another likely choice), Ryan O'Rourke (true LOOGY), Robby Scott (also a more likely pick), Luis Cessa (most likely pick for long man)

Cessa stands out to me as the type of pitcher Jerry Dipoto has been acquiring over the last couple of years. He has a good K%-BB%, a quality changeup, no noticeable splits (due to the changeup), and limits slugging decently well. He doesn't miss bats as well as some Angels pitchers but it is more around the league average.

The Angels could use Cessa in a bullpen role where his stuff might play even better or they could insert him as a long man for 2015.

This is an easy way for the Angels to pick up a reliever or two for 2015 and it really wouldn't surprise me if they took a flyer on one or two of these pitchers and then move a reliever or two off of their roster.

Of course they may take a flyer on a position player too but that seems a little less likely to me (Skole is a possibility as Scotty pointed out). It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Angels negotiate with one of the teams that has a first pick sacrificing their International Bonus Pool money to have that team pick up a targeted pitcher/player and then complete a trade of that player for bonus pool like they did with Moran.

Edited by ettin

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 17s18 seconds ago

#Angels acquired IF Tyler Featherston, who was picked by the Cubs in the Rule 5 draft, for cash #. Featherston will compete for IF job.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 18s19 seconds ago

That would be Taylor Featherson, acquired by #Angels. He's 25, played AA with COL last year. Career .276. Plays all 3 IF positions.

Edited by bloodbrother

Does he need to make the MLB roster if we got him in a trade?

Yes he'd have to make the roster or else he's gone. Looks like they are giving him a shot to compete for a roster spot

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 14s14 seconds ago

#Angels GM Jerry Dipoto said IF Taylor Featherston is "an athletic guy ... who will have an opportunity to stick with our team."

Yes he'd have to make the roster or else he's gone. Looks like they are giving him a shot to compete for a roster spot

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 14s14 seconds ago

#Angels GM Jerry Dipoto said IF Taylor Featherston is "an athletic guy ... who will have an opportunity to stick with our team."

Is that true in all the rounds of the draft or just the 1st round?

Excited about Featherston, good pop for a middle infielder.  Gives them a lot of security at 2B, 3B and SS.  Angels roster is a lot deeper now. 

Most importantly, second base. Losing Kendrick hurts, mostly his defense but now they have options. 

1. Green can replicate Howie's bat, but his playing time is largely dependent upon his defense coming along. High ceiling, low-floor option.

2. Rutledge had tons of success in the minors, which may or may not translate to the majors.  Fine defensive option. Low ceiling, high-floor option.

3. Featherston gives the Angels a power boost at 2B, and his glove plays out well. High ceiling, mid-floor option.

4. Alex Yarbrough does enough on offense and defense to be a complete player. Switch-hitter. High floor, mid-ceiling option. 

Excited about Featherston, good pop for a middle infielder. Gives them a lot of security at 2B, 3B and SS. Angels roster is a lot deeper now.

Most importantly, second base. Losing Kendrick hurts, mostly his defense but now they have options.

1. Green can replicate Howie's bat, but his playing time is largely dependent upon his defense coming along. High ceiling, low-floor option.

2. Rutledge had tons of success in the minors, which may or may not translate to the majors. Fine defensive option. Low ceiling, high-floor option.

3. Featherston gives the Angels a power boost at 2B, and his glove plays out well. High ceiling, mid-floor option.

4. Alex Yarbrough does enough on offense and defense to be a complete player. Switch-hitter. High floor, mid-ceiling option.

Does Rutledge have options left?

I would still like to see a veteran Lefty for the bench. Someone who can play The corner outfield.

Does anybody think they carry Rutledge, Green and Featherston on the 25 man roster?

Not a veteran, but I'm pretty sure we're going to carry Efren Navarro for that role. 

So wait, are you saying that we have to keep all these players we acquired via Rule 5 draft on our 25 man? That doesn't seem possible...

We acquired Pedro Ruiz, Kentrail Davis, Chris Curley and Taylor Featherston.

We won't keep all of them. Maybe 1 or 2 tops. 

EDIT: Featherston is a steal, and the only one I see with a real shot. 

Edited by laagamer