• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Carlos Perez

NachoPop

Doing well in winter ball. Hopefully he can get the backup job and replace Conger well.

Carlos Perez, C (VWL)

Stats: 29 G, 103 AB, .340/.369/.534, 13 XBH (3 HR), 15 RBI, 6 BB, 16 K

Perez, who was added to the Astros' 40-man roster shortly before he was dealt to the Angels, batted .259/.323/.385 with six home runs and 34 RBI over 88 games this past season in Triple-A. The 24-year-old has a chance to serve as Chris Iannetta's backup in 2015, though the Angels could add another catcher over the winter.

He’s having an overall strong season in Venezuela and has been an extra-base machine of late, with five doubles and a triple in his last 10 contests.

as per: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2290195-progress-reports-on-all-30-mlb-teams-top-prospects-in-winter-ball/page/12

Edited by NachoPop

So what's the depth chart at catcher?

Chris Iannetta

Carlos Perez

Jett Bandy

Luis Martinez

Anyone else that could handle the majors? Bandy is borderline but he could probably play back-up in a pinch. I think Dipoto will want to sign one more minor league veteran.

Edit: I added Martinez. Not sure if he's still in the org, but he played in Salt Lake last year - also Anderson De La Rosa, John Hester, John Buck, and Zach Zaneski. These guys come and go.

Edited by Angelsjunky

It's his defense that really matters.  That's why you'll see him in the majors.

As for all the talk that the Angels need a veteran backup catcher, BS.  They need a good defensive catcher that's young and inexpensive to backup Iannetta, and they have two of them in Carlos Perez and Jett Bandy.  They both offer upside and Bandy specifically has been praised for his athleticism, play calling ability and his work with a pitching staff. 

Those guys they can get in free agency, none of them will be much better than what the Angels already have.  

"Those guys they can get in free agency, none of them will be much better than what the Angels already have. "

Angels have crap for 2015 ... sorry I don't buy it.

it's a good thing they aren't looking to sell it to you.  

it's covered.  go back to worrying about whether the fans might hurt Hamilton's feelings if they don't like him.  

It's not much of a stretch to believe that one of them can match what Conger did last season.

But is that a good thing? We have to "hope" one of these catchers can hit .223/.293/.325/.618? That's horrible production. I wish we just had a backup that could hit .240 and get on base 31% or something...at least be serviceable. I hope Perez can do that but he's very unproven and Iannetta is not great defensively. Right now I don't see how people feel good about our catching situation

But is that a good thing? We have to "hope" one of these catchers can hit .223/.293/.325/.618? That's horrible production. I wish we just had a backup that could hit .240 and get on base 31% or something...at least be serviceable. I hope Perez can do that but he's very unproven and Iannetta is not great defensively. Right now I don't see how people feel good about our catching situation

"Hope" is your word, not mine. I was just pointing out that the bar wasn't set very high.

How many teams have a backup catcher who can hit and play decent defense? You are describing an all star catcher not a backup.

huh? I said it'd be nice to have a backup that could hit .240...that's not an all star LOL

Perez' AAA numbers are very pedestrian....don't know about his defense...concerning IMO

huh? I said it'd be nice to have a backup that could hit .240...that's not an all star LOL

Perez' AAA numbers are very pedestrian....don't know about his defense...concerning IMO

Carlos Perez, c

Perez, part of a large and talented but flawed catching cadre in Houston, is similar to now-former organization mate Roberto Pena. He’s an above-average defender, but the question is whether he’ll hit enough to see the field. Scouts believe if he can hit .240-.250, he can be a capable major league backup, which has incredible value given his defense skills. Perez was added to the 40-man roster by the Astros just before the trade. Last year, he was left off the 40-man roster and was eligible for the Rule 5 draft but was not picked.

Edited by NachoPop