• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson available for trade...

jordan

I think if he does get traded, it will be in February or maybe even spring training when the FAs are gone and some team is desperate for a starter

no, i'd have to think that's the least likely of all trade scenarios. it leaves the angels without a starter. their payroll isn't going to carry a FA and wilson.

I for one am hoping he bounces back. Not because i particularly like the guy or anything but because he should. Through the first 15 games last year he had kept his ERA at or around 3.5 and then... well... who know.

Last year the guy was probably our best starter so i hope he can fix whatever is broken but at the same time i wont loose any sleep if he ends up the lefty/long man out of the pen/spot starter

The Angels have suggested they aren't inclined to eat any of his $18 million annual salary, so it may be difficult. And considering the glut of available starters, as one rival GM put it, "Good luck."

Good luck, indeed. Especially after the season he had.

There's a glut of available starters? Can we obtain some, please?

I'm hoping we will sign a starter and CJ will be expendable by then and then make the salary dump right before the season when someone goes down in spring training on a team with poor SP depth (I.e. Most teams) and few other options. Then Jerry will be negotiating from a position of strength

that's what i was saying. i don't think the angels have any intention of being way over the luxury tax threshhold in spring training, hoping that somebody will need a starter due to injury. it puts too much pressure on them and relies on uncontrollable variables. not usually a sound budgeting strategy. like i said, i think that's the least likely scenario.

in my mind most likely scenarios in descending order:

cj stays with angels.

cj gets traded and angels sign james shields. because lester will have already signed with another team and scherzer is out of their price range completely.

cj gets traded and angels sign a lesser SP, like mccarthy.

Uncontrollable variable? Guys get hurt in ST every year, especially pitchers

yes. there's no way the angels have a plan of signing a huge contract FA pitcher, with a "plan" to get back under the cap when "someone somewhere sometime" gets injured. and don't forget that team has to also want to pay cj wilson 38 million dollars for two years.

that's not a plan, that's imagination.

lol

You guys call it Troll work but I call it reality. CJ isn't getting traded this season or next season.

CJ has had some really good starts and some some really bad starts ... which is why a team would consider a trade for him but ...

Jerry has made it clear he won't be traded if it involves eating a portion of his contract. Let's not forget that Wilson not Dipoto decides if he's traded.

PMT

You guys call it Troll work but I call it reality. CJ isn't getting traded this season or next season.

CJ has had some really good starts and some some really bad starts ... which is why a team would consider a trade for him but ...

Jerry has made it clear he won't be traded if it involves eating a portion of his contract. Let's not forget that Wilson not Dipoto decides if he's traded.

PMT

TD, Wilson has a limited no-trade clause where he can block trades to 8 teams. His full no-trade expired after the 2013 season per COTS Contracts.

So the reality is that Wilson doesn't have a lot of say in the matter if Dipoto wanted it to happen.

I'd agree that finding a suitor who will take on the entirety of the money will be very difficult. However if the Angels wanted to eat about $10MM they could receive something back.

Despite his poor 2014 results, Wilson is a left-handed 200 innings-eater and that is scarce and has value. In fact if you look at his Pitch F/X data you see that at least three of his pitches had a pretty high BABIP indicating he was unlucky.

Also his pitch velocities were all more tightly grouped which likely allowed hitters to time his pitches better. Plus his pitch horizontal and vertical movement wasn't quite as sharp which likely led to more hits against. His Cutter and Four-seam got tattooed more than normal which resulted in higher than normal slugging percentage on those pitches.

This would lead me to believe that Wilson just lost some feel to his pitches and/or he had a mechanical issue. The tight speed differentials might have been C.J., in the last half of the season, trying to just "get it across".

I don't think Wilson is done and I'd expect some bounce back. Likely Dipoto is advertising this in any negotiations.

The only way the Angels are getting rid of Wilson is to DFA him. You guys keep enjoying your fantasies.

Jerry Dipoto got the Yankees to pay $13M for two years of Vernon Wells. we could get better for CJ.

I think the Angels should just keep him unless some team offers a B level prospect or offers to take on a majority of the deal. Wilson sucked last year and he could very well suck next year but you're trading at his absolute lowest value. Plan on him being your #4/5 and have enough depth to cover in case he does suck again. 

The main reason I wouldnt mind if he got traded is because our manager doesnt know when to pull the plug.  Im afraid CJ could trot out there every 5th day for 3 months into the season and be terrible. 

CJ is probably the least of this teams worries though.  Keeping him as a 5th starter is worth it if he can rack up a decent number of quality starts. 

The main reason I wouldnt mind if he got traded is because our manager doesnt know when to pull the plug.  Im afraid CJ could trot out there every 5th day for 3 months into the season and be terrible. 

CJ is probably the least of this teams worries though.  Keeping him as a 5th starter is worth it if he can rack up a decent number of quality starts. 

Agreed. One bad start from CJ and he should be out. Unfortunately MS will probably trot him out there for a few months to try to see if it was just a fluke bad start or two instead of sitting him after his first dud. The season is only 162 games and the Angels have a ton of guys who could easily replace CJ so giving him time is going to kill this team.

TD, Wilson has a limited no-trade clause where he can block trades to 8 teams. His full no-trade expired after the 2013 season per COTS Contracts.

So the reality is that Wilson doesn't have a lot of say in the matter if Dipoto wanted it to happen.

I'd agree that finding a suitor who will take on the entirety of the money will be very difficult. However if the Angels wanted to eat about $10MM they could receive something back.

Despite his poor 2014 results, Wilson is a left-handed 200 innings-eater and that is scarce and has value. In fact if you look at his Pitch F/X data you see that at least three of his pitches had a pretty high BABIP indicating he was unlucky.

Also his pitch velocities were all more tightly grouped which likely allowed hitters to time his pitches better. Plus his pitch horizontal and vertical movement wasn't quite as sharp which likely led to more hits against. His Cutter and Four-seam got tattooed more than normal which resulted in higher than normal slugging percentage on those pitches.

This would lead me to believe that Wilson just lost some feel to his pitches and/or he had a mechanical issue. The tight speed differentials might have been C.J., in the last half of the season, trying to just "get it across".

I don't think Wilson is done and I'd expect some bounce back. Likely Dipoto is advertising this in any negotiations.

You're correct on the no trade clause ... he now can only block trades to 8 teams as you said.

I don't believe Wilson is done either. I can see him easily winning 12-15 games next season.

You're correct on the no trade clause ... he now can only block trades to 8 teams as you said.

I don't believe Wilson is done either. I can see him easily winning 12-15 games next season.

I too see him winning 12-15 games next season......if he starts 65 games.