• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does anybody think that...

The Angels location has an impact on free agent decisions to come here?  I mean sure compared to LA, Orange County isnt as glamorous.  But theres still great weather year round, lots of stuff to do, its peaceful, and you can enjoy the Southern California lifestyle without having to worry about all the nuances of LA.  Its also a great place to raise kids.  I've always wondered if free agents preferred being on the Dodgers or the Angels.

IT'S THE SAME PLACE. You really think that everyone who plays for the Dodgers lives within the confines of LA? Hell no. Just like not all Angels players live in OC. They're so close to each other it's irrelevant. It would be like asking whether players would rather play for Oakland or San Francisco based on where they're going to live.

IT'S THE SAME PLACE. You really think that everyone who plays for the Dodgers lives within the confines of LA? Hell no. Just like not all Angels players live in OC. They're so close to each other it's irrelevant. It would be like asking whether players would rather play for Oakland or San Francisco based on where they're going to live.

Yeah sure if you want to deal with 2 hours of traffic every day.

I don't think the majority of players would choose to live in either the areas close to Dodgers Stadium in LA, or in Anaheim. I've read and seen interviews where many players on both teams seem to like being in the beach cities in LA or Orange County - Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, et al. Distance doesn't always translate to time spent commmuting, either. I've heard of the Dodgers Express bus from Union Station, which is, I think two miles away, taking an hour and a half to get to the stadium because of traffic.

So regardless, they're probably all going to have traffic getting to work and they probably make their decisions based on a lot of factors - how they like the neighborhood, safety, price, schools (if they have kids), what the other players recommend, etc. Not the county. Just because they're an Angel doesn't mean they're in the OC; just because they're a Dodger doesn't mean they're living in LA County.

Having said that, many folks, inside and outside of baseball, find moving to Southern California *in general* to be a really appealing prospect. It might raise the stock for the Angels, Dodgers and even the Padres with some players. Certainly, living in, say, Manhattan Beach has a lot to offer over living in Detroit or Cleveland, for instance...

Edited by AngelsSurfer

This.

Most of these guys only live here during the season, and even then rheyre on the road about half of that.

The teams themselves (including stadiums) play a lot bigger role than the city. St louis isnt by any stretch a nice city, but they will have a mich better shot sogning guys than the mets the marlins etc.

I've heard of the Dodgers Express bus from Union Station, which is, I think two miles away, taking an hour and a half to get to the stadium because of traffic.

I can easily believe this. The last time I went there I stayed at a Holiday Inn two miles from the ballpark. I left an hour before the game started, and the game was in the bottom of the second inning by the time I got to my seat.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

In particular states without an income tax (Florida, Texas and Washington are those that have professional baseball teams).

That might depend, though. If they actually pull up stakes and live in that state, yes. However, it seems as though a lot of players actually live in states other than the ones they play for and have everything set up there. If they own property and have an off-season residence in another state, and their family stays there year round, and they're the head of household for tax purposes, they might be considered primary residents there and be liable for the state income tax. So they'd miss out on the benefits of the taxless state they play for. It probably takes a good accountant to sort it all out.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

I can easily believe this. The last time I went there I stayed at a Holiday Inn two miles from the ballpark. I left an hour before the game started, and the game was in the bottom of the second inning by the time I got to my seat.

If you would have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express you could have flown a helicopter to the stadium.

Taxes may play a role. You could be offered a lot less money somewhere else and come out ahead.

Cost of living has more to do with it than taxes. Obviously California and New York have some of the highest taxes and highest cost of living, but they are also more of the desirable places to live and work. Your post isn't accurate however. Players are taxed not by where they live, but by where they play the games. So if you play in Texas only half of your games (home games) would you pay no state income tax on your earnings. The games you play in NY will be taxed at NY state income tax rates and in CA you will pay their state income tax rate. So here in CA, what would the highest state tax be, about 13%. So if you turn down $165 million from the Angels to play for Texas, you would still have to get over $150 million from them to break even. I am guessing when all is said and done it is about 5% difference from NY or CA to one of the Texas or Florida teams. At least this is my understanding of it all.

Or you could have walk... oh wait.

Every player has different needs and different things they are driven by in free agency.  But with that said, I'm sure 99% of the time guys sign with whoever will give them the most cash and/or who will be seen as more competitive in the next few years.

MLB players have games basically every day during the season and half the time they're on an airplane anyways.  I don't think lounging on the beach is high up there on the wants list, unless you already live here in the offseason.