• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels only looking to upgrade top of the rotation

SoWhat

http:/www.angels.mlb.com/news/article/103067252/angels-expected-to-stay-the-course-at-winter-meetings

@Alden_Gonzalez: Key quote from Dipoto in that story: "If the chance to get better [in rotation] exists, it's probably gonna have to get better at the top."

@Alden_Gonzalez: That means #Angels aren't interested in trading for veteran SP who is'nt a *clear* upgrade over Weaver/Richards/Wilson/Shoemaker/Santiago.

I wonder if the team would consider trading Calhoun. If it were to bring in a very good, young-ish starter (along the lines of Andrew Cashner), it might 've worth looking into.

I think anyone can be had for the right deal but that leaves us with a solid hole in RF and in the lead-off spot.  We'd still have to sign someone on offense if we traded for pitching.

I wonder if the team would consider trading Calhoun. If it were to bring in a very good, young-ish starter (along the lines of Andrew Cashner), it might 've worth looking into.

After seeing what happened to the A's after trading away Cespedes, I'd advise against cannibalizing the major league team in a trade. Trading Calhoun or Howie would be a  huge mistake.

I hope "only looking to upgrade top of the rotation" isn't used to justify doing nothing however. With the M's and Rangers likely substantially improving next year, we need a lot more depth in SP to stay competitive.

Edited by ScottLux

If you could swap Calhoun for a cost-controlled starter, you could sign a guy like Nick Markakis or Melky Cabrera for a lot less than what Jon Lester will get (and conceivably within the cap).

Yeeeeah but we lose a draft pick if we sign Melky and it costs a lot more money to sign an older player. Obviously everyone has a price, but Calhoun and Trout are, and should be, here to stay. 

No way you trade Calhoun. He could be the best leadoff hitter in baseball next year.

Considering the rest of our offense is declining, were going to need him.

Yes, Trout is declining.

But I absolutely see your point.

Don't forget that Calhoun is still under club control for the next few years, which should help for future payrolls also.

Not that I'm entirely opposed to signing Lester, but I want to go on the record and say that if we're going to commit that kind of money (let's say 6/$150 million), I think a better use of the money would be to sign Moncada and Lopez and still have $50+ million available, even after signing penalties. Long term, those are better moves.

Not that I'm entirely opposed to signing Lester, but I want to go on the record and say that if we're going to commit that kind of money (let's say 6/$150 million), I think a better use of the money would be to sign Moncada and Lopez and still have $50+ million available, even after signing penalties. Long term, those are better moves.

That's the beauty of it. Moncada and Lopez would not count against the luxury tax, so signing Lester wouldn't necessarily preclude either Cuban player being signed. My guess is that if they are going to be signed, any deal for Lester or any other free agent shouldn't change that.

This is hilarious.  How many times have I preached the Angels are fine on depth, but should chase quality over quantity?  And how many people disagreed with this simple logic.

In almost all cases, Quality > Quantity.  Pitching included. 

How many of those who disagreed with me will now suddenly be on board with this "no-duh" idea just because Dipoto said it?  

This is hilarious.  How many times have I preached the Angels are fine on depth, but should chase quality over quantity?  And how many people disagreed with this simple logic.

How many of those who disagreed with me will now suddenly be on board with this "no-duh" idea just because Dipoto said it?  

I've always been on board with the idea of Lester, not Scherzer or No Game James.

If we somehow have the pieces to trade for someone like Hamels, I would probably not like the pieces that would go to the Phillies.

If it's a Howie for Zimmermann trade, hell yeah, I'm on board.

Edited by Mark68

You're the best man....I think we should all bow down to your genius behind our computer screens.