• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Online viewing jumps; traditional TV viewing slips (again)

I knew watching TV in real time on a television was dropping but I didn't know it was dropping so fast and that online viewing was rising so fast and to such heights.

The link is probably blocked by subscription, but to sum up, traditional TV viewing fell by 4% in the last quarter while online viewing rose 60% in the same time.

That's astounding.  Additionally, online viewing rose to 11 hours per month, up from 7 hours per month last year.  

Pay TV has lost 2.2 millions subscribers due to cord-cutting. 

http://online.wsj.com/articles/tv-viewing-slips-as-streaming-booms-nielsen-report-shows-1417604401?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

It's not surprising considering streaming sites provide most tv content.  Movies and sports are probably the only things not easily streamable.  but even some of those are becoming more accessible.  

I wonder, with the federal blackout rules being taken out, if MLB will open up the stream to local?  Because I bet for many here, that's the only reason why you would have cable is to watch the game.  Everything else can be streamed with a sub to whatever for a fraction of the cost.

The only traditional tv I watch is live sports, really. 

I've gotten to where I just wait for a season of a series I like to finish its run, and then I stream it at my convenience when it becomes available.  Right now, just waiting for Homeland and Masters of Sex to finish up.  

This is exactly what I do... watch live sports on DirecTV and binge shows when they're finished being broadcast on satellite/cable. I'll watch the morning news every now and then but that has become nothing more than sensationalism and YouTube videos.

I like DR's recent streaming/cutting the cord threads years after everybody has done it or known about it. I think Rally led this charge many years ago when just a few people knew about Netflix.

I'm too big into sports. I even have the tv on all the time showing ESPNEWS just in the background like a radio while I work or do stuff around the house.

I generally do the same thing with letting shows finish then binging them on Netflix, HBO Go, or On Demand. I actually don't even know anyone that watches network tv or reruns of Airwolf on TBS.

....airwolf was a badass show brandon.

Im too much of a movie junky to give up cable. I dont watch too many of the regular channels but im addicted to the movie ones. Does anyone know a cheaper alternative? I have netflix, but the movies are hit and miss. Theres a ton, but not necessarily the ones im looking for.

Cable costs a lot, its one of my few 'toys'. Id be interested in switching, but im addicted to hbo and starz

Im too much of a movie junky to give up cable. I dont watch too many of the regular channels but im addicted to the movie ones. Does anyone know a cheaper alternative? I have netflix, but the movies are hit and miss. Theres a ton, but not necessarily the ones im looking for.

Cable costs a lot, its one of my few 'toys'. Id be interested in switching, but im addicted to hbo and starz

One of the best theme songs as well.

We are kind of the same, outside of my sports fix, we don't watch tv or shows outside of the few "epic" ones, but even then we only have HBO for HBO Go. Honestly, the rest like Ray Donovan where I don't care to have Showtime, I simply stream online from a solid site and a solid sub link for the player that has no issues.

We DVR some shows like Shark Tank, The Profit, Tosh.O, but for the most part tv sucks and doesn't provide much....especially when you consider people can stream the few good shows like Game of Thrones, Ray Donovan, Mad Men, etc.

When we were working with TWC because of the HBO Go app issues the rep mentioned some people simply sign up for one of the movie channels just for the season of whatever show they like and cancel.

I probably wouldn't have cable if it wasn't for sports. I think we pay $130 for maybe 5-7 channels, maybe less than that.

I think HBO is starting a streaming service.  Starz may be also.

I've got a little weekend place in the mountains and I've been wondering if I can use my internet connection there and Slingbox connected to my Time Warner cable at my home.

Anyone know if this will work?

I have Time Warner and can watch TV from my computer by logging into "My Services". I can also watch shows off the DVR and control DVR schedules.

I just bought a ROKU yesterday and trying to figure out the limitations it has with Time Warner

But can you HDMI out the picture? I've got Time Warner app on the iPhone but it won't let you connect to a tv by HDMI.

I have the ROKU stick (HDMI) and literally just linked my roku to time warner. I'm currently watching live TV which is extremely clear on a 60inch TV. Now I don't know what would happen if I took my ROKU stick to another location....lets say to a nice little weekend place in the mountains.